Orris Root?

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I got an Iris in a trade several years ago and the tag said Orris Root. It has been moved around and this year is the first year it is going to bloom. I assume this is a species? Not a cultivar name. Can anyone tell me about it? Is there another name for it. I couldn't find anything about it in the plant files.

South Hamilton, MA

Orris root is ground iris rhizome used for perfume--often from I. pallida. Not a cultivar as far as I know.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I checked the HIPS photos and descriptions and found the so called "orris root" is actually 'Florentina', a natural hybrid going back to the 1500's. Orris root was the name of the ground roots used to make perfumes etc. Very pale ice-blue colors. Early bloomer. Should be similar to my pic. (not a verified florentina)

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info. The buds on my plant look like the buds in your picture. I'll post pictures as soon as it blooms. The person I traded with made just 1 trade on the 'other' garden site and then dropped out of sight. No way to contact her. :(

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

She was probably a ghost and just wanted that old iris with someone she knew would love it.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Try to preserve this particular iris although the old 'plain janes' are not in vogue. They are a part of history. Really not all that bad--blooms very early, up-close mild fragrance and tough as nails.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Here's a picture of the plant.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Here's a close-up of the flower. So pale blue it looks white.

Is there a definite ID on this? I would love to put the 'true' name on it. :)

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

LOL I guess you need to look at the picture don't ya.........

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
South Hamilton, MA

The old suggestion: get another & plant it next to it. Superstition gardens lists 'Florentina' for $5.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Last year I got Florentina from Superstition. It is growing well and will hopefully bloom this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.