WESTERN HUMMINGBIRDS VOL. 9

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

We came from here-

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1080137/

Here's one of my Rufous hummers to start us off.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This little lady Anna's was just sitting and watching all the birds fly by her.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

These two Anna's were just sitting on our deck railing and watching the rain come down.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I think this male Rufous was upset because there were so many hummers trying to drink from his feeder.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This wasn't that great of a photo, but I've been trying to get a photo of the tail feathers to decide if I was seeing some Allen's hummers along with the Rufous. It turned out most of mine, so far, are the Rufous. Notice the telltale "notches" in the 4th tail feathers from each side.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm jealous!

Marlton, NJ

Green with envy here!!!

They are so beautiful duc! The Rufous are gorgeous and the little Lady Anna is so precious!

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Klamath River, CA

Female Rufous.............(I think)

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pic adel!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Fantastic job Adel. Have you been able to count how many hummers you actually have yet?

One of my Anna's was trying to figure out how to drink from the Oriole feeder.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This one was through the window.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I haven't seen my Calliope hummer for a couple days so it may have already moved on.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This was a big crop, but this Rufous looked so pretty among the blooms.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots Duc! I especially love that first one!

Klamath River, CA

ducbucin........not sure on the count..not too many....they seem to come and go here.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2010 12:10 PM

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Geeez louizzzee you guys are making me so jealous.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I was wrong about my Calliope leaving our area. He was here last night when I was sitting out on the deck playing with the camera. Unfortunately my setting were all wrong at the wrong time, but I did get these.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

another one

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's one of my Anna's females.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

An Anna's male.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This is one of my younger female Rufous'. I've not noticed so much white under the bill on any of the others. This is what fascinates me with hummers. There's so much to learn about all the different colors they've got.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Great shots Duc! That Calliope is gorgeous! The Anna's and Rufous are beauties too!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Love the pictures of the calliope. Hummingbird envy as usual.

The few that I have gotten back are still not patronizing the feeders, at least while I am looking. I did new nectar just in case there was something wrong with the last batch, but nothing has changed. One was checking out the tulips I have on the deck very close to the feeder then took a look at the feeder and left. I sure wonder what is up here.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

MountainGirl, what does your feeder look like? I can't imagine them ignoring the free food. Are you mixing the sugar water 4 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar? I put fresh sugar water in my feeders every 4th day whether it needs it or not just to keep the mold from getting into the bottom of the feeder.

The feeder is a decorative globe with a copper base. It is the same one I have had in the same spot for a few years. Yes, that is how I mix my nectar and it has been well patronized in the past. I think my neighbor (my daughter Rarejem) has stolen my birds. She said something about having an almost empty feeder yesterday. A mystery.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Most of my hummers leave after their early morning feeding and I've seen them across the street in the various bushes and vines that contain lots of nectar at this time of year. The birds return now and then during the day, but not at once until about an hour before the sun goes down. Keep watch on your feeder during these times and I'll bet they'll return. Have you got a potted plant near your feeder that would attract them closer? I'm not sure there much nectar in tulips.

I'm sure your are right about the tulips not being very nutritious. Thank you for the suggestion. It is early here for potted stuff to be blooming, but I have some geraniums that I plan to kick out of the greenhouse this weekend and will find the prettiest red one to put by the feeder. We'll see what the evening brings.

Edited for typos.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2010 2:39 PM

PERTH, Australia

Three different types of hummingbird, Duc. Lucky you. Lovely shots. Were you using the new lens?

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks Margaret, yes, I was using the new lens. Love it!

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This one and the last are Anna's hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

A male showing his colors.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

One last one for today.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Excellent shots Duc! They are such beautiful hummers!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

No hummingbirds here yet. But I have a feeder out and expect them soon. Then I will put more nectar out. Have lots of daffodils blooming but I don't think much nectar there. Do have blooms on Lonicera syringantha, and they are deep pink so hummers should like those. There are Rufous, Calliope, and Black Chinned here.

My neighbor still believes in the old-wives-tale that hummingbirds ride here on the backs of geese or cranes. A few skeins of both have been flying overhead lately , She said the hummers would be here now since they could ride in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have explained to her before several times that is untrue but .

Donna

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Donna, I don't know about about riding on the backs of the others, but I do know that I keep a record of my arriving birds every year and they're pretty predictable. My Anna's come at different times and some spend the whole year here.

1st Rufous Hummingbird 2/26/10
2/26/09
3/22/08
1st Calliope Hummingbird 4/10/10
4/07/09
4/01/08

Marlton, NJ

Donna, That is hysterical!! It's funny what some people insist on believing. :-)

PERTH, Australia

Gorgeous, Duc. What's the highest shutter speed on the 7D?

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Margaret, here's all the information on the 7D, including the shudder speed-
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356

I think this is my largest male Rufous. He sure isn't very friendly with the other hummers. I'm still trying to catch a photo of him with a much smaller male.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Wow he is a handsome one!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

A Rufous looking pretty.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.