Golden Dewdrop (Daranta)

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Is anyone familiar with the golden dewdrop shrub?? I bought one at a local nursery and love the little blue/violet flowers. Please let me know your experience with this shrub. We never had these in Virginia when I lived up there. I think it will do pretty good here in southeast GA. Thanks, FF

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I am. I have a home in S. FL., where it is used commonly as a hedging shrub between lots. It tends to get a little helter skelter looking if you don't selectively prune it into shape and for that reason I think it looks best if there are several planted together to give a more dense appearance.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

FlipFlops,

I have one here in Jacksonville, Fl. that has survived winters & my hubbies pruning, for about 8 years.

You aren't that far away, so don't know why it wouldn't make it in your area.

They do get to be about ten foot tall & about five foot wide, so you will need to give it room or keep it trimmed.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thank you for the info. I have planted it where it has plenty of room to grow up and out. We have a raised house and it will give some nice greenery at the bottom level, I hope!! Isn't it exciting to try new things???

:) Definitely!

Atlanta, GA

Does anyone know where to buy a Golden Dewdrop in the Atlanta area? I have gotten them at Pike's in the past, and this year they acted like they had never heard of it. I think they are great, but need to replace them annually because they don't survive ATL winters. Thanks for the help!

Pikes was bought out a couple of years ago by Monrovia Nurseries. IMO it's like big box stores only nursery style and prices. Maybe try calling Hastings. There's another nursery minutes north on Pchtree. Industrial, but I can't recall the name. I'll try remember to get it when I drive by this week. Girlgroupgirl is usually good at this sort of thing. Also, south GA gardeners may know nurseries more likely to carry Dewdrops that will ship to you.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

dbwalter.....I don't know if this will help or not but I bought my Golden Dewdrop from Coastal Landscape @ 912-267-6922. They may ship to you. I think I also saw them at Lowe's here in Brunswick. Don't know if they just carry them in this area or all over Georgia. I hope you can find one. If I happen to be in the nurseries around here, I will ask for you. I have just about done all my planting and spent out for this year LOL

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

By the way dbwalter....welcome to DG!!!

Oh yes, thanks for pointing that out, Flip. A very warm welcome to DG, db!

Atlanta, GA

Thanks for both the suggestions and the warm welcome! (Or, semi-warm welcome, as the case may be, since we are having a bit of a cold snap in ATL...) I'll try above suggestions, and if you see the name of the nursery on P'tree Pkwy, ML, please pass along.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

DB,

Not familiar with the nurseries in your area, but know I can sometimes find them here in Jax, at Home Depot or Lowes.

Would offer you some cuttings of mine, but hubby cut them back hard last fall so we could get behind it to put in more banana trees. Will be sometime this summer before I can take cuttings again.
Will post them on my trade list when they are available.

Lori

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.