Cosmos 2!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

The last thread was getting a bit full. Self-sown seedlings are starting to appear. It's time for Tall Cosmos!

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm first over!!! How are you Daniel? I think that cosmos is just the prettiest thing. I love cosmos and am getting ready to spread out my cosmos seeds.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I haven't even done seeds yet. Of coarse I cheat also and buy flats at the local nursery. Trouble is they only have a few kinds, like Sonata and Sensation Mixes.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Seeds go in for me in May when everything else gets planted.

Hey everybody!
marti, congrats on being the first!! That's an honor few receive...lol

newyorkrita, how do cosmos react to being transplanted? I am under the impression that they hate transplanting. I don't think I have ever even seen cosmo plants for sale.

ge, when do they start blooming?

~Daniel

I buy them in flats at the local nursaeries all the time. They transplant just fine. Take off as soon as they hit the ground. Only trouble is there is not much of a selection as they only have the Sensation and Sonota Mixes. If you want anything else, you have to start them yourself.

No bicolors? Only tall and short? Hmm...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Blooms in July - November.

That is a bit earlier than sown by me, outdoors. Self-sown ones bloom in June. They put the others to shame. Except the doubles. lol.

~Daniel

I can't remember when the cosmos that I used to start from seed bloomed here. I haven't started seed in afew years. I do remember that they germinated quickly and grew very fast. I used to do them in some very large pots so just did the seeds in place as soon as it was warm enough.

Past three years I have bought the flats of plants at the nursery.

Melbourne, FL

This stunner was open today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

From the back.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

One of my first gold Cosmos.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Oh, I really like that golden orange color. I have seeds coming of the cosmos Cosmic Red and also of cosmos Bright Lights Mixed. S I really like the hot colors.

I like this one best Post #7704969 ; the lighting is so dramatic!

~Daniel

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

My white cosmos have germinated...outside! Yeah! ^_^ I just tried some and they did take a while, but not having to harden them off or damp-off...!Not quite the WS method, but it worked.

Melbourne, FL

This white has streaks of pink.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very pretty

I get some like that sometimes....

~Daniel

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice

Melbourne, FL

Little yellow Cosmo.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Golden Cosmo.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

I plant a bunch of Cosmos yesterday, Double Click, Picotee, Limara Lemon, Sensation White, and Seashells. Looking foward to seeing all their blooms.
Pom, I like those sulphers! They look better than mine did last year!

Happy Spring!

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I am so behind in planting my cosmos seeds. Hopefully I can get a bunch planted this weekend. I did get Tetra Versailles Red done and they are ready to be planted out...First year for them, but I am really looking forward to seeing them bloom.
I do have volunteers from my Bright Lights Mix coming up. I agree about the hot colors. They were amazing last year...very happy to see them coming back up on their own.
These great pics are making me want to get my seeds out right now...little dark out there, but whatever, lol!!

I never have cosmos blooming this early. Were they from self-sown seedlings or W/S? What is the best way for early bloom? Indoors in January?

Sorry for all those questions, as I am just learning about the cosmos....

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Melbourne, FL

I started some early in peat pots, but most of mine are ones that came up from last years plants....most I had to transplant since they were bunched together.

Rain will be making my Cosmos come up nice and big....

~Daniel

Melbourne, FL

Still love the pretty striped look.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

gardenpom ~ you are quite the photographer! Lovely!

Melbourne, FL

Thank you evelyn.

That's even better than the first one!

~Daniel

Melbourne, FL

Cosmo macro.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Cosmo beauty.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

WOW!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice

Excellent!

~Daniel

Melbourne, FL

Almost pure white. I do see a couple small pink streaks.

This message was edited May 5, 2010 8:50 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted Gazebo White dwarfs. I will scatter the Seashells where I want them.We still have cold nights so I dont want to cast all my seeds.

Melbourne, FL

Golden Cosmo again.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Cosmix are coming up. I hope to get 'Little Princess' in the White tomorrow.

~Daniel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.