My neighbor got rid of his GH!

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

When my neighbors bought their house about 2.5 years ago, about the same time we bought ours, it came with a small greenhouse on the property. They said that former residents had a little girl with a terminal illness and she wanted a greenhouse and Make A Wish was able to install one for her - that's the story anyway. He said it was a nice one with automatic venting. It was sort of a "saltbox" shape for those of you in New England or elsewhere who know what a saltbox house looks like.

A while ago we were chatting and he mentioned that they wanted to start gardening but were pretty new at it, and I told them with that greenhouse, which I envied, they would be able to grow some nice plants.

But, yesterday a bunch of pickup trucks showed up, along with my neighbor towing a large flatbed trailer behind his truck, and they loaded the whole thing on the trailer and towed it away. I'm guessing it was maybe 8 x 10 or 10x12 or something like that? I never saw it up close.

I assume he sold it, or gave it to someone he knows. But..... argh! If I'd known they didn't want it, I would have offered to buy it. I hope it went somewhere where it will be used and enjoyed.

Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

I know how you feel in a much, much smaller way. Several years ago I wanted some hellebores and contacted every gaden catalog and nursery I could find to obtain some. None were available. DH and I went to a neighborhood get-together later and one of our neighbors said, "We got rid of all of our hellebores, they were so ugly. We pulled them up and threw them away." Had I known I would have gladly taken them off their hands! I have since been able to obtain some and they are a joy to see in the wintertime when everything else is dormant.

Thumbnail by JeanK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.