Can I use a tree for a trellis

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

One of my weeping cherry trees died last year it's about 12-15 feet tall, am wondering if any of these vines would work to cover it? hyaacinth bean, red cypress, sweet pea lathyrus, bengal bean or moonvine alba? The approximatee diameter at the top with the weeping branches is about 6 feet, thanks, Annette

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Absolutely! It would cover quickly with the moonvine - it gets massive.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, I just planted some passion vines at the base of some dead smaller trees...

This message was edited May 27, 2010 1:03 PM

Clarksville, MD

Here is a photo of multiblue clematis climbing up a tree.
I use a hammer and large staples to help the vine attach to the tree.
I planted the roots about a foot away from the tree, with the vines aimed
at the tree. This vine is 3 years old.

Thumbnail by rileyobo

What a lovely scene! You are fortunate! So many trees!

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful piece of property. Thanks for sharing. Annette

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Don't forget clematis and climbing roses too, although they will have to be trained.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

How beautiful!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

rileyobo,
That is great! And it looks like it's quite shady. I have read that clematis will take quite a bit of shade. How much sun would you say that one gets?
Thanks,

Clarksville, MD

The tree with the multiblue clematis growing on it is right on the edge of the woodland. You can see the grass lawn starting at the bottom of the picture. There is about 10ft of lawn and then the back porch which also casts lots of shade. So I am guessing it gets around 1 hour of light in early spring and by now It is in full shade but bright shade because the white painted porch reflects light into the garden.
I have been experimenting with clematis in the woods for around 3 years now. I have some like the multiblue that bloom and a few that just just send up vines. I will be moving those as I find time. It seems like the light colored clems bloom better in the shade than the darker colored clematis. You can tell where I planted the roots by looking at where the soaker hose is.
Here is another photo of a Nelly Moser clem growing up a tree. It grows slower but puts out more flowers.
I am thinking it behaves that way because it is a lighter colored clematis.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much. That is very interesting info because I have lots of shade, and of course, we all want flowers there too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.