Viburnum pics

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Please share your photos of this magnificent genus!

This is judii. Wish you could smell it!!

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Mohawk getting ready.

Shasta, in her green period. You may say boring, but I say wait!

Judii fully opened and smelling wonderful.

Mohawk.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

So darn busy this week, but I've got to squeeze at least one in this morning.

Viburnum bitchiuense...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Victor must be in a vivacious Viburnum vacuum...

Here's 'Cayuga' - my top fragrant form.

Nice! My Cayuga is still young. Waiting for the ONE bloom to open.

Here's my 'Mohawk'...

And Viburnum carlesii Spiced Bouquet™...

Nice. My carlesii Compactum has opened. Heavenly scent. I'll get a shot of it. How big does Spiced get??

Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Fulbrook'...

Pretty sure Spiced Bouquet™ is standard sized for Koreanspice Viburnum. It was selected at Johnson's Nursery near Milwaukee for flowering and foliage quality. It will always look better for you northern gardeners than it does here in the Ohio River valley.

All my plants are relatively young (5 years or less), and have had the added bonus of being blasted in the 2007 Easter freeze and then visited upon by the 17 year cicada emergence in 2008. Oh, and regular pruning visits by bunnies.

Just call me Ramses...

Good testing ground!

So it is written; so it shall be done.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice pictures guys!

Village of Port Clem, Canada

Do you know how best to start these Viburnum. I have tried mid season cuttings, to no avail. My neighbour has one that I covet, but it doesn`t seem to want to root for me.
Any Suggestions. She doesnt`have a name for it.... its old.

I have had success using rooter pots. Gt mine from Lee Valley Tools.

http://www.rooterpots.com/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What is the Viburnum that they say doesn't smell too good?

There are a few. Blue Muffin is the worst one that I have. But it gets great berries.

Viburnum dilatatum (Linden Viburnum, like 'Erie' or 'Catskill') and Viburnum dentatum (like Blue Muffin or Autumn Jazz) are two species of viburnum that, ah...well...have fragrance that may be off-putting, shall we say.

This really is a function of one's individual sniffer. I don't recall ever having any objection to Linden Viburnum prior to planting five of them as the mainstay of the Valley's foundation shrubbery. With time and growth, however, when the plants are in full bloom on a warm late spring/early summer day - I frankly wish I had roses or lilacs there instead.

The fruit is out-of-control fabulous, though, as victor notes - on both these species. Plant them where you can see them in all seasons, but maybe not have to embrace their olfactory extravagances.

Yes - what they lack in fragrance they more than make up for in critter food.

I had the great foresight to plant one Blue muffin about 20 feet from one of three dilatatum Erie. It's an area to avoid in a few weeks!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

My Mohawk died. I've had a few that look like a borer or something got into them. Last year it was my Michael Dodge. Not all that I brought back from TN died, but a lot of them. My Blue Muffin is right outside our dining room window. We haven't noticed a small.....so far anyway. Birds sure do love the berries. I also have one that looks like maple leaves and new leaves are reddish and it turns really red in the fall. I lost the tag, so I can't remember the name. Red Feather I know might be it? I dunno. Anyway, last year we had 60 mph winds and the wind must have whipped around the house and uprooted that one. I left it, hoping that not all of it was dead, and some of does have leaves on it. So I'll it heal for awhile. Not sure how long I should let it heal, maybe a year? Anyone?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.