peonies

West Islip, NY

I'm looking for my Big Ben peony that I planted in the fall but I see no signs. The other types from previous planting have started. Should I be worried?

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine are about 5-6 " tall now, give it a little more time, micro climates can be tricky. ☺

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

mine are only a few inches up as well

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Some of mine are rather large, up to 8 inches tall, others are just a few inches, some are still just red nubs pushing up from under the soil and leaves. The tree peonies, on the other hand, already have flower buds!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

My peonies are also in various stages of growth. They are pretty hard to kill so I would be a little more patient. The only thing you can do to harm them usualy is to plant them too deep, in which case they will not bloom well. If they have been fine in the past I would not worry.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I planted 5 new ones last fall....can only see the top of one right now. I'm not going to panic until around May.....then if I don't see them I will scream. You'll prob. hear me in New York when I do. :)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

will be listening!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i think we got our at the same place celeste:) mine have started to show their faces - yours will be fine.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I think so too, but thanks Bill :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I did a Peony hunt today to see who was up and who was not or MIA. I didn't find four and a bunch are missing tags, but at least they are growing, name or no name. I started putting up the supports, but need more rings. Patti

Paeonia lactiflora Butch inkberry bed FOUND!!!!
Paeonia lactiflora Madame de Verneville dell iris bed middle MIA
Paeonia lactiflora Miss Mary chocolate bed MIA
Paeonia lactiflora Sandra Marie narrow bed middle FOUND!!!!

Paeonia lactiflora Age of Victoria peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Ann Cousins slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Blaze slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Buckeye Belle slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Charles Burgess slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Chief Wapello inkberry bed
Paeonia lactiflora Dinner Plate driveway bed
Paeonia lactiflora Early Glow long bed east bed
Paeonia lactiflora Festiva Maxima long bed west bed
Paeonia lactiflora Festiva Maxima middle perennial bed
Paeonia lactiflora Garden Glory hot bed north
Paeonia lactiflora Garden Lace peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Honey Gold peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora In the Mood slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Jan Van Leewen lower herb bed
Paeonia lactiflora Lady Alexandra Duff peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Largo peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Lorelei narrow bed west bed
Paeonia lactiflora Many Happy Returns slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Merry Mayshine slacker bed
Paeonia lactiflora Pink Hawaiian Coral peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Primevere peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Raspberry Sundae peach bed
Paeonia lactiflora Stellar Charm long bed middle bed
Paeonia lactiflora Tom Eckhardt peach bed
Paeonia suffruticosa Pink peach bed
Paeonia tenuifolia Early Scout Hot Bed north

Paeonia mlokosewitschii Jmaple bed Not Yet Recieved

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010 2:06 PM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh my goodness... that's a lot of them!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

what kind of rings do you use patti? single hoop with grid or a simple single hoop, or a double hoop?

i have all three here.

btw - that is a LOT of them!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, I use what ever I have, which like you, includes them all, but I hate them all. I think next year I am going to try to use bamboo and twine on some to see if I like that better. I just hate all that metal in the garden. I have tried to add ones that have "sturdy" stems, but many are still kids and I won't know if they hold up on their own for a few more years. Floppy is bad.

I started to add more peonies after seeing Boojum's garden a few years ago and one that was just amazing. Funny thing is that I still don't have that one, but I will visit hers this year. I think it was called P. Scarlett O'hara. I just hope I planted them at the correct depth and I get blooms, lots and lots of big smelly ones! But some of these are not fragrant, just pretty. Pretty is good. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I used to use the old English way of staking floppy plants. They use branches trimmed ,stuck in the ground.The plants grow thru. In the fall the branches can be disguarded or kept.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ge1836, I have done that in Vt. for some things, but need to try that with the Paeonia Plants.

I found two of the missing 4 this morning while transplanting things. I would be amazed if I found the last 2 as many were from coops and cheap sources so they had a rough start. Can't wait to stick my nose in the first one to bloom. Patti

South Hamilton, MA

We have to stake the ones from my home in WI. Tentively 'Sarah Bernhardt'. but certainly sentimental value.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.