Strawberries And Cream Hydrangea

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Right place, right time. Went to Lowe's today to get some garden stuff. A guy working there was pushing a wheeled platform (whole thing still wrapped in plastic) and all I can see through the clear wrapping were masses of pretty rosy-red and white flowers in pink pots. And then... wait a second! Those are hydrangeas. So I chased the guy and made him cut the clear wrapping and lo and behold - Strawberries and Cream Hydrangeas!
I bought one for $14.99, as you can see in the picture, planted in a 16" pot. This one is a compact variety. Free flowering, will reach 4' tall in the garden or 3' tall in a pot.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

A closer look.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Yulee, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow! That's an awesome color. I've never seen "strawberries -n- Creme" Hydrangea in any of the garden centers here in Florida. Lowes always has a huge selection of different types, but I haven't seen that one. That might mean I can't grow that one here. "Oak Leaf" is my all time fav but I've never had any success with it. It never blooms for me and the leaves get really nasty looking. Good luck with it, it's beautiful!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It's sold out so many other places. Weird that Lowe's has it. Thanks for the heads up!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Quote from cmegarden4u :
Wow! That's an awesome color. I've never seen "strawberries -n- Creme" Hydrangea in any of the garden centers here in Florida. Lowes always has a huge selection of different types, but I haven't seen that one. That might mean I can't grow that one here.

Just because you're not finding it at garden centers or your Lowes doesn't mean it won't do well for you. I think it's a newer plant so not everyone will have it. If you can grow other cultivars of H. macrophylla then you should be able to grow this one too. (Oakleaf is a different species, not macrophylla).

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Strawberries and Cream® is making it's season debut. From what I read Tesselaar Plants had a sneak peak of this variety October last year. At the moment, they are being sold/marketed as 'gift giving' plants probably for Mother's Day. It did came with pink tissues and a plastic pink pot. $15 is not a bad price for a big flowering plant and given the fact it's a new variety (fancy packaging included).

It also mentions it can be enjoyed indoors for a while as it already comes blooming but can be planted in the garden and is very suitable for containers being a compact variety. Hardiness zone 7-10. Care is the same way as any other macrophylla.

Mother's Day is still about a month away, so you may be surprised to see them popping in garden centers in the next couple weeks. Also you will be surprised time to time as to what Lowe's offer in their garden centers. Last year they got newer varieties of echinaceas in gallon pots (already flowering) at almost the same price when buying plug sizes online on most mail-order sites.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

How lucky for you to be there at the right time, don't ya just love it when that happens! That is such a beautiful color and I'm so glad for you that you can grow such a beauty in your zone! And at a great price to boot. WOW!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think I might make a trip back to Lowes today

Not at Lowe's in south NJ yet. She said they are getting a new shipment this week coming up. I will we be back again this week looking for it.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

That is so pretty and the color is fantastic!!! Is it bright pink like in the photo?

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Lili - The actual color is a little darker. Rosy pink to reddish blend.

Marie - make sure the person you're asking knows what you're talking about. A week after I bought mine, there were a few left hidden behind with the new arriving plants. A few days again, they were gone.
Two weeks ago, I went there to get Amber Carpet Roses I've seen few days before but can't make up my mind if I want them or not. All the amber colors were gone. A guy that works there told me "oh don't worry, we get shipments all the time. But instinct told me otherwise to get a different color. At $14.99/gallon container and being the most-sought after landscaping rose, I know they won't last. Ended up getting 2 scarlet, 2 coral, and 1 pink supreme. 2 days later came back and ALL the carpet roses were sold-out. Been going back there hoping for new shipments and the amber color. Ask for the manager and he told me he can't guarantee new shipments as each store got quotas as to how many they're getting depending on availability from suppliers.
If it's inconvenient for you to go there all the time, I suggest you keep calling and always ask for the person in charge of the garden center. I'm lucky Lowe's is just about 10-15 min. drive from my house.

Mine is not far away about the same distance as yours. I am going to check my other nursery too. I am also looking for the vanilla strawberry .I will take either one.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Lowe's got new shipment of Strawberry and Cream Hydrangeas just in time for Mother's Day. I was there today and they got a roller rack full of them.

I will check my lowes on Monday

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I got a small one at Lowe's I think spring 2011 just a couple half crispy stems in a six inch pink pot for a couple bucks clearance. Been in the ground two winters now and now is gorgeous. SOme DG friends were over last week and all loved the color.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Since I have a very high ph, all my hydrangeas are pink. Except for a few that are lace cap true blues and the Lime light and Strawberry Vannila, which grows like the Lime Light.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I love that so much! I wish it were hardy here!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.