How long are JM seeds viable?

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 11:42 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not sure how long they are viable - i have done the same as you with fresh seeds and it has taken them two years to germinate - this has been discussed before here if you do a search of threads or maybe check the sticky for info.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 11:42 AM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Sowing seeds outside is not a good idea if they do come up you will have a weedy mess. I have learned that the hard way ... stratifying and growing them in liners is the only good way and that is a crap shoot without right conditions and constant care ... instructions are available on line in many places just google it. Viability of four year old seeds is questionable some may germinate ..most seeds will have some viability if they don't rot but it may be 1 in a thousand and the smaller the seed the less viability it will have over time ..some small vegetable seeds are basically "done" in one to two years ..larger seeds like corn maybe 3-4 but if you call 10 in a thousand viable you are much more of an optimist than I.... I doubt you will find info on any research on JM seeds viability anywhere its a pretty obscure question but yes you are likely waiting for a miracle. just plant a tree.Davidsan

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 11:43 AM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Also remember seeds are seeds No seed can be guarenteed true to it's mother plant you may get one that is the simialar or different.... trashy or even nicer... but a seed grown Shishigashira is just a no name Japanese maple called lets say Clyde or or jones or smith, bob jenny bertha buella etc if one is to be ehthical about it.... although there is nothing wrong with a Clyde or Bertha JM it just ain't the real thing ..it cannot be called or especially sold as the tree it came from.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I have japaese maples in pots getting seeds. Wonder if those seeds will grow? Love my little trees.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Galien, MI

I have heard from an expert of some japanese maple seeds germinating after 7 years. The dryer they got before planting, the longer they might take to germinate. This is the exception, though.

From what I have found, a large number of the seeds from some JM trees are sterile, even though they look fine. Once I do a cut test and find out a percentage of viable ones, I can get about 50-70% germination the first year. The second year I have a few more that germinate. It is possible that I have had some in the third year, but I doubt it. I have a spot where I throw all my floaters - the ones I think are sterile, which has a critter screen attached to prevent them from being eaten. Each year, I get a few growing from that tub.

If I were you, I would dig up some of that spot, and check for seeds. If nothing is there, they could have been eaten or disintegrated. If you still see good ones, you can keep babying them. If you aren't sure if they are good or bad, cut open one or two with a razor. Bad ones will be brown inside. At least you will know what to do in that spot.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 11:43 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.