JM from co-op? Who ordered?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Has anyone heard as to when the trees will be shipping?
I was expecting to give one for an easter gift. I have not heard anything for over 3 weeks.

Milford, DE

Send "beakerlj" a Dmail. I am sure she would be more then happy to help you out.

Dave

I did.

Milford, DE

Maybe you can contact admin. They should know who had a co-op and where they are. I hope you did not loose any money over this. From the looks of last years pictures I would assume as I have said in the past that they came from the West Coast and were sent to someone on the East Coast before going to bleakerlj and then to customers. If in fact they came off the West Coast which I believe then I would assume that you might not be gettting what you ordered. They have had a early Spring and the leaves are from what I undersand to far in growth for shipping.

So again contact the Administration of Dave's Garden and see if they have any contact for bleakerlj.

Dave

Milford, DE

You also might want to check her membership page and try to contact others that have done business with her.

http://davesgarden.com/members/beakerlj/

Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Just checked Beaker's feedback and the people raved about her Japanese Maple coop and said they hoped she had another this year. I hope for the best. I didn't spend a lot of money but don't like to lose any either. I have a lot of faith in her. Give her a chance. Don't worry about it until you know you have something to worry about.

Jeanette

Here si the message that Beakerlj sent me.

Hi Marie, I'm still in the process of getting a hold of everyone following a computer wipe, so I'm glad you emailed. Our order is on backorder, delayed. I talked to them last week about this. That warm spell we had a month or so ago messed with their projected shipping plans, so some previous orders got moved up before our order went in.
If you know anyone else who is doing this also, feel free to pass this along. I think I've got most people contacted by now, but not everyone.
Thanks, LJ
I am worried that they are too leafed out to ship now myself.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Leafing is not a problem if the person knows how to handle them,in this case I doubt it ..ALL reputable nurseries can ship almost all summer to anywhere .. the problem does arise if then shipmenrt takes a week or more ... buying from far away west coast nurseries in summer or for that matter in winter can be problematic if you live on the east coast If it is a two to three day ship you should be fine unless it is 100 degrees . .. The current delay is from the west coast there are no trucks avail they must be refrigerated to 45 degrees .. a fact that likely may not be the case with buget priced merchandise. Dave is correct the whole thing is likely bogus IMHO these are west coast trees resold IMHO.

You must also be very careful of rave reviews .. if it is a newbe or a person who has bought ebay twigs they may be very happy with just about anything that doesn't come folded or dead!! Tree size is all relative to the seller as a collector I bought trees I thought were great large and healthy and found out later as I bought from other places they actually were NOT anything to wriite home to mom about ... And it can vary from year to year. One seller I know use to sell really nice sized larger stuff reasonably ..now it is tiny.... So there are many factors involved here that gave and still give me pause. Davidsan

I bought from her last year and the trees that we got were very nice for the price. I dont know what happened thi syear, I am sure she is getting them from the same place.

Milford, DE

My fear is the bare rooting. Last year they were dormant and bare rooted. If they are leafed out and bare rooted this year then I would think you could kiss them good bye. I guess no matter what happens you can always chalk this up to lifes learning curve.

Two weeks ago I dug a A.P. Royal out of the ground bare root. The buds were just popping. The growth is now over 3" long and growing. The plant is approx 2" cal. 6' high and sits in a 45 gallon container. I had grafted this back in 1994. I just made it in time and most likely will have to hold on to it well into the summer to make sure that I am satisfied it will make it. I did this to 5 Red Dragons last year and they all made it through the winter. Infact they re-rooted through into the ground again.

Dave

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Dave is correct buying bare rooted dug plants is a crap shoot ... many sellers sell SEMI bare root Jms taken out of pots that allow for reasonable shipping of larger trees . This is differnt since there is still some dirt on the roots they are watered and wraped and then replanted in just a few days they are only out of their pots for max 3-4 days.trees out longer than thata week are at risk even like this.. Most bare root trees are fall dug (some late winter) all dirt is removed and they are put in cold storage they are shipped very early spring or late winter which is also problematic since if they freeze in shipment they are history.. This is not great for JMs especially if they have leafed and are going to take 7-10 days to get to you or longer if a third party is involved as is likely in this case ...but does seem to work for other some "shade tree sbut even with those there is a higher death rate ..Keeping any tree in cold storage too long and dormant is also testy at best the longer they are in cold storage in spring the more likely you will recieve a dead tree or dieing one.... if this is what happened Dave is right they probably were afraid to ship them..and they are now now potted them up for local sale on the west coast or grown up and sold as larger trees next year . Buying total bare root and balled and burlap is not advisable for JMs...

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Another tip that everyone should heed . Paying for your trees in advance is a bad idea . it is also a red flag that something is NOT right . you should be charged only when shipped and if you pay by check it should be AT shipping time. There are many reasons for delays and patience is always a good thing to have .. most reputable sellers DO NOT want your money til they can ship your trees it makes life easier for everyone. For the seller delays getting his stock ready or have a tree that is not saleable is not so exasperating while sitting on $$ paid .... and for buyers who will not be worrying about getting ripped off. Paying in advance is not good for man nor beast... Davidsan

I agree with everyone. I am going to ask for my money back. I just hope she has not already sent them the money. I think this is the same group that she got them from last year.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Do what you want Marie, but I think all this Monday morning quarterbacking stinks. The doom and gloom statements made here before the plants are shipped or any decisions by the seller, who might decide against sending them and return the money on their own is very disturbing.

And to say you shouldn't pay for a plant prior to receiving it is ridiculous. What Seed catalog vendor sends you plants before getting your money? Bluestone? J&P? Logees? Come on. That statement is totally off the wall.

Not only that, if you pay thru Paypal they will make sure you get your money back.

Edited to add: BTW, this was not a coop as in DG. It was on Marketplace.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2010 10:51 AM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Actually it was billed as a "coop" both last year and this year and Daves FORCED it into the marketplace about aa month ago!! because it was NOT proper ..You have misinterpreted WHAT I stated .. and maybe it wasn't clear .. OF COURSE you pay before they ship but with most JM companies it is at the TIME of shipment .not a month before on the ruse that the person uses YOUR money to buy the trees IE: a coop...paying a month in advance there is a big differnce .. and with MOST "reputable"companies your credit card is NOT charged til they ship.period.. Davidsan

Gee I did not mean to start an argument here. But I do understand all that everyone is saying. I too agree that it is not right that we all payed a month ago and still have no trees. I am also sure that the person doing this is also concerned with what is going on. She now is between a rock and a hard place.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, have you asked her? I have 4 other batches of plants out there, including the helebore coop for which I have had money paid for over a month and still have not gotten the plants. I guess maybe I am the sucker here along with (I wonder how many other people are buying helebores, coleus, hostas, and can't remember the rest) in the same orders I did and sent their money in ahead of time. I don't see anyone sweatin' those.

I wonder why this one is an issue? I have never dealt with Ms Beaker before, but have not found a reason to call the plant police on her either. How much of your money is she holding on to Mr. Davidson? What do you think they, other coops, are doing with the money collected if not giving it to the growers like Mr. Bleak for bulbs and irises, etc. Why is it ok for him, them, but not in this instance?

Marie, can you answer any of these questions I have? Never mind, just wondering.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

No $$ from me I just never thought it sounded right .. the coop thing is essentially a good idea and maybe that is how they all work ...but it has and had no place here in the forums as do not any sales ...Coops as a rule have some paid employees but these I guess are all volunteer. volunteer organizations are always a crap shoot they depend on peoples honesty and abilities ... thats why most fail...unless they have a string leader that is actually paid ... and all coops are not created equal .. some are just set up as such but actually are business such as Electric coops just like non profit organizations .. some are actually like the good Habitat for Humanity and some are not so "good" like Blue cross Blue shied .But in the end paying for anything a month or more in advance is putting allot of trust in both the coop leader and the place they buy their plants from.. The old sayings are apropos here ..."if it looks to good to be true it probably is" and "you get what you pay for " and"a penny wise and a pound foolish . and there are plenty others ...I would say you just got lucky last year and you may be ok this year but I personally wouldn't ever want to trust a "coop" with my $$ up front..Selling Japanese maples keeping track of orders collecting $$ ( in advance" ) organizing them and caring for them in the interim period between getting them and shipping them, communicating with the buyers making sure the right plants get to the right people and packing them security and shipping them with little or no infrastructure or facilities and is allot of work .. any one doing that for a couple of free trees or because they are "nice" peeps is either nuts or something else is going on...You are basically running a nursery biz without a license and beyond any legalities, without experience in caring for Jms running a successful biz and usually with little or no biz experience whatsoever. This it is no walk in the park it is very hard work!!! Maybe some folks romanticize this as some do owning their own biz ...but it is hard work long hours and not very romantic especially if you are doing it for peanuts if that is the case here D

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have been watching this thread and will add my two cents now:)

before last years jm coop lj and i traded some plants and everything went as planned - from what i know of the jm coop last year it also went as advertised - not sure what the issue is this year although i do know that she was not allowed to do a coop as it was for profit at least from whoever the grower is so it went to dg marketplace - what ever the outcome is i am sure folks will either receive the trees ordered of get a refund from lj.

as for coops i bought a lot plants last year through dg coops and was satisfied with most of them - you just need to know going in that the plants will be small. jnette i am also in the hellebore coop this year and have no problems waiting for the plants to be shipped.

All i asked was did anyone who had ordered hear anything. I never meant for this to be a tit for tat thing.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I am sorry it has come to this Marie, I know you didn't mean it to. Yes, I ordered one and I will wait just like I do for every other coop. Yes wha I knew on the helebores, just like every other coop that you pay your money and wait. I was using that as an example for Mr. Davidson only.

He seems to know how the coop situation works, but none of the coops I have participated in on DG were run the way he describes. Guess I got in on the wrong ones, 'cause the ones I was involved in went just like they were suppose to.

Thanks Jnette.

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

**deleted a side note about coops, felt it unnecessary at this juncture**

However, when you criticize someone who is taking the time and effort to try to do something for others that hopefully will save them money, especially when you are a business that sells those items, it seems more like you dont want us to get those deals because you want the business.... just a thought.

I received two VERY nice trees this year and three last year... I am not a collector and I have been to numerous places and seen the size and quality of others and AM VERY VERY happy with mine. Thank you Beaker!!!
Ill try to post pictures when I am at a better computer (one with USB drives that work :-).

I received mine also. I was very pleased with what I got.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

The thing is, you could say the same thing D is saying about anybody and everybody that sells on Marketplace, the classifieds, ebay, Craigslist, on and on.

I received my tree and love it. It is not small, and I have seen the same size at much much higher prices.

I left feedback for Beaker and hope the rest of you will do the same.

Jeanette

Let me ask a question, how did this become a negative post again. It started with me just asking if anyone had heard anything. I was concerned since I had not in a month. I knew more had ordered from her. I just wanted to find out some info since I had not. It was never meant to be a slam against Bj nor any other marketplace person. Believe me I have ordered a lot of stuff from there and I have been very happy with 98% of what I got and I will order again from there. I would like to see people stop posting on here if they are to continue to make it a bad thing.
If you got tree's from Bj this year , just say that you were pleased with them as we all did last year. We were so pleased and happy that we posted our baby's for months up until the fall.
No more negative, no more slamming, no more anger. Please.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.