They DID bloom!! ID please

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

My iris did bloom this year that I transplanted last year! We couldn't ID till they did.
Can someone help me please ID what kind I have:)
They started blooming 04-01-10. A year and a day after I transplanted them!! I'm soo excited:)

Thumbnail by ejennings
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Another pic

Thumbnail by ejennings
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The first ones to bloom in the spring. I would say they are Germanica. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

If these are tall with huge blooms and tend to fall over, I would suggest William Settchel. Mine have bloom stalks but none are open yet.
Check the plant files at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36971
William Settchel's are prolific in many yards of old homes in West Texas. They are a historic iris hybridized in 1938.
They are also listed in the Argyle Acre's Photo Catalog: http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_detail.asp?iris_id=489

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

The William Settchel looks like it too!
I just took another picture. Here's another picture of them

Thumbnail by ejennings
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

another

Thumbnail by ejennings
Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Good photos. I'm glad you're excited about them because I'm kinda' "ho-hum here come the William Setchells again." The rhizomes are hardy here in drought and heat and neglect. Their blooms, bigger than my cupped hands, are awesome and dependable/reliable in this area which is more than I can say for a lot of the expensive new hybrids I have planted in recent years. Does San Angelo have an iris show? The Midland iris show is Sat. April 10th and the Odessa Show is Sat. April 17th. In years past it has been easy to enter William Setchells in the "Three of a Kind" category and win a ribbon of some kind.

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I have no idea if we have an Iris show. I went to the Master Gardeners Plant sale last weekend and only knew because my neighbor told me about it. These are my first iris. I'm tickled they bloomed this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.