No see ums

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Okay.....now that the no see ums are out by the millions, what can I use to keep them from biting when I am trying to work in my yard? I didn't have these little pests when I lived in Virginia. Don't get me wrong.....I love it here but still getting use to it.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I have not tried it (because I am toxic with Cutter's mosquito repellent as soon as the bugs come out and don't need any more stuff spread on me) but my brother who fishes in the everglades told me years ago that Avon Skin so Soft keeps them off.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks missingrosie, I will try to get some. Does anyone know if you can buy Skin So Soft or do you have to go thru an Avon Rep??

Omega, GA(Zone 8b)

buy it off the internet and have it shipped to your house.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Palomino!!! Never thought of that DUH!!!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

My cologne in the summer is deep woods off.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I think that's going to be mine too! Usually these little pesks go away when it get hotter but then it's time for the May flies and they are even worse. By the time the bugs get better, then it's too hot to go outside and work in the yard. Of course there's the mosquitoes at that time. That's the price you pay when you live close to the marsh; but everywhere down here is close to the marsh LOL It's very beautiful though and the trees and plants are lovely!! So are the birds and butterflies. And the people are so warm and friendly.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Chiggers are next... at least in my area. Oh my what a pain they are! I wonder why I didn't have problems in 2008, but lottsa them in 2009.

The drought?

Dahlonega, GA

I keep a can of deep woods at each porch and in all corners of the yard . If I miss putting it on when I come out of the house , then I can grab a can in the yard , don't have to go back to the porch .
What did people do fifty years ago ? digger

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Digger, I don't know what they did except maybe they had stuff to wipe on their arms and legs. I went out this morning and sprayed my head, arms and legs & even took some off my arms and spread on my face and back of my neck ugh!!! Only way to keep from getting eaten alive!!! My neighbor did tell me they will go away in a couple of weeks. My yard is coming along though and I have really been busy planting. Today I put in day lilies and pot of gold lantana.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

If I get on my face - I get a rash.

Off makes 'wipes' that are a little easier to take as compared to the spray which can feel cold when getting dressed early in the morn before heading to the garden. .

Dahlonega, GA

I spray it on my hands , then rub it all over .Goes a lot further , and if yours go away in a coupla weeks , I need to move down there . These only get worse as the weather gets warmer.
It really hurts when I get bitten on the back of my hands, or between my fingers .
If you get in the shade , they are worse , but can't stay in the sun all the time . digger

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I was just told this morning by a neighbor that dryer wipes or listerine works. I didn't have any dryer wipes so I took some Downey and spread on my arms & legs. Makes your skin nice and soft HA HA It seemed to help for a little while or either it got warm enough they went away. They seem to be not as bad in the middle of the day. When I was talking to my neighbor out in the driveway this morning you could see them flying around by the millions!!! Can't even sit on my front porch and drink a morning cup of coffee.

Dahlonega, GA

Hmmmm ! digger

Omega, GA(Zone 8b)

Sweet women, i just love all of you! I've tried taking a Tablespoon of vinegar each day....also tried leaves from the beautyberry shrub....seemed like it worked some.

Dahlonega, GA

They love me . The vinegar ought to make your mucles a bit more firm . My ex took it for that . digger

Omega, GA(Zone 8b)

One additional thing to note......is never wear anything scented to the yard/garden. No perfume, no scented deodorants....bugs and the sort love the flowers and smells just like we do.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I know if I have just washed my hair, they will bite my head like crazy. I should wear a hat but I don't most of the time.....I just get too hot.....just like I don't like to wear shoes. Had a very close encounter with fire ants last year because of that, but that's another topic. Maybe if we didn't take a bath for a week and were stinky, they would leave us alone LOL Actually, after I spray with bug spray, I feel that way!! I am going to try the listerine and see what that does. Palomino, where is Omega GA??

Omega, GA(Zone 8b)

Omega is just about 10 miles SW of Tifton. We're not too far apart.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I work for a few years outside and can tell you a few things. First is don't smell to good. LOL. Hair spray, gel, mouse whatever in your hair will attract no see'ums like crazy. Same with perfume. Next step if possible is cover up as much skin as you can which of course is dependent on how hot you want to be. I've found fishing clothing from Bass pro is breathable and will stop no see'ums. Hat is a good idea to keep them out of your hair.

I have only found two things that work, off deep woods 40% deet and skin so soft. A little trick I learned from the guys up in Parris Island is cut the skin so soft with rubbing alcohol. It's not as greasy that way but a good layer of straight skin so soft will stop the gnats. For a few years I had no choice but to stand in a cloud of no see'ums day after day so I have a good understanding of those little demons. We tried one of those Coleman bug catchers and that worked to a point. Those work by burning propane to make CO2 which attracts the gnats and they get caught in a net, work better for mosquito's. Problem there is when the number of people are putting off more CO2 then the machine, the gnats just go for where the biggest source of CO2 is or at least that's how it was explained to me.

Hope that helps.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks CoreHHI. I also found out DO NOT dig in the ground around sunset!! They are not as bad in the middle of the day when it is warmer. Listerine didn't work too good. Will try your trick with the skin so soft and rubbing alcohol. Also going to try the dryer sheets. I think I just need to go out and be brave and let em fly!!! HA HA Of course I need to stink like a pole cat to help keep them off of me.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Time of day, temp, sun light and wind all are involved. No see'ums have a limited temperature range something like 65-75 degrees. A decent breeze will stop them and I've seen people use those big high volume fans on their porches to keep the see'ums away. I would for sure stay away from digging around sun rise and sunset that's when the Gnats are most active.

LOL, here's a place to get a sweat shirt. http://sandgnats.milbstore.com/store_contents.cfm?store_id=67&dept_id=-1&product_id=10523

Blackshear, GA

Hi Flip,
As you may remember we have a house at Brunswick ( Dovers Bluff). Was there last weekend and the sand gnats were horrible, but even worse the yellow flies were starting. A little early for them. Then once they leave, usually the horse flies start, so have to say, you are in a major bug area. But once it does start getting above 85, they do seem to be less. (sand gnats anyway)

Found any goods deals lately. Visited Ace last week and I think that is the first time I haven't left from there without spending $50 or more. Just bought one thing. Waaa!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.