Ok I did it!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I know, I know I shouldn't have, but I planted some tomatoes this past weekend after seeing the weather forecast. The plants were just too big for their peat pots and I couldn't keep them watered in this heat. Also placing them in the shade started to cause them to get a little too spindly. So far they are thriving with a little watering in the evening. Now I have to get past the cool predictions for this Thursday and Friday of 60/45's but I'm hoping the ground will stay warm. I'll probably cover them with 2 liter soda bottles. I'll be hovering over them like a mother hen. Wish me luck!

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

and? Alive and thriving?

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes they are still doing well. I also put some more tomatoes and peppers in this weekend. Hoping to get a head start before the heat comes on. I don't imagine your thinking about it yet in Ellijay?

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I have no room for veges. Too much shade. I could try some of those upside down plants, but they want $45 at Home Depot!

Atlanta, GA

By upside down plants I assume you mean the Topsy-Turvy ones? They were only $10-12 at Home Depot when I went a month or so ago, so I decided to try one. So far it is working great, except I tried to put two plants in instead of one. It says you can do that. Anyway, one is doing great and the other one is kind of sickly and not growing much. It is a different type of tomato, so maybe that is why. I was also concerned when I put them in because you have to squeeze the stem into a slit in a piece of plastic foam. Seems like that could damage the stem. So maybe that happened. Anyway, it definitely seems to work with one plant.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Yep, I got one of those. Curious to see how well it works out. Very slow start and looked unhealthy the first two weeks. Now greening up.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

peppers like shade here in ga/sc mine do not like the heat.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from imzadi :
peppers like shade here in ga/sc mine do not like the heat.

That's curious imzadi...everywhere you see propagation for peppers it says loves heat. But I think that's made for northern states. I can truthfully say that I have planted in both sun and in shade (partial) and the best plants that seemed to do very well for me was in pots on my patio in part shade. So I agree with you on that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.