Question about growing in pots??

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Has anyone grown a banana canna in a pot?? I have two plastic pots there about the size of a whiskey barrel cut in half.. I think there big enough to not break from the roots.. My question is well cannas get root bound or stunted growth from being in a pot.. Should I expect them to do just as well or not so great?? Last year I have banana canna's that were about 8-9 feet tall.. I would love to have this in a pot...
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428
Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Smurf428,

I was taliking to the folks at Horn Canna Farm the other day and they said they plant four cannas in a half whisky barrel for display purposes around the office. I don't know about the "Banana Cana" variety.

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh thanks, we've decided to plant something else there and the cannas behind the pool.. My mom is planting red stripes in her pots so we'll see how those due..
thanks again
jen

Austin, TX

I have tiger leaf/ orange flower (it was a gift, don't know the kind) in a huge pot and it's 6' now with it's first bloom about to open. I started with a 5g gift bursting at the seams, put it in the next sized pot, it survived the freeze and was again crowded but not yet root bound, and now is in a 24" pot and doing well.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

thanks good to know.. I planted one in a pot in a rock garden hopefully it does ok and my mom planted 4 different ones around her camp site also in pots so we'll see..

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I have grown cannas in pots for years.. they do very well.. go for it! ... just keep them watered

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I presently have my canna's in pots. I'm lazy and do not want to take them out of the pots for winter. If the pots are inside a heated building, will the canna's be okay for the winter?

Thanks!
Linda

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I store mine bare roots in the basement, I do the same for my elephant ears.. My hubbies grandfather stores his elephant ears in the pot with dirt and just breaks them up every few years and they do fine.. I dont see why the cannas wouldn't be ok left in pots.. I would be more concerned about the heat.. I know i store mine in my basement thats about 60* and once march comes around it warms up and the cannas start to grow in the bin.. If its to warm where you store them they might not go dormant.. I dont know how well they would do if grown indoors...
jen

Thanks so much for the info. I would be storing them in an outside building that is only heated to a little above freezing. Not major heat. Should I not water them at all during the storing period?

Linda

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I dont water mine but again I store them bare.. I know the only issue with dirt is you may have bugs in the soil that could damage the roots over the winter.. I would say if the dirt gets really dry then ya water a bit so the dirt wont dry out the roots..

Thanks so much for your response. I'm going to wait until the first frost or two and then store them in the building in their pots. Wish me luck!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Yay! I came to this forum looking to ask the same question about wintering in a large pot in the garage, and here was my answer! hehe. Thanks, folks! :)

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Wherever you store cannas, just be sure they will not be subject to freezing temps while in storage.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Fortunately, it doesn't freeze in our garage. :)

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I received my cannas (Richard Wallis)in 2 full 6" plastic pots Sept of 2009 at a DG Roundup. They stayed in those pots, on the porch, till spring when I trans-planted the those bulging pots into big clay pots along with other plants. This is one of the big pots, getting bloom in July.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

This is what they looked like, in the same pot, in November. Multiplied and taller.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

This is what it looked like last week after a week of early morning temps from mid 20's to mid 30's at the end of Nov and the end of Dec. Our days warm up though, from mid 50's and 60's to actually 70's and 80's this week, so we do not have ground freeze. I wondered if the clay would be too cool for them. When a friend in OH talked about taking bulbs out to store, I was incredulous of all that work.

As you can see in this photo, there is still green inside (even a surviving Gerbera Daisy). Should I cut back all the brown foliage, or is it keeping the green parts sheltered?

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

wow in a clay pot, your lucky these usually shatter when you grow canna in them.. I would suggest before another season you either split them or put them in another pot..
If your not going to get anymore freezing temps you can just cut off all the cannas and new shoots will start.. Cutting off all the brown leaves i think would make the plant look to battered..
jen

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Battered? You want to see battered? We had a week of rain here (unusual for Southern California) around Christmas and the horses' corral looked like giant mud puddles. Now, we have sandy soil, so typically have fast drainage, but the horses' weight makes that ground more compact. DH decide to let them have the whole yard to wander around in. Yep, BUFFET! Their favorite seems to be Queen Palms and Fountain Grass. No biggee on fountain grass as it is going dormant and needs to be cut back in Feb/March.

Here is a photo of that area last June.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is after their buffet time. Of course, I have to take into consideration deciduous trees and the tomato garden and the left being gone.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I seem to have hijacked the the canna forum with my tirade, but here is one parting shot. When they finished stuff they liked best, they started munching on the Mexican Fan Palm. They also started just plain nuisance tossing of plants in plastic pots on the patio. I hated hearing that while in bed, as our bedroom windows are over that patio.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Morgantown, WV

Anyone buy the cannas on qvc?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I grew my cannas in very large nursery cans this year... it worked really good.. I watered them periodically and yeah they took a hit with some hail, but they managed! Im thinking nect year to put the nursery cans in our water hole and to see how they would do out there.. but I think the deer would have a field day..

It was the second time tryign them.. my collectionis awesomely growing!

Im looking for a white and green varigated leaf canna.. dont know the name, dont care the color of the flwoer, just want it for the leaves... anyone got one.?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

stuttgart?? is that the one your talking about.. I have been looking for a few years for that one, purchased 3 now and when i received the root it was just a dried up or molded mess.. I will never order cannas from a nursery or website that isn't specialized in cannas again, what a waste of money... I'm waiting for one of the well know canna growers here to get one and finally grow there collection enough to sell them..

I sadly had to leave all my roots behind when i made a huge move this summer from canada to alabama. we wern't sure on the rules for moving with plants so we opted to just leave them and start new once here.. I did however bring all my seeds, but there not type true cannas, you can get a mixture when growing from seeds.. I planted red stripes for example and only one of the 6 that grew were red leaves the other 5 had green leaves. I had to grow all my cannas this year in pots, only cause i didn't start them till july and hoped to keep them growing a bit longer in a greenhouse, but they seem to be stopped.

Next spring i will be having a baby in april so hopefully not to long after that i can start another collection, adding a few a year and hopefully get my collection back.
jen

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Congrats on the baby smurf! Wow! movng is never fun. Last time I moved.. we dug up an acre of perennials..literally thousands of pots and then towards the end we just ended up uprooting them and todding them nito the bed of the pick up... it was a job replanting and we did try to landscape, but things got tight toward fall and end of season when we were not done and it became a "plunk it: garden jsut to get them back in the dirt!

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Smurf!

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

Moving from Canada to Alabama? Lord have mercy! I hope you don't have to carry a child through the heat of an Alabama summer.

You might send out a help call on the cana forum in order to replenish your cana collection. Hope you have some land where you can plant your canas. Alabama should be perfect for canas.

Why did you folks move???

Recommended viewing: Forest Gump! LOL :)

Good Luck

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Nope i'm due the end of april so just in time for the heat.. Its really not that hot, you get use to it pretty quick.. Now when it gets down to the 50's i'm freezing.. right not were renting, i have a small spot i can plant but just did it in pots this year.. Then if we move its easier to move them too.. Ya i was thinking about asking for some help for postage, but will wait and see with the baby how much i want to take on..
Well my husband has always wanted to move to the states, he believes its a better life.. He started working for a company and they have a plant down here so once his 3 months were up he asked for a transfer.. With in a few months we were here, guess its really hard to get people down here with his experience.. So far we love it.. They say the cost of living is way lower, yet we still blow all the money he makes :) i think its my fault though lol
Seen forest gump years ago and hate it, hubby loves it though
jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.