Transplanting a maple tree

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a young (5yr old?) maple tree that is about 15 ft tall. I planted it out of the way at the edge of my yard until it would be big enough to mow around. It has filled out nicely, it's not perfect but neither am I. My question is when should I move it to it's permanent home? I live in NE Ohio. How close can it be to the house and septic lines? I am always in fear of damage from tree roots. One more thing....how far and deep should I dig around it?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Honestly I probably would have planted it in its final location right from the start and protected it with some fencing or something so it didn't get damaged by the mower--it's going to be stressful for both you and the tree to move it now. Depending on how wide the trunk is & how full the top growth is a 15' tree could be quite a challenge to transplant (but on the other hand I've seen some trees that are very, very skinny and tall so if yours is one of those then it won't be as tricky). Here are a few links on transplanting that may help you
http://www.ehow.com/how_14665_transplant-tree-large.html
http://www.savatree.com/mature-tree-transplants.html
http://www.essortment.com/all/treetransplanti_rart.htm
I'm not sure how maples are close to foundations, but you should definitely make sure the roots won't grow into your septic drain field--even if the roots aren't invasive you generally aren't supposed to plant anything substantial there.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I'd plant it as far away from your septic field as you can. Some Maple tree roots can become a real problem especially if you have one of the hybrid types that are a cross of Silver Maple.

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info. I also have a large willow tree that may cause damage in the future. I guess I will have to hire someone to cut it down, but I have always heard that willow roots keep growing even after it's cut. It's right on the edge of my yard and I worry that it will make problems with my neighbor's septic. Any suggestions for willow roots? :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know how best to get rid of it, but willows shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a septic system--they have terribly invasive roots and will cause problems.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Tree roots normally grow outward to about three times the branch spread. Only half of a tree's root system occurs between the trunk and the circumference of its canopy. Roots on one side of a tree normally supply the foliage on that same side of the tree. Thus when roots on one side of a tree are injured, the branches and leaves on that same side of the tree may die or wilt. For some trees however, such as the maple family, the effect of a root injury may show itself anywhere in the tree canopy.

In time a maple can lift sidewalks and driveways plus have large roots on the surface which can make mowing a challenge. We have to have our sewer line cleaned out yearly because of the maples.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.