Winston-Salem Lilacs

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

My grandmother had the loveliest, sweetest smelling Lilac in her garden. I transplanted a root cutting some years ago and it is finally blooming this year. I've always heard they take a few years to establish themselves and bloom. I think the cold winter we had here in western NC helped it along this year. I can't resist going out in the back yard and sniffing on it several times a day.

Thumbnail by bungalow1056
Conway, SC

That is so beautiful. I am very jealous that you can grow lilacs. No such luck here in zone 8.
Isn't that a wonderful way to remember your Grandmother?

Mamaw always had the prettiest plants and flowers. She had all the southern heirlooms and old-fashioned plants in her garden. I'm lucky to have transplanted many- the lilac, peonies, narcissus and irises. I often pray to her when I'm in the garden, hoping she's helping keep watch :) The lilac has quite a story. I transplanted it 10 years ago, moved it with me when I bought a new house 5 years ago and rescued it from a horrible case of powdery mildew a couple of years ago. I thought the drought might do it in last year but lo and behold... I do a little happy dance every time I see it in bloom.

By the way, does anyone have any idea what variety this Lilac may be? I know that hundreds of species have been cultivated. This one was originally my great-grandmother's so it's at least a 100-year old specimen. Thanks!

Thumbnail by bungalow1056

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.