Can I prevent sprouting? How?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The limb was removed 3/27/10 and I do not want any sprouting or branching. How can I stop it from happening or is it not possible. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I would just knock them off as they grow.
But wait for a pro to answer.

Thanks but they come on very strong. I'll have to be on my guard.

Someone said she was told by the guys who took down most of her cherry tree that unless she painted the cuts with Round Up it would sprout. I'm too afraid of trying it and killing the tree though it's always been my understanding that RU only works on leaves and greenery.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Putting roundup on would definitely be a bad idea!

Resin

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Resin, I was the one who had a wild cherry tree cut down,we had them leave a large stump ,the power company guy,that cut the tree down told my dh to paint the top of the stump with round up to keep it from sprouting ,which wild cherry trees will do with a vengence .what do think ? Unlike pirl, I want a dead stump.I know I hate round up too.

A friend told me about Brush Be Gone and said it works.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

You can use roundup if you want to kill a stump completely and stop resprouting. But not if you want to keep a tree alive and just stop sprouting from one sawn-off branch stump.

Resin

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's a product called Sucker Stopper--I wonder if it would work for this? Their website makes it sound like it would. http://www.montereylawngarden.com/faqs/suckerstopper/

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks ecrane3,wish I had a bottle of that years ago !!!! Iam going to use round up,its a huge stump,Iam going to remove all plants from around the tree stump,Ihave darn mole runs and chipmunks, have the bed totally under mined. And I dont want to kill any flowers.Pirl might want to use suckerstopper over R-UP,Iam going for the big gun !! thanks for helping

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

From your earlier post it sounded like you wanted a dead stump...this is a growth regulator not an herbicide so it's not going to kill anything. In pirl's situation where she doesn't want to kill the tree this could be a good solution, but if you want to kill your stump this is not the answer.

Thanks, ercane. I'll try and find it locally or online.

We do have one stump from an unwanted seedling that placed itself behind the woodpile in the dog's pen so it was hard to get to but yesterday my husband used a hand saw to cut it down to about 3" and I did spray it with RU.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.