Milorganite

Spooner, WI

I'm starting this thread to help document my success with using Milorganite, and to get any feedback on the fertilizer. I'm primarily using it to deter deer, but added nutrients in the soil shouldn't hurt either.

I spread "by tossing scoops across the gardens" almost an entire bag (40lbs?) of Milorganite this weekend, in my gardens that are scattered around an acre. The smell is... interesting... Not sickening, but DEFINATELY potent. You noticed the smell for hours after I spread it. I left for school, so I won't be back to check on the continued smell, but I'll ask. My niece is watching for signs of deer-damage, and if that happens, will spread a bit more. We used some on her gardens too. When I got back to my Duluth home, I still smelled the fertilizer smell on my hands, after thoroughly washing them several times. I can see how this would work.

Anyone else working with this product?

Normal, IL

Yes, I bought two 40 lb bags of Milorganite last week. This coming weekend I'll spread Preen (yellow, the weed preventer) and Milorganite in all the flower beds, and spread on the yard using a broadcast spreader. Until I am certain that there will be no more freezing temps, I spread Milorganite lightly. If you go lightly, you can spread several times through the growing season. Probably a good idea to spread only around the plant, not on the plant.

I'll probably ground up the leftover alfalfa cubes, not used in my alfalfa tea for the roses, and spread between the daylilies.

Good luck.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I bought some a couple of weeks ago and plan to put it down today or tomorrow. I've only heard good things about it, so I thought I'd try it. Will keep you posted!

I'm curious to see if it really deters the deer. Hmm - is the smell similar to perhaps chicken manure fertilizer? I used to use that when I could buy it at Frank's but haven't seen it around for years. Have been tempted to try the Milorganite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.