Hyacinths and their bloom times??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, bulbsters, I have a question for you, if you please:

I am wondering if anyone out there (Chris?) has kept any records on the bloom times of various hyacinth varieties??

I am trying to match up hyacinth orientalis with my different daffodil varieties and would like to know which hyacinths bloom earliest and which are later bloomers?

I can't seem to find this info on any of the bulb suppliers' sites.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Bumping this up. It is a great question.

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello,

Sorry to have been absent for the last couple of weeks. My computer had a motherboard meltdown !!( and I had a 'panic' attack about possibly losing my photos) but, I finally got it back, today. Indeed, I do have some data on bloom times. Of course the exact weeks are only relevant for my Zone 9, but the I think I can find some groupings by early, mid and late that should be easier to translate to other zones. I need to go and analyze my spreadsheets, but I will post on this thread..

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I think that might be valuable info to have posted on DG! So happy you have it!

And sorry to hear about the computer~~always so traumatic to have a meltdown. )-:

Hi, bulbsters!

Thought I would bump up my question about Hyacinth bloom times in hopes Chris might have some thoughts.

I am still trying to match up my hyacinths and other bulbs!

Thanks. t.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi tabasco,

This is only a start. . . . .and you probably already know about it. . . . .but BRENT & BECKY'S has a column on the right side of the page that shows a partial list of bulbs & other plants with similar bloom times for each item you look at.

Since there are many varieties of Hyacinth Orientalis, it might be somewhat useful if you went into several of them. I've also noticed that they frequently change the plants they show in that list so each time you check on the same Hyacinth you might see a different list.

It obviously won't be as in depth as you'd like, but might help some if you haven't seen it before.

Of course, we all know that on any given year bloom times can vary, which is one of the reasons I love bulbs so much. . . . .the surprise factor!

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 11:57 AM

Honey Brook, PA(Zone 6b)

Alright now, that's not fair. I just noticed my duplicate post and went to edit just the second one, or so I thought - not realizing that the edit would be entered for both posts, lol. 
When typing out a comment on my iPhone, 99% of the time, I type it in notepad then paste it onto the web page. OF COURSE my original post here was one of the 1% that I did not do that for. So now my original post is lost (I think - or is there a way to bring it back?) And for my future reference, is there any way to delete a duplicate post?

I'll reply about the hyacinths shortly. Thanks for all of your help :)

This message was edited Sep 17, 2013 5:19 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The only help I can offer is that Woodstock (the purple) and Primrose Yellow bloom here April 8th with not much difference in a warm spring than a cool one.

Thumbnail by pirl
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Sharon and welcome!
The problem with trying to get specific blooming times is that most info on Hyacinths list them as early to mid-spring because it can vary with different zones or planting sites. I have Jan Bos and it blooms mid-spring for me in part shade.

I would imagine you're Zone to be 5 or 6 so I'm guessing it would have a similar bloom time for you.

Brent and Becky's is my favorite bulb website and they're a Garden Watchdog "Top 5" for bulbs. For many years they were on the Top 30 list of all garden websites, but other sites have moved onto that list.

Here's a link to their Hyacinth page where you can compare some of the varieties. I don't know if it will be specific enough on time periods, but it may still be useful.

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/genus.php?genusid=33

I'd grow many more (and have in the past) except for the deer issue.

NAN - loved the B & B page and Miss Saigon is so very tempting.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi pirl, welcome back! It looks like we cross-posted earlier.

I've considered Miss Saigon many times. I'm really drawn to the rich red and purple varieties. My next favorites would probably be the deep blues, although I should probably get the one called 'Chicago', just for the name. It must be new.

Thanks.

The gemstone colors really are my favorites and so many hyacinths come in those colors.

'Chicago' is very pretty - buy it!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I grow many and bloom time for me is almost always the first two weeks in April, but as my computer is in the repair shop with all my photo's it is hard to be exact. I will post here as soon as I have it back. The exception are the Roman ones which bloom the earliest with Tete a Tete and the Hyacinth multi-flower Hyacinthus orientalis which are a tad earlier too.
Patti

Hyacinthus orientalis
Red Magic
China pink
Carnegie
City of Haarlem
Sky Jacket
Anne Marie
L'Innocence
Blue Eyes
Delft Blue
King of the Blues
Marie
Woodstock
Miss Saigon
Peter Stuyvesant
Gipsy Queen
Aiolos
Atlantic
Purple Sensation
Fondant
Koh-I-Nor or Blue Ice
Blue Pearl
Pink Pearl
Purple Voice
Firelights
Raphael

Hyacinth multi-flower Hyacinthus orientalis Festival Pink
Hyacinth multi-flower Hyacinthus orientalis White Festival
Roman Hyacinth, French Hyacinth Hyacinthus orientalis var. albulus

thx. for all the follow ups on the hyacinth timing, everyone.

Somewhere several years ago there was a gardeners' blog online where the couple kept careful track of their various hyacinth varieties bloom sequence because there is really some difference I believe. Then they were able to coordinate them with different narcissus varieties which they also kept track of and other blooms as well. Now I can't find the blog.

And I think Old House Gardens or one of the serious hyacinth commercial growers had the bloom sequence info on their website. Can't find that either.

Anyway, maybe this spring bb and other bulb fanciers will be able to keep some records of the dates each variety comes in to bloom...I'm going to try to but I'm always disorganized and distracted and can't make sense of all the date by season's end!

Haven't been on Dave's Garden in ages and it's nice to see all the old posters are still planting and posting away!

Cheers for the New Year, tabasco

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Some bloom dates or at least the date when I took pictures of them when I noticed them in bloom. I mostly have only photos on this computer for last 2 years, but will post more dates for these plus others not on this list at some point. Hope it helps some. Patti

Hyacinthus orientalis

Aiolos 4/13/11
Anne Marie 3/20/12
Carnegie 4/10/12 4/1813
City of Haarlem 4/07/12 4/18/13
Delft Blue 4/18/13
Firelights 4/04/12
Fondant 4/04/12
Gipsy Queen 4/10/12 4/18/13
King of the Blues 4/18/13
Koh-I-Nor or Blue Ice 4/17/12
L'Innocence 3/29/12 4/18/13
Miss Saigon 4/20/13
Peter Stuyvesant 4/18/13
Pink Pearl 4/04/12 4/18/13
Raphael 4/10/12 4/18/13
Woodstock 4/04/12 4/18/13

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Last year, we planted Tete a Tete daffodils and Hyacinth 'Delft Blue" quite by accident (what was left over) in a couple of urns. They bloomed at the same time.

Trying to figure bulb bloom time and coordinating them is pretty challenging.

We should, perhaps, start making records and making it a "sticky" at the top of the bulb page.

I've noticed some plants definitely grow by soil temperature while others grow by day length, regardless of whether it's a cold or warm spring.

So though Z will always follow X and Y, do they grow by soil temperature or day length. My guess is by day length.

bb,

Thanks so much for making that list of blooms! My Van Engelen catalog arrived today and I'm going to sit down and make a timeline and map for my new bulb garden!

If anyone else has more data to add, please do and then we can compile them into a sticky note, as birder suggests.

Pirl, I'm thinking the bulbs grow mostly by day length, but I did notice this year that my 'February Gold' and other early narcissi that usually appear around Valentine's Day were quite late because of the icy cold winter, I suppose. And then my latest narcissi ('cheerfulness', I think) were still blooming at the end of May which is late around here for daffs.

My purple 'giant allium' has been blooming the past ten days with the Young Lycidas (dark pink) rose and lady's mantle and it's been a joy. My Allium Schubertii in bloom now is attractive planted in the blue thyme bed too..

Wish all my combinations would work out as well!

Many thanks to everyone for sharing your comments about bulb cycles. t.

It was odd to have daffodils here in bloom for Mother's Day. We had heat that followed it and they were gone quickly but it was an exceptionally long bloom time for all of them. They went from April 1st to May 12th.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.