Critters Big and Small Volume #3

Sandusky, OH

If you would like to visit the previous thread here is the link... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1057051/

Jumping Spider

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

He was on the hood of the truck, catching some sun.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
PERTH, Australia

Oh Burd, I just love jumping spiders.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

which are the real eyes?? neat little thing

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

They are cute. Ours have either green or blue eyes.

Well, sit down a spell and I'll tell ya about the time I....

Thumbnail by billyporter
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Bunch o' Bison

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
PERTH, Australia

Your backyard is looking good Mrs Ed. You're finding the Bison helpful in keeping the grass down?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Margaret, I'm sure Mrs Ed is getting, a good dose of fresh manure for her garden. :) Can just see her garden flourishing.

Great herd pic Marna.

Burd, that jumping spider is competing with the Tarantula, with all that fur. Wonderful shot!
Thanks for starting the new thread.

Nice little insect on that beautiful lily bloom, billy.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This one is with the wings open. I did find the name for it, but it`s on my other PC, and can`t remember it at the moment. If someone knows it, before I retrieve it, from my computer, do put a name of it for others, who might want to know.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 1:05 AM

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sandusky, OH

Quote from Mrs_Ed :
Bunch o' Bison

You got a herd of Tatanka's?...lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice bison Mrs. Ed. Are they yours?

Thanks Burd, gorgeous butterfly!!

Another small :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice butterfly burn, I don't know what it is, but I can dig out my book.

Hardy har har Margaret! Boy poop patrol on those things would be quite the task and much worse that for two dogs.
Those bison are at Fermilab in Batavia, IL.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice fat toad billy. He looks quite comfortable in your hand there.

The butterfly i in the post above is a Milberts tortoise shell.
I've been trying to take a picture of a small one, that keeps flying around the birch tree, I will get it one of these days.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Edinburg, TX

Butterfly looks like a Milbert's Tortoiseshell - gorgeous!!!

Drats...we don't get that one this far south!

~ Cat

Sandusky, OH

Quote from evie_beevie :
which are the real eyes?? neat little thing

I think all of the eye's are functional but maybe in different capacity's...if you get to close they jump on the lens (funny, yet mildly horrifying). :|

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Mrs Ed, no wonder they look so healthy!

Burn, I had to turn him and rub his belly before he would sit still long enough for a picture. He was a nice one! Is that a skeeter? ROTFL over the spider in the lens.

Dobson Fly

Thumbnail by billyporter
Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Have you hugged your lady bug today? Miss 'Bug' here is enjoying a piece of banana. I have found that LB's also love raisins, dates, prunes and were positivly enchanted with smoked sausage. I have been entertained all winter with these little garden friends. Foutunately I am not overrun with them like many people that I have talked to. Only have 2 or 3 at most around at a time.

They hang out most on the windowsill above the kitchen sink. They become very active in the evening as I wash the dinner dishes. I think they are trained now to come out for a drink. I put a drop of water on the sill and they will change direction and come right to it. Sometimes one will spend an entire day on whatever food I have put there for them. Sometimes he/she will chase off any other LB that comes near. Other times they will share.

Yesterday morning on the sill there was a male and female gettin' it on. I put that little hussie outside. There is only so much this bug lover will put up with!

This message was edited Apr 10, 2010 1:01 PM

Thumbnail by Gazania_in_pa
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That's a very interesting observation, with the ladybug, Gazania. I'm sure a lot of people would love to attract a lot of them to their garden, including me.

LOL, billy porter,.I'm sure he enjoyed his belly rub. That humongous "Skeeter", found it's way in my PC room, I kept him in there, because I'm hoping, he's gonna prey on those buggers of aphids, that's been invading my plants.:) Love seeing your bugs.

Thanks Cat, I was surprise to see one so early in the season, but after I read up on them, they are the first butterfly to show up in spring, in this neck of the woods.

I enjoy these little Song Sparrows, they are as curious as the Chickadee , when I go on my deck .

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sandusky, OH

Nice shots of your critters all!!

Some critters Ive ran across lately.

Not sure on this mouse or vole?

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

This Eastern Box Turtle was slowly making his way down the path at the Marsh.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Curious Chipmonk

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Painted Turlte's and Blanding's Turtle's- (below)

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Blanding's Turtle's

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

ummm a small stack of Blanding's? lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Dragonfly's

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice action shots on the mating. I like seeing the turtles, I don't see some very often.

The groundhog from last year, They are out now, I've seen them along the roadside.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I sure got behind! Great photos!! I love the turtle stack! We've had the sliders sitting on the logs. I love to see them!

How about a hawk?

Thumbnail by billyporter
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Burd, I love your photo's. Last spring I saved a painted that was crossing a country road, I thought it was the nicest looking turt I'd ever seen
Christine

Sandusky, OH

Quote from jasminesmom :
Burd, I love your photo's. Last spring I saved a painted that was crossing a country road, I thought it was the nicest looking turt I'd ever seen
Christine

I have saved a few myself...Id rather not see them on the road but they must get to their destination...its when you can't stop to save them is the tough part, but enough make it.

Another Eastern Garter Snake

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

You have some really nice shots Burd. I love those turtles and snake. Wish I had some Garter snake in my yard, to take care of the moles population. Found a dead mole in my ponds a few days ago.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Neat shots!! Somehow this I lost this thread off my watched list!

This is the second time now that I have seen this raccoon over in the neighbors yard in recent weeks.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I hoping for some little ones to show up this year. Last we didn't get any. :(

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Cute Nanny, hope you get to see some babies. They are so sweet. I don't know if I'll see any this year. Haven't seen the raccoons yet this Spring.
Probably a good thing for now, cause my fishes are in the pond, with not much protection right now. Waiting for the water lilies to leaf out.

Found this Mourning Cloak in my yard a few days ago.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Oh wow that is nice!! I usually see a Mourning Cloak or two but none this year.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Nanny and Burn!
Some more Critter's from Sheldon's...Blandings Turtle

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

lil closer shot...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Frog...think its a Bull Frog...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

last...a painted turtle

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Pretty frog! I have heard some treef rogs here...I would love to get a photo of some. But I only ever see them at night out on the road which is so gross! May have to try at night.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Great turtle and frog pic Burd. We freed one of the frog I had overwintered today. Poor thing had escaped from the fish pool we had set up in the garage, and we couldn't find it. DH found it under our large garbage can, in the corner of the garage. DH told me it screamed, when he tried to get it, to take it outside. This Fall, I'll make sure it can get out of the pond before the ground freeze, so it can hibernate properly. This is one of them from last year.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.