Live in PA is it too early to plant mg seeds now on fence?

Harleysville, PA

I have a 6 foot privacy fence with lattace at the top. Would it be too early to plant MG seeds now?

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Jess!

Do you know what species of MG seeds you have? If they are I. purpureas, you could probably plant them now if it is past your last frost. If they are I. nils, it is best to wait until your temps warm up to high 60's or higher. They like the warm temps and are very sluggish when the climate is colder. Good luck!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am in PA also. My Star of Yelta I.Purpurea haven't sprouted yet. They reseed every year for me. I don't think that they take off until it gets a bit warmer, so I would wait a bit. I always nick and soak my seeds before planting. A friend who loves morning glories germinates hers on a damp paper towel before planting.

I still have lots of star of yelta seeds if anyone wants any for trade or sase or whatever.

In Delaware, in Wilmington, I wait until Mother's Day to plant out. With Ipomoea purpurea strains that are not feathered like Gypsy Bride, you will have plenty of growing season to enjoy the flowers. I would wait until early June to plant Ipomoea nil. That species requires warm soil and air temperatures for them to thrive.

Joseph

Harleysville, PA

Well its Heavenly Blue and Moon Flower Vines.

Heavenly Blue is a tricolor and should be fine to sow after your last frost and the same for Moonflower seeds. If it's still too cold, they will sprout when the temps are right for them. Moonflowers seeds often do not survive exposed to freezing temps. I think tricolor seeds are a little tougher. Volunteers often show up from that one. :-)

Are you going to grow them together? Heavenly Blue for day blooms and Moonflower for evening blooms. Sounds like a nice combo! :-) :-)

Harleysville, PA

Yes I want to plant them together. I also have some purple ones I might throw in not sure yet. I think there is a purple moonflower too?

Homewood, IL

Hi all,
I, also, plant Morning Glories and Moonflowers together! I start my seeds in the house and after the last (or what should be) frost I transplant them outside in my backyard. They are soooo beautiful. I live in zone 5 (Chicago, IL area). In my case Homewood, IL. Mixing the colors is always fun because you never really know what is going to bloom next!! I just wish that they were perennials. Good Luck....

Thumbnail by JokeLady

I noticed some Star of Yelta popping up in the garden today, much earlier than last year. I didn't plant them, they are reseeding from last year. It turned colder today, 42'F at the moment, I'll see if they make it. No problem if they don't, I saved tons before I took the vines down. (I figure each seed harvested is one less rogue morning glory. I want them on the trellis against the wall, not in the middle of my rose garden.)

Star of Yelta was one of the very first MGs I ever grew. Nice vine and cute dark purple blooms, but it did produce a lot more volunteers than I wanted the second year. Luckily, they are easy to pull up. Yours should look great against a trellised wall. You definitely don't want them taking over your rose garden! Yikes!

I have a new daylily garden this year and had MGs growing in it last year. I have pulled up at least 2 dozen volunteers. And those were I. nil vines which surprised me! I didn't think I would get I. nil volunteers because we had such cold weather here over the winter, but they did show up. Though not in unmanageable numbers that I. purpureas produce - thank goodness!

If you do grow your wall trellis full of MGs, I hope you will take some photos and post here. I'd love to see how it looks! :-)

They were the first thing I planted when I moved here. The bf got some seed packs and trellis as a surprise and started digging up the garden to cheer me up. These are planted against the wall under a drip line. It would be a difficult place to get most things to grow. Any perennial vine would be frozen by water runoff from the roof and freeze/thaw cycles. They look fabulous on white trellis against the beige wall. Everyone comments on them. I have shared many stray plants with friends and neighbors. I am glad that they come back every year. It is a bit of a pain to pull out volunteers, but no big deal. It would be as much of a pain to start seeds every year.

The next year, knowing morning glories were annuals, I got some light blue seeds and planted them. They never came up, but yelta came back from dropped seeds. My grandmother grew the blue ones, saving and starting seeds each year.

This year, I have gotten a selection of new morning glories from trades. I am starting them in pots, for now. I plan to try to keep some going inside as a "living curtain" if possible. I will add some seedlings with the yelta to hopefully get a variety of blooms. I'll see if I like the Japanese varieties, I. nil, which are supposed to make less seeds.

Here is one pic, the only one of morning glories on the current camera card. I have to get my pictures names and organized so that they will be easier to share! I think I have some old ones in my journal.

Thumbnail by GardenQuilts

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.