New Clematis in the Spring

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

At this forum in October of last year I sought advice on my first planting of clematis. The comments I received helped me narrow my list, and the availability of plants at the end of the season narrowed it even more. My plants were in their prepared spots by the end of November. And then we had the harshest winter in twenty years in Tennessee. The extended low temperatures did damage to other plants in my garden. So I was concerned about the new clematis, whose roots were just beginning to spread. Now it is April and spring is here. I have been out to survey my young shrubs, and the news is good, very good.

One of my choices was Fujimusume. You can see it in the photo. Last year’s foliage, as it arrived in shipment, is visible to the right. The new, green growth is firm and healthy. I have hopes for this young plant.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

The picture is here.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very Nice and congrats..Cold weather doesn't hurt clems..as a matter of fact...I just had one of the coldest winters here in Texas and I think my clematis are performing better than ever..look forward to seeing all your newbies perform this year and share pics!!...Jeanne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good job, Cibarius. We'll look forward to photos of your blossoms.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Nice to hear from you. I'm glad that both of you are still with the forum. Here is another picture of my winter survivors. This is Rouge Cardinal, the whole plant. It looked the worst during the depth of winter. But it has grown out very quickly this spring. It appears to have some vigor.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

And here is a closer view of one of the tendrils. Red is my favorite blossom color, and it is a color that is unobtainable locally. So I am anticipating the display this year, even if it is modest. That is why I rushed the planting last autumn.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I just ordered Rebecca and am waiting for it to arrive. I am excited about that one. The pics look like a very true red.

Last year I purchased Daniel Deronda (deep purple) and it was beautiful for a first year. I am looking forward to it this year, it has grown over a foot in a week!

What a huge change in height of the clematises during the last week! It's hard to believe it.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

fun-
I have followed advice from this forum and have just recently ordered Voluceau from Donahue. It was sold out last fall. Where are you getting the Rebecca from?

Here is a picture of John Huxtable as it has come up this spring.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its always good to see the shoots. My clems emerged finally.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You will love Clematis "Voluceau"..& "JH"
Donahue's has "Rebecca"...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Closer up of "Voluceau"..she is full of buds right now and can't wait for her to explode in full flush of colour

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "John Huxtable"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

SimplyClems is sending my Rebecca the end of this week. Looking forward to it!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hope mine are comming. Cant wait.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks for the pictures. I was hoping that Volceau would be more red and less purple. Regardless of its shade, it will be a stunning contrast to all the other clematis I see growing in lawns here abouts, which are blue.

Last year at this time I planted a locally available clematis. There was no name tag on it. So I have no idea what it is. It has blossomed now, and I have attached a photo. How do we go about identifying it?

Thumbnail by Cibarius

The clematis experts will arrive in time and help you with an ID for it.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm certainly not an expert, but it sort of reminds me of Ken Donson.

http://www.silverstarvinery.com/vines.asp?letter=K
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=469

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

You shouldn't have to worry about your clems making it through the winter. I live up in the freezing north and mine come through just fine after months of -20 degree temps! I am fortunate to live 45 minutes from Donahues...if you are ever in central/southern Minnesota, make time to go. Not only do they have amazing clematis, but their entire greenhouse and garden center is a sight to behold. (I came home with 10 new clems after my trip up there on Friday!! But shhhh don't tell my husband...)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How do you hide clems?

Albert Lea, MN(Zone 4b)

Once I get them in the ground he'll never know if I bought them or was just out moving stuff around again. ;)

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I just discovered the backside of my clematis is not like the front! I took a quick evening flash picture to show it. There is a light, almost white, stripe down the center of each petal, but only on the reverse. This may have a bearing on the identification. Please let me know.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
McMinnville, TN

I have the same color clematis that you have posted pictures of and each year they grow more and produce more big, beautiful purple blooms. They were planted in the fall of 1997 and have never failed to bloom and its amazing how many people don't know what kind of vine it is when they see it each year.
This is my 1st time to post anything on Dave's Garden and I am so thankful that Cibarius helped me get there as a gift.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Hi Boopsie-! Good to hear from you. It is possible that both you and I got our clematis plants from the same retailer since we are near each other, and they could be identical. This year I have been watching the varities that are for sale on the sidewalk, and I have been surprised at the different colors and types that are available. Most come from growers in Florida. And I have learned one other thing about clematis: they are not of constant color. Far from it. They start out one shade and soon turn another. My first wave of blooming is over and many seed heads were formed down low on the bush. I removed all these trying to encourage growth up the trellis. It is a healthy and vigirous vine. I'm pleased with it.

Welcome to DG, Boopsie!

The world of clematis is so varied with so many choices that once you've been to Brushwood, Bluestone and Donahue's your head will be spinning.

Here's Nelly Moser. She can usually be found for a very reasonable price and does well here in half sun.

Thumbnail by pirl
McMinnville, TN

Thanks for the welcome to Dave's Garden Cibarius and Pirl! We bought our clematis bulbs at Lowe's in McMinnville after they 1st opened there. I have discovered clematis are easy to care for or should I say I am a lazy plant lover; I just planted the bulbs and left them at that!
I also have clematis terniflora, the lady that dug me up a cluster several years ago called it wild clematis and said the fancy name was Jasmine and the smell when it is in bloom is breath-taking and it sure can spread each year.
I'm still selling seeds on ebay-that's how I met Cibarius-I have already sold out of several kinds and also have made a few more new friends by selling seeds!

Oops, Boopsie - clematis are not bulbs. They are fleshy rooted perennials.

Do you sells annual and perennial seeds?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Some real bargains at Lowes.

McMinnville, TN

Your right Pirl, its been so long since we planted them and I remember now we planted tulips the same day which were bought at the same time at Lowe's. I sell perennial seeds on ebay and a few annual seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.