I am back!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Hi guys, been moving...again...but in between everything we visited a few spots. This is a Tiger, LOL, in the lion breeding program, about 3km from the house we bought.

Thumbnail by Little_things

Tigers had cubs. They are 11 weeks old and tooooo cute! They are removed and hand reared.

Playing with a tree....

This pic just shows size, the lady is their caretaker and only one to be allowed, no other adults. They are fed every 3 hours.

This tiger is 7 months with a lion of about the same age.

White Lion!

Another pic....they are really big when you get up close like this.

Females having a rest under a tree!

Crocodile having a sun-bath....

My wife says this looks familiar, so I guess it's me! a Meerkat! LOL

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Little_things :
Another pic....they are really big when you get up close like this.

And I don't think I'd trust that decrepit old fence, either!!

Sorry to say, I don't like their methods - raising the cubs to be partly imprinted on humans (makes them highly dangerous if ever released), and partly imprinted on cubs of other species (makes them useless for learning their own species' natural behaviour). Both problems which make them unsuited for endangered species restocking.

Resin

Hi Resin, Agreed 100%. ... but ... these will not be released. Not the purpose, more genetics & genetic diversity for other breeding programs I think.

Yeah the fence...let's just say that I felt a bit uneasy, but they looked well fed..!

PERTH, Australia

Good to see you back, just now, Little. Nice neighbours you have.

Hi Margaret,
Yeah, I missed checking out all the pics and stories the last few months. We have the addo-elephant park also about 70 km from us, and once settled, it will be regularly visited, so expect many elephants!

The area we are in is littered with parks and scenery, which is pretty exciting for us. We live right on the sea now, and see big pods of dolphins everyday. So there are lots of opportunities for pics.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Little_things, great pics! I love the big cats, they are so beautiful!!

Mcash, yeah, they are beautiful. Watching that little one taking a bath was special...the thing that caught my eyes however is how big their paws are. Even the little one.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

You keep posting and I sure will keep watching this thread;-)

Margaret

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

What amazing animals, very nice. Must be an awesome feeling, to see them up close like that. Iwill be watching this thread too. Beautiful shots.

Marlton, NJ

Gorgeous Cats!!! Glad your back Little!

Hi, thanks, Pele and Burn.
The main difference to the Northern Cape, is that in the Eastern Cape things are much closer, more people in sq km. Northern Cape is vast, dry. This means lots of protected areas and natural forests. The BIG FIVE and more is pretty close with dolphins and other in front. Pic is a view from the deck. Bottlenose Dolphins up 100 swim up and down the coast in "break" during the day.

We also have some nice sunsets.

Cocoa, FL(Zone 9a)

One question, why is there a tiger in the Lion breeding program???

Marlton, NJ

It looks like a beautiful area!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Wonderful to 'see' you back and see the neat pictures that you shared! It looks like you picked a great place to live with lots of interesting things to do.

Thanks Junebug. It is a difference to the central areas. Here I sit in my office and look at the waves crashing in about 150m from me. I do miss some aspects of the Freestate especially, the people for one and the environment. But we also live only once and the more one can see the better. We are very happy here.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Very nice thread, I enjoyed the pics. And like Resin said, that fence doesn't look like it would be much of a challenge to that big boy.

Hack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.