Please suggest a good fence for clematis

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

We need a new fence on the east side of our property--my garden border is on our side; the house next door has a driveway running the length of it on the other side. The idea of an attractive fence that would work for clematis as well as other vines makes me smile. Would some sort of lattice-patterned fencing work? Something sturdy, intended for fencing. What can clematis use? If you have a photo, I'd love to see it. (I don't want chain link--I'd prefer wood or something else, possibly vinyl.)
Many thanks for suggestions, Tamar

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There are many clematises on this picket fence and it has survived well for the past 18 years for us. Your choices are as endless as the varieties of clematis.

Montanas grow like teenage boys but they can cover the fence a bit too quickly. The choice is up to you.

Here is Pink Champagne at one end:

This message was edited Aug 16, 2010 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by pirl

Montana Grandiflora takes over the center.

Thumbnail by pirl

Liberation is at the opposite corner. The fence is only about 3.5' tall.

Thumbnail by pirl
Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you so much, Pirl. Those are lovely photos. Do the clematis clamber over the picket fence by themselves or do you tie them on or provide mesh or anything?

I did put up mesh originally - the kind used to keep birds out of berries but I think they'd have climbed anyhow. Now I'm trying to tame the montana into a more compact shape since it's too wild where it is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.