Oak Leaf "Little Honey"-Spring emergence

Rockford, IL

I planted a "Little Honey" from Wayside Gardens last fall. It didn't look good, but they assured me it was just dormant. Now it isn't showing any sign of life while my other hydrangeas are starting to bud and leaf. I'm in zone 5a/b but this year spring has been especially warm. Even the magnolias are blooming. Is it dead or do they show up late?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, I am not there to see what you see so I cannot answer your question either way. But some newly planted hydrangeas c-a-n be slow to leaf out. As a general rule, they can delay the leaf out until as late as the end of May (earlier in the South, though) so take no action until early June (make a note in a wall calendar to check on June 1st). Good luck!

Rockford, IL

Thanks. I am considering ordering a new one just in case. Not from Wayside however.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

My first try at Wayside was with a lilac bush. They kept telling me it was ok in full sun and I kept saying the leaves are scorching and that I live in Texas. I finally transplanted it but it died. I found better nurseries after that, though.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That wouldn't be difficult, Luis! :-)

Rockford, IL

I'm considering Heronswood. I got a Japanese woodland peony from them last year and it is doing very well.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I think the Oakleafs and Paniculatas take a little more time here before you'll see any signs of life. My mopheads are budding out with the warm weather and rain we've had too. I always leave them alone until the end of April or so, when the weather really warms to see what buds have survived after the flip flopping of the weather stops - then I'll cut any dead stuff back. I'm sure your Little Honey will be fine. She's a beauty...keep us posted of your progress and post a picture when she blooms!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I have two small ones and they are coming back, but not as fast as my "standard" mopheads at all. Just look for those little buds . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.