I'm going to try strawbale gardening!

Omro, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello from chilly Wisconsin (zone 4)! I've never tried strawbaling, but I'm going to give it a shot this year - it sounds wonderful!

I've spent the better part of a couple of days reading past posts - and have a whole bunch more to read! So much terrific information! Love the pictures, too.

I have most of my gardening area already prepared in a kind of "Ruth Stout/Lasagna" type of set up, but there's room left for a small "strawbale annex", too. I've already got 4 or 5 bales of marsh hay and plan to get another 9 or 10.

I'm so impressed with all of you in the strawbale group. Such a helpful, friendly and knowledgeable bunch!

Can't wait to get my bales started cooking - but I guess I still have a while to wait here in zone 4!

Just wanted to stop in and say "Hi"! (now I'd better get back to reading more posts - love it!)

Tobydog

Wake Forest, NC

Tobydog: Welcome to the Straw Bale Express!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kent

Omro, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Kent! Sure is an express -- really active group with lots of enthusiasm. I like that!

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Everyone!

I am going to try this too!!! I am so excited to give it a try here in MO!!! I went back to the start and I get confused along the way with what does or doesn't work. I have noticed that some put soil on top. Are we supposed too? Questions, questions questions....I need a tried and true 101 lesson, along with 102, 103 LOL!!!

Here is the kicker: We just moved back from the south. We live in a small town and ALL of the neighbors are wondering what in the heck are we doin' with 6 straw bales in our back yard. Hubby says we are going to plant a garden in them. Neighbor says "must be a southern thing" Hubby says "Yep" (Thanks, Kent) Now all eyes are on us. I am depending on my DG family to keep me from looking like a fool (grin)

Please help us out my brothers and sisters. By the time I am done reading all of the posts it will be fall :)

Oh, yeah. We are planting cucumbers, tomatoes (thanks Jnette!), peppers and zucchini in them this year.

Thanks so much!

Connie

Omro, WI(Zone 4b)

Good luck, Connie! Won't those neighbors be surprised when they see the plants growing in those bales!

We're going to try tomatoes, peppers, squash, and melons (maybe some strawberries, too) in ours.

We're still collecting bales. When we're done getting them we'll be planting in strawbales and marsh hay bales. It'll be like an experiment to see which type does best in our garden! Can't wait to start - I love new gardening methods!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, get your bales decomposing ! And you can put soil on if you think you need it. I guess it depends on what you are going to plant. Seeds need soil if you are going to put just seeds. I might use soil if my tomatoes aren't deep enough in the bales. I think Jan in Oregon uses soil on the bales for her strawberries. Things like that.

It never hurts to add the soil if you think they need it. Just remember that straw has no nutrients so you are going to have to fertilize. A lot more than you normally would in soil.

Omro, WI(Zone 4b)

Jnette - About fertilizing -- I was thinking I'd use something like Miracle Grow - but I was wondering, if you use a Miracle Grow type do you use it every time you water?

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Now that's a darn good question, tobydog! We just got back from our friendly "Wally World" and we bought a soaker hose and some Miracle Grow for tomatoes 18-18-21. Not much in a small rural area and we couldn't find 10-10-10 anything except prices LOL! We are growing the seeds right now so all that goes into these bales will be plants. Back to the question of soil and fertilizer. I am hoping these bales will break down pretty quick as we have been watering them everyday and have had them now for about 3 weeks. I wouldn't mind sticking a watermelon in a bale if it would grow, tobydog :)

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No, not every time you water I don't think. I guess all areas, weather conditions, the type of straw you get, etc. are different. I guess your plants are going to tell you more than I can. It is hard to tell someone else how much to water. I used to use a 20-20-20 water soluable. I think now that MG has an all purpose but it seems to me that I thought when I saw the N:PK that it was pretty high in nitrogen.

Maybe you should look in the computer at say Gardens Alive has a tomato fertilizer and see what their NPK is. It should say I would think. But I don't think you want a high nitrogen.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

We cross posted up there Connie. I was looking for a 10-10-10 in a slow release fertilizer for something the other day and really had to look thru their stuff at Wally's but did find it. In an 8 lb bag for $14 or $15.

One thing I didn't say and should have, is that if you use a slow release fertilizer it should not be the only fertilizer you use. They need more instant than that. In other words the tomatoes will not wait for the slow release. They need more than that.

That MG tomato fertilizer you got Connie looks a lot more balanced than their all purpose. Good. I would say to try once a week. You should be able to watch your plants and know if they need more or less.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

YAY!!!! I can mix up that fertilizer and hand water it once a week or so. I am sooo very excited :)

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I forgot to say I did not get that slow release 10-10-10 for my strawbales. I got it for strawberries. Which I am not putting in my strawbales. Probably will regret it because slugs won't go up the straw. LOL Jan does and loves it.

Now Connie, that all is just my opinion. Maybe Kent, who uses nothing but MG will tell you something else and he has very good success with his produce so listen to him. Also, askhim about a foliar spray. Maybe with the MG.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I think Kent needs to take a small break from chasing bad guys and girls, get a cup of coffee and chat with us a little :)

Great info, Jnette! Keep it comin' because it is sure helping me and I know it is also helping the other new ones wanting to try another successful method of gardening!!! THANKS

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, well in a couple of years when he retires he will be able to do that and then wonder how he ever found time to work.

Wake Forest, NC

Connie: a break is definitely in order!!! I have 4 days coming and they look to be gorgeous.

Got my final tomato plants today, cukes, squash, and zucchini. So, I'm just waiting to watch the temps for a few more days b4 I transplant.

I'm a little early yet, so no big hurry. The plants will be fine in their flats and 4 inch pots.

Jeanette: counting down the days!! LOL

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Kent did you ever find that hot pepper you wanted? Think I saw some of those seeds somewhere in the last couple of days when looking for something else, but you don't do seeds.

Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette, I found a couple of sources, but may or may not purchase a few. I've been so busy with other things, I kinda let it slide. The jury is still out.....Kent

Speaking of seeds, I plan to do seeds next year!!! Got the fever, especially when it comes to the heirloom tomatoes.

KR

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, wondered how long it would take.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Quote from KentNC :
Jeanette, I found a couple of sources, but may or may not purchase a few. I've been so busy with other things, I kinda let it slide. The jury is still out.....Kent

Speaking of seeds, I plan to do seeds next year!!! Got the fever, especially when it comes to the heirloom tomatoes.

KR

Kent, your fever is noted...

Here is my list of 'maters.
Arkansas Traveler
Cherokee Purple
Yellow Pear
Boxcar Willie
Roma
Early girl
Sweet 100's and
Black Cherry ( I think)

Mike

Wake Forest, NC

Mike: glad you posted. I forgot my Roma's!!! Got to get a couple more now!! LOL

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What are you using the Romas for? I used to plant them until I found San Marzanoes. Now I grow them instead and use them for salsas and sauces etc.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Quote from Jnette :
What are you using the Romas for? I used to plant them until I found San Marzanoes. Now I grow them instead and use them for salsas and sauces etc.

Dunno... LOL. I just thought I'd like Romas. I've never heard of the San Marzanoes. How are they?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I like them better than the Romas. I don't have room to grow both. So, I use the Marzanoes for the firmer meatier tomato. Sauces, salsas, etc. cooking.

Omro, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, Connie - I have some watermelon seed that I think I'm going to start early (in a few weeks). Also, some cantaloupe and winter squash. Hmmmm.............problem is -- I don't know if I have enough room for all of them! But, I'm willing to give at least some of them a try.

Still have two more bales to pick up - and then I'm all ready to go.....I think....!!

Decided to put a few strawberries in the bales too. See how they do. Jnette makes a good point --- slugs can't climb straw!! Man! I have got straw all over the yard! Makes the neighbors wonder if I'm planning on housing cows here or something!

I only have a few tomatoes this year - all are going into bales:

Heidi
Black Cherry
Danko
KBX
Ethel Watkins Best
Opalka - good sauce type

All are new varieties to me. Hope they do okay! I'll be using potting soil as "chinking" for any plants I put into the bales, too. Call me a scaredy cat, but I just don't feel comfortable just plopping them into the bales without some soil. (Maybe I'll be braver next year after a year of strawbaling under my belt.

We've had a VERY warm spring this year! Unusually warm in fact (and very dry), so my gardening urge is awfully strong -- but I'll wait -- I know how fickle Mother Nature can be.

So, Kent - how often do you water the bales with Miracle Grow?

Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette: I'll have to try the San Marzanoes next year.

tobydog: I seem to modify a little each year with the MG watering.

This year I'll be using some low grade commercial manure along with some slo-release pellets like Osmocote.

So, I'll probably only use the MG every couple of weeks or based on how the plants are looking.

KR

Gloucester County, VA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone ever grown Aunt Ruby's Germain Green tomato? Am growing them for the first time this year. Set the plants out about 2 weeks ago (pushing the season a bit) and they are already blooming. The catalog said they were an early producer, but this seems really early... anyone else have experience with this variety?

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 10:28 PM

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Great Tobydog! Anxious to hear how they do for you. I think we have too many plants too LOL!!! We are putting the extras in the garden this year and will probably buy more bales next year...which brings me to that burning question and plea of HELP!!!!! Why can't I get these bales cooking? I just felt down in the bales and they are wet-that's it. Lord, it sounds like if we use blood meal we will have every dog in the county in our back yard. Can I use some Miracle Grow for tomatoes to help break these bales down? 20-20-20 Neighbors are watching and laughing as their gardens are going in and I have empty bales. Can't you just picture them holding those rating cards ready for display from 1 to 10. Can't hold any up due to a rating of ZERO right now LOL!!! Natives are restless and I don't want to be the one to make this method look bad.

Thanks,

Connie

Wake Forest, NC

Connie, how long have you had the bales out?

What type?

Are your bales sprouting?

How often did you water them?

What's the temp been like?

When's the last frost avg date for your area?

Forget the Miracle Gro in trying to heat the bales up. Waste of money. You don't need it. Nor the Blood Meal.

Lots of questions and I pretty much know the answer, but wanted to confirm.

Kent

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Ohhh Kent,

Whoo hoo...thanks for answering!!!!

Bales have been out for 1 - 1 1/2 months
Straw bales
Yes they have sprouted
Watering everyday...except for 3...was away
Temps in upper 60's lower 70's
Average last frost date 4-17

Thanks Kent!

Connie

Wake Forest, NC

Connie, you're gonna be fine, IMHO.

If they've already sprouted, everything's primed and ready.

Good rule of thumb is wait until about 2 weeks after last frost date any way to transplant, so you're not behind regardless of what the neighbors are doing.

Don't remember if you checked your bales for temp spike or not, but I had some that hit 125 and some that never hit 90.

So, just concentrate on transplanting or seeding, and your regular fertilizing program

Kent

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

YES!!!!! We will hold out until the first week in May to transplant and keep watering them until then. I have never checked the temp., I would just stick my hand down in the bales to check and see if they were heating up or breaking down and neither has happened. Oh, Kent...who's going to get the last laugh? Hopefully we will LOL!! Let them rate me in July (grin). From what I have read, it would be good to fertilize about once a week by hand watering with 20-20-20.?. I am so excited and can't wait :)

Thanks again,

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Connie, I am zone 5 also and I don't plan on planting for another couple of weeks. I am using last years bales but have to add planting mix to beef them up since they have decomposed quite a bit. The ground is warming up some because FINALLY the weather has started to get into the 60s and near 70s. But tomatoes like their feet to be warm and won't do anything if they are cold.

Don't worry, just be sure once you plant to continue to fertilize. The straw has no nutrients.

Be sure when you plant them to also use Epsom Salts. There was another something that we told nini to use. Did you see the post? I can't remember. So many things are just automatic when we, who have been doing this for so long, do Will think of it before you plant and will let you know.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I will be watching for it, Jnette. Didn't see that post to nini but I am writing it down now. I am assuming on the E salt maybe 1 tbsp to a gal and water as they are being planted. Of course, you know what they say about "assume" so correct me if I need to do it a different way.

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Connie, depending on the size of your plants, sprinkle 1/4 cup of ES around and in the hole of each plant as you plant them. If you forget, just sprinkle around the plant and water it in after you are done, or soon thereafter.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Gotcha :)

Connie

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

hi tobydog60! I'm a former 'family member', back after a year's absence- I read some of your questions and, since I prefer to garden organically, I use fish emulsion (stinky, but wonderful fertilizer) and/or manure tea. This is so easy to make, especially if you have a horse farm nearby. They always have plenty of aged manure that they're happy to share, and nothing's better for your garden! (Plus it's not offensive smelling)
Get yourself a bag of aged manure and poke holes in it (or use a mesh-type bag)
and suspend it in a garbage can full of water and just leave it for a few days. Then take your big old horse manure 'tea bag' out (put it in your compost pile) and water with t he resulting 'tea'! Full of wonderful nutrients for your plants.

I'm the odd-ball 'black sheep' of this family- I prefer hay bales to straw. I did a test garden 2 years ago, 20 bales of hay and 20 of straw, and treated and planted them identically- the difference was staggering! The hay bales produced such huge and robust plants, and they held the moisture much better than straw. Also, the nutrients in the hay made a HUGE difference in the plants, which actually end up consuming the bales, so there is nothing left at the end of the season! So cool!

Good luck to you!

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

hey tobydog- just read back a little farther and noticed that you're thinking about putting strawberries in your bales. I'd be interested in seeing how Kent replies to this- I personally would advise against it, since strawberries are a perennial. good to create a terraced hilly area in a sunny spot where they can stay and mutiply (as they will!). Mulching with straw wouldn't hurt, though!

Namaste- Suz

Omro, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Suz - thanks for your advice regarding organics and strawberries in bales. I don't have access to horse manure - but, believe it or not - I DO have access to alpaca manure!! Yes, my daughter's coworker raises alpacas. I think I'll brew up some alpaca manure tea! Probably will be similar to cow manure tea, don't you think? Those alpacas are so cute! Furry, soft little devils and so curious about everything and everyone! I fell in love at first site! The owner keeps trying to sell me a couple of them -- wish I could, but I don't think they'd be happy in town.

About the strawberries - I over-ordered so I've got lots of plants coming. I do have a traditional bed for most of them, but thought I'd throw a few in bales (probably some everbearers) and see what happens.

I'm really anxious to see how the marsh hay bales perform v.s. the straw ones. I've noticed already that the hay bales seem to be "hotter" than the straw bales after a few days of watering.

Cathie - aka Tobydog

Wake Forest, NC

Suz: no experience with strawberries, but others report excellent results.

Cathie: hay/grass bales have their own supply of nitrogen which helps fuel the decomposition process, vs straw which is mostly carbon.

But my bales heated up pretty good with just water.

Kent

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Kent,

Jnette mentioned something in a post above about foliar spray/feeding. Can you give a quick summary on that including how often you do it? Also, do you fertilize and foliar feed or do one or the other?

Thanks,
Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.