Canna seeds

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Tomorrow I will be starting around 40 canna seeds.. I might be jumping the gun, since planting season is not till the end of may.. However we have been having very nice weather these past few weeks 50-70 almost every day.. Yes at night it still gets cold, even freezes.. I'm planting them in pots so I can move them indoors when needed.. I'm going to use the tubaware someone mentioned on one of these threads.. (sorry i cant remember who or where i read it) I'm only planting half of each the seeds I have, so just incase I can try again...

How is everyone else doing with there canna seeds this year??
jen

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey Jen,

Do you know when it is safe to plant cannas out of doors in our cold snowy areas? A month after average last frost?

Anyone else?

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Here (zone 6b) I plant them outside the middle of may to the end of may in the ground.. once all signs of frost is gone.. So i would say when you plant your seeds you'd be safe to plant cannas also (seeds or roots).. I started my seeds today, since were having really warm weather for the season there outside.. However there in tubaware (could use a pot too) so i can bring them in with any sign of frost.. This way I still take advantage of the nice weather and the sun.. I dont have a light to use so I would of had to wait a month at least.. You could even do them outdoors with a green house or even a winter sow jug type top to keep the inside warm, I haven't done this yet though.. Hubby told me to just risk it and plant them in the ground but I worry, its only april we could still have snow... I planted a total of 47 seeds from 10 different names, I took half of ever type I had and started them, just incase something happens I have the other half as a back up.. Tonight were going to have a storm so I'll put them in the shed just to be safe, but its not going below freezing, so they should be ok out there...
jen

Hmmmm...

Well here in Colorado we are always optimistic. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes! LOL We had a good amount of snow two days ago, but it melted by the end of the day. I also sent an e-mail to Horn Canna Farm to see what they think. On average, the last day of 32F, (0C) won't be until April 19. :(

I am going out to buy a couple of whisky barrels at the market, ($24.95 each) that I can plant some cannas in and place them at the front of the entrance walk.

Sonny

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

I usually plant mine right in dirt in containers but this year I thought I'd try the water method since alot of people seem to use that. I transfered them into dirt 2 weeks ago and I'm not seeing any green yet. I hope I didn't kill them. Just in case I did I kept a list of my sources so I can re-order.
Roxanne

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

nothing up on mine yet, but its only been 4 days.. I had to put them in containers, theres still a chance it will freeze here. Last year i just put them right in the garden, but some never made it to flower, so I thought i would give them a head start..
I hope you have that some grow.. the water method?? Is that the kick and soak the seeds or something else??
jen

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Seedlings need heat, light, and decent humidity to come up.
If you can provide that, they will be up a lot sooner.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Yep mine are outside in full sun where its 65-77 all this week. I water them every morning, because the containers are small and i want them to stay moist.. At night as longs it isn't down in the 40's i cover them with the clear blue lid and it stays warm and humid in there, its all foggy.. Come the next morning I talk off the lid and it starts all over... However i left the lids on today cause its 66 and i dont want to miss the few sun breaks from clouds, but its raining off and on all day and i'm not trying to make soup..

If this doesn't work I have all the same seeds saved, so those will be plopped in the ground in may
jen

Horn Canna Farm says you can plant cannas at the same time Irish potatoes are planted.

I was clueless! What are Irish potatoes? When are they planted? So I called up a good friend Leo Jammaron! He has been ranching in the valley for close to seventy years and he told me he plants his potatoes the first week in May (Zone-5A). Since I am a zone-5B/6 I figured the second week in May or about a month after the last 32F/0C overnight lows would be good.

Since I am planting in whisky barrels I can always wrap them in insulation if need be. Custom mix on the soil with lots of peat, cottonseed meal & Dr. Earth. Maybe I will do that this weekend so I can kick start the soil biology.

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Well i checked them today, not seedlings yet, but i can see roots forming on one.. I'm so excited, should get below freezing all week so they will be in the sun...
jen

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Jen!

Happy Birthday Jen & thanks for the help with cannas!

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

thanks, and what ever info i have i try to share

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.