Clematis in Containers

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Anyone have any examples or photos of growing clematis in patio containers? Any suggestions for mixed containers? I recently bought a really nice obelisk trellis and am looking for a creative way to show it off. I don't have room for the trellis in my small yard so I plan to use it in a container.

Also, I am in zone 5, central Ohio. Any suggestions for over wintering a clematic in a container?

Thanks

Appleton, WI

If I remember correctly, Linda Beutler's book Gardening with Clematis: Design and Cultivation has some examples of plants in containers. You might want to check your local library.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Evison also has a book on Clematis for small spaces.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Since Clematis has strong deep root system. I'd use a deep container, if there is no room for larger containers. This one is in a 2 feet deep 10" ceramic container that's weather resistance. I have had this grown in here with a rose bush the last five years.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This container is bigger I've two clematis, a Niobe and a double/triple white clem. I interplant other 'fillers' in the container to shade the roots since the container sits in a sunny location.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I just planted a C. 'Cherokee' today into a large, deep, heavy plastic pot; the pot came with a plug in the drainage hole, which I've left in place for now. I filled the bottom of the pot with rocks and broken terra cotta for weight and to aid drainage, and then put in potting soil, dug a deep hole in it (had to take some out of course, bad planning lol), sprinkled a little lime in the hole, filled it with water, plopped my plant in to the soup, then filled the pot up to 3" from the top with the rest of the potting soil. I then topped it off with cedar mulch, and added a 3 foot trellis. Sorry I don't have a picture right now; I'll try to post one tomorrow, it has two flowers open on it already and two more starting-its really pretty.

To over winter the pot, I'll dig a hole in the ground and let it experience a good old Canadian winter.

Once before I had land of my own, I tried to overwinter a clematis on my deck by surrounding it with styrofoam and burlap at the suggestion of a clematis expert. It was a tried and true method but my plant died. I think it was because it was planted in a terra cotta pot and it held the cold in too much. But I'll never realy know and I'll never try it again because I don't have to.

Hope some of this helps.

Christine

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Christine..be careful with that hole being plugged up hon..clematis roots can rot if they sit in water...Jeanne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm with Jeanne regarding the plugged up hole. One torrential storm and root rot can set in and destroy your clematis.

You might want to read Al's thread on "Container Soils: Water Movement and Retention II":
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/719569/

Oh gosh yes, I've already removed it this morning; I just wanted to make sure it got a good soaking. Turns out it was me that got the soaking, when I removed it ...lol

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Good girl!!..Sowwy about the soaking..LOL..what we go through to have such beauties in our gardens..Can't wait to see pics of yours..I grow a ton of Clematis in Containers...fortuately for me in my zone winters aren't so harsh and mine do great in my plastic pots..I have a drip system connected to my sprinkler system to my pots and they get watered every other day and really love it there....Jeanne

Here's a picture I took earlier this evening of C Cherokee all potted up.

Thumbnail by
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

How beautiful!!...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very nicely done!

Thanks; I think it was an easy clemmie to make prettier with those amazing flowers already open.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There are a few weeks before this planter with trellis really looks good.
I planted whiteBES seeds in the middle.I have recently found out I probably wont see them as they havnt germinated in 1 month.
Clematis Bijou is planted in there and I will train it up the trellis instead of cascading down the side.

Thumbnail by ge1836
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow. It's been a while since I have checked DG. Thanks for all the posts! I decided on Clematis Fraziska Maria as both the Khelm Song Sparrow and the Blue Stone Perennial nursery catelouges recommended it for containers. I mixed in other perennials to shade the roots and fill in around the base. I planted Coreopsis Jethro Tull, Penstemon Red Rocks and Sedum Angelina all of which are hardy in my zone 5 region and should hopefully survive the winter in my unheated garage. (I do not have room in my small city garden to sink such a large container for the winter). It seemed like a good idea at the time but now, a few weeks later, I realize I have planted too much in one containter. I know I will have to be careful that the perennials do not crowd out the clematis.

It's a dreary, rainy day in central Ohio so I won't bother taking a pic today. I'll post one a bit later when the clematis has time to grow and flower.

Wish me luck!

Clarksville, MD

Here is Little Duckling/Piilu's first bloom this year.
Piilu is suppose to grow about 6 ft. I have it interplanted with a small hydrangea.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Look at all those buds coming! Nice!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It will be just wonderful

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Piilu" looks very happy in your pot...Jeanne

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks to me like the hydranea is choking out the clematis.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Does anyone know if Clematis Corona will really grow in full shade (as the Plantfiles indicates)? My son wants a nice plant in a large container in his carport in a zone 5 location for his birthday. All of my clems are planted outside, so I'm curious about planting a clem in a covered (but fairly bright) location which gets no direct sun. Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks!
Louise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.