Bamboo question

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

A friend of mine is growing the clumping type of Bamboo.
During the storms here many got broken almost to the ground.
She wants to know if she should just tear them out altogether & just start
over or cut them back severely & hope they come back.

I've no experience at all with bamboo so couldn't help her. Hoping that
someone has the answer here.

Thanks,
Cris

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't see any reason why she shouldn't wait and give them a chance--as long as the roots are OK I suspect they'd come back. Although if you have frequent storms of that magnitude it may be a better long-term solution to look for something that stands up to wind a little better. If there are culms that have been bent/broken then I'd cut those off, but if there are some parts that weren't damaged I'd leave those alone.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Sometimes the bamboo will produce small branches and leaves at a node so if she cuts the stems above a node, they may come back ok. Having the tops broken will probably promote much stronger growth for this year.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

A house in the neighborhood has a bamboo patch they use as a privacy screen.

On a regular basis over the years I've noticed they will cut the bamboo practically down to the ground.

First time it happened I was all upset and mourned the loss of that pretty sight.

I got over it quick enough when I realized that it had just got a 'haircut'.

Dawn

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Once a culm grows it's done then new culms come up. Not sure when the growing season for bamboo would be in NJ but I think new culms usually grow starting around August. Short answer is cut off the broken pieces and the rest should be fine when new grow happens. The denser the clump grows the stronger the winds it will be able to handle.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all your advice & suggestions. I'm sure your information
will cheer Carolyn up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.