ORVG Coffee House #174 - Spring is here!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Old thread was getting way too long. We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081323/

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful picture to start the thread!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thats KY for ya......

Jan(et)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm boiling eggs & getting ready to cut out butter cookies. also want to get OUTSIDE on this gorgeous day. Love your daffs & forsythia, Neal.

So far, in bloom here, daffodils,summer snowflakes (early for them!), muscari, pasqueflowers, hellebores, species tulips, hyacinths, tulip tree, weeping cherry, weeping crabapple, snowcap arabis. Weeds, too, of course!
Yesterday Bruiser the cat went outside with me & spent 5 minutes cleaning his teeth on a rosebush branch. Ouch!

I hope everybody feels better soon! Sounds like sinus infections have laid half our list low. Since I've been trapped inside most of the winter (DS broke her ankle can't carry, stand for long, etc.), I've been infection-free. Not sure I want to trade all human contact for lack of sinus infection, but might feel differently if I was sick now.

Back to eggs & butter cookies!

Pat H.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Fire Weather Warning
(Expires: Friday April 2 8:00PM EDT)

the national weather service in wilmington has issued a red flag
warning, which is in effect until 8 pm edt this evening.

temperatures this afternoon will peak out in the lower 80s, with
relative humidity values from 20 to 25 percent. in
addition, breezy southwest winds from 15 to 20 mph at times will
continue into the early evening hours before decreasing. with
fuels very dry across the area, these conditions support the
rapid growth and spread of wildfires. fire weather conditions will
improve markedly toward sunset as humidity
increases, temperatures cool, and winds subside a bit.

(Zone 5b)

I agree, great picture to start out the new thread!

Butter cookies sounds delish!

It's so hard to remember sun screen first thing in the morning when I'm wandering around the back yard still in my PJ's! I usually slather it on really thick and don't care what it looks like as long as I can be outside LOL. Have lots of floppy hats too.

It's just beautiful today, the lawn guys moved a weeping cherry that I had too close to the house... now what to plant in that spot? It gets really hots there, micro climate, so I'm still debating. Another tree is isn't going to work. It'll be fun to go to the green house and look for something. I sure wish the weather would stay like this, this is such a tease, if we get more snow this year I'll cry.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh shitake! Should I tell hubby to water down the cardboard he just set fire to? LOL It probably burned out by now.

Oh man, I am fried. Sunburn from yesterday and SPF 50 barely calmed it since I was out most of the afternoon.

Great pic Neal!

Hello Pat! Nice to see you!

Just came for a quick check in and am headed back out. Who can pass up this wonderful weather???

welp i found a bag of 25 hosta's or i think they are hosta's ? and not box to match them ? unmarked bag , no tags no nuffin ?
mystery plant. Uhg. :(

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Went to town yesterday for a load of feed and the bank's thermometer said 89.5 degrees. I think we skipped Spring. But I know we have a few more cold spells to weather. Gotta get back to work. Cross Walk is tonight but it's too far for me. Egg hunt is tomorrow.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Pretty hot on this hilltop too. Hit 90 yesterday and 88 today. But it's already dropped to 83. Clouds moving in and I think rain for tonite. I'm trying to get the frost hardy transplants in the ground before the rain. Forecast is awesome, but I'm still not taking any chances on a late frost.

(Zone 5b)

TONI!!! Didn't mean to forget - YES, thank you so much for the extra's!! You ARE the Tupperware Queen! LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey guys. Man it was 90 there? I think we hit 80 or so up here. Hope we don't go straight into summer.

Jan, I feel for you. Stuff always ends up in my ears. It's funny, because my mom says I really didn't get ear infections as a kid. My doc says my left ear's very red and there's fluid behind my eardrum, plus the right looks like it's infected, just not as badly. She thinks I have a sinus infection going on, too. So, it's horse pill amoxicillin and probiotics for the next several days, along with Mucinex and Sudafed...and lots of water.

My best friend Amy's dad had a heart attack several months ago, and had another a few days ago. His heart's only operating at 23% now. Thy did tests and there's no physical blockage, just damaged heart muscle from the two attacks. He's short of breath and weak, with fluid buildup. It doesn't sound like there's much they can do except hope they can adjust his meds well. He's really agitated in the hospital, so they hope to get him home soon. He also has signs of dementia. =( We feel so bad for all of them.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodevening, Everyone,

I'd say I worked my tail off today, but I can still kind of feel it and it's pretty numb. I planted out almost 300 transplants today. That sure opened up the greenhouse. Starting to look like a market garden now. :D

Neal, I have lots of Forsythia and Daffodils blooming too, as well as cherry bushes and peach trees. It's beautiful. Is that your new back yard?

Sue, I keep telling myself it's really hard work now, but things will settle down before long. Same holds true for you.

Ouch, GW....hopefully the meds will start wroking soon for you.

Toni, sure glad to see you back here.

Bonnie, glad to see you are getting progressively better!

Pat, my favorite cookies!

Annie, how's the little chickies?

Janet, we've traveled a lot of states and every one has some cool stuff, but I think by far, Kentucky is the absolutely most beautiful!

Cajun, don't be overdoing it!

Where's Marcy?

Ric, what's the project d'jour?

Sorry I missed some, will catch you next time....

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Just back from the Good Friday service at church. I was tired and almost decided not to go, but did and it was a lovely service.

Cajun, we don't do the cross walk at our church, but there were several around. I have always wanted to do it, but this was not the year to try.

Robin, goodness, you have been busy with the planting today. The weather liars are saying rain, so sounds like you got everything planted in time for Mother Nature to water everything in.

Kim, I think it is just the time of year for the dratted sinus and ear infections. I am taking Amoxicillin for the bronchitis, and I am getting better. Will be glad when that part of the illness is over, and maybe I will begin to feel better. I think if you tend to have any kind of allergies, spring is the time that they really act up, with everything blooming.

Pat, it is good to see you checking in. Sounds like you have not escaped the illness and accidents either. How did your DD break her ankle? Gosh sounds like you take the prize for the most kinds of flowers blooming. Today with the warm weather all of the Bradford pears burst forth in full bloom. The crab apples are about ready, and a few blooms on the weeping cherry, and a viburnum. Next week, if the weather stays warm, I will have lots of blooms.

Janet, bet you are working your hinney off too. I have done the "where is my sugar" thing, or coffee or flour. I guess in my case I know I need it, and think that just thinking about it gets it on my grocery list!! I still have some strawberries and peaches that I need to get made into preserves. Maybe one week soon.

Yeah, where is Joyce, marcy, Ric, george and Neal? You guys have been gone, so it is time to check in.

Off to bed before my eyes completely shut.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Still working on the Shed.
Got it leveled out and stiffened up.
Tomorrow I'll start working the rafters.
Baking tomorrow too.
I'm on Rolls for Easter.

Just saw our neighbor... she looks like a Lobster.... laid out for 6 hours.
Be surprised if she isn't blistered by tomorrow.....Jeez!
Yesterday was tank top, jeans and no hat... today shorts, T-shirt, hat and sandals.
We were in the mid 80's

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HI Bonnie!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Ric, I knew that you would be busy with your latest project. I bet your neighbor will be wanting some relief from the pain tomorrow. I never could understand folks who fry themselves the first few days, and take several days to recover from it.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm alive...barely...lol. Been working outside since early this morning. Getting lots done...and dead tired when i come in...but oh how i love it!
Good to see all of you...and hear about what you are doing.
I'm heading to bed before I drop. Grocery and cooking tomorrow..while it rains.
Sleep well everyone ..hugggs!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the motto is:
Don't drink a lot of beer, lay out and have no one to flip you when one side is done.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Can't sleep so I thought I'd check in & see what everyone has been up to!

Bonnie, my sister broke her ankle first about 10 years ago. She was living all the way across town & I was running back & forth to make sure she had things to eat, got to doctor's office, etc. Ever since then her ankle has had a tendency to swell. This time she just tripped on the edge of the carpet & went down. The bone wasn't displaced, & she wore a boot instead of a cast, but her kidneys aren't functioning too well right now-- for reasons unknown-- & so she's spent most of her time with her leg propped up. I'm getting kind of tired out, though-- it's not as though I have a fabulous body with no joint problems myself!
SHe does drive herself to physical therapy, which is helpful, but I'd sell my firstborn male child for someone to do the grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, etc.
My younger sister has been spending abt 18 hours a day at school: their building has been under renovation for the last couple years. Spring break they had to have their classrooms packed up & ready to move, & then they had 2 days to get it ready for the kids. She teaches kindergarten in a Montessori school. I went in to help pack, but I really wanted to sit down and play!
Glad that the church service was good. What is cross walking? I ended up reading the Good Friday service out in the garden this afternoon. There's a bunch of prayers called the Solemn Collects, and once you prayed those, the whole universe is pretty well taken care of. I was glad I wasn't back in seminary kneeling on a stone floor while we prayed, but I do miss the singing when I'm on my own.

Ric, that is one dandy motto! You ought to cross stitch it in fancy lettering-- in all your spare time!
I got a new bumper sticker that says "Honk if you have poor impulse control" but I'm almost afraid to put it on & find out how many people really might qualify!

Happy Easter to all!
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Forgot to include blooming trees pic. These were swamped with bees today--honeybees, bumblebees, wasps-- you could hear the trees!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning everyone! Thanks for the pic comments! Yep Robin, that's my back yard. I was walking around taking some pics and stepped around to see that little view, and was like "awe! that's a pretty pic!", and the camera battery was dead, LOL. By the time it was charged, the sun was down, but I went back out in the morning, the light was better then anyway.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Pat, beautiful spring pic!

I'm waiting for daylight to take a stroll to the greenhouse and garden before the rain comes in. I hear it's only suppose to last a few hours. I need to move all my seed starting stuff and seedlings out to the greenhouse to make room for Hubby's return.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I am really excited about our yard. This is the first time I've been here at the right time to see all the spring blooms. I'm hoping the rain doesn't knock all the blossoms off the trees, so that Al can see them in a couple fo days.

good morning
well mystery plant is revealed. But it sure looks like my hosta's ? its just a root ball no leaves popping out yet . So its hard to tell ? but i found a label and its the only one left sooooo ??? yep i m a schooled person wiff a big egeomacation on dem planties. Give this girl a scholarship !
i m almost done with this shipment and then i got azaleas and i m not sure i ordered them , the lady said this was my second box and i didn't get the first one yet ? and they are not for this zone ??? i don't order things that are not my zone ? she ain't calling me back either grrrrrrr.
did i tell you all this already ? i must be tired
sooooo
Geo is busy with his new house i talk to him lately.
welp coffee just kicked in
better run
have a great day ya'll

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Neal I meant to comment on the yard.
Love the flowers!
Especially the trees blossoms!
Same w/ yours Pat.
As our yard is so small we only have a couple of redbuds.
Have to live vicariously............

Geo have FUN!

LOL! I only get about 2 calls a week on my cell..... yesterday both came at once.
Sue it was good talking w/ you yesterday!

Supposed to be 70° here today and T-Storms moving thru.
No Alerts....YET!

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, are there any little purplish points sticking off the roots?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ric, aren't the spring blooming trees awesome! I just went out to check my wintersown containers and white petals from a plum tree were blowing around like confetti! That feels so magical, reminds me of standing under the blooming fruit trees enthralled as a child. The feeling is no different now, I'm just bigger, LOL.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning! Neal...I meant to say what a beautiful pic of your yard! And Pat...love yours too!
Our trees are just beginning to come out here, so I enjoyed both of those. I do have daffies, hyacinths, crocus, and grape hyacinths ...all blooming..oh...and plumeria too. Lilacs are in small leaves...and I can see bloom buds..yayy.
The rain has started here..just a few minutes ago...so it's on it's way to the rest of ya! Guess the weatherliars were about an hour late on their prediction! They said noon for us.
My yard is starting to look pretty good, since I have such a head start on cleaning things up this year! Dave said it already looks better than it looked all last year...lol. He knows why that is though.
Well...it's off to the grocery after lunch...and then back home to make dessert for tomorrow.
Have a wonderful day everyone...and a wonderful Easter too!

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

((((((((( Wavin')))))))))))

Can you all believe it was 86 here yesterday?? I was out in the garden I am not growing this year all day LOL

Today is laundry day in Toniville.

Ric I keep going back to that shed you are buliding. I really like that.

Annie no prob, hon. Glad you liked the goodies. I was thinking bowls and they don't offer those anymore, and I had 3 sets not in use.

Well gotta get to the dryer.

Love and kisses! Enjoy the weather!

Nope no purple tips , nor any green leaves like a daylily ?
just root and pointed tips but so small i can't tell ? so i guess they will be a mystery plant until they bloom ?
Ric thanks for all the advice ! sure helped out.
got to run

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That was easier than I thought. Image of bare root hosta showing the eye. http://vannoortbulb.com/cms/images/stories/bareroot_hosta_hand_closeup.jpg

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Good heavens, I can't get motivated today. The rain only lasted 1 1/2 hours and now the sun's out and it's 77*. Need to do some weed eating and hand pulling weed, nothing too difficult, but can't get started.

Waddy, KY

Motivation seems to be a problem here too. I got 10 of the 30 some daylilies planted this morning before it starting blowing and raining. Came home to start house cleaning and trying to start dinner prep for tomorrow's company. As it is I've made 3 casseroles, haven't made the pies, jello salad, run the sweeper, dusted or mopped the kitchen floor. UGH!!!!

Wind is still blowing here like a banshee. The wind chimes are going like crazy. Sun is shining though and the skies have cleared off.

Happy Easter to all!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Made yeast 72 rolls.... Robyn did 3 cakes.... we're done.....lol!

Ric

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My problem is that my mind is motivated but not my body! I mowed half the yard yesterday, mower set on highest length, and the grass cuttings still cover everything. I managed to rake about 1/3 and put some around my veggies as mulch/green manure. Then I ran out of steam...

Your rain hasn't arrived here yet, so there is a slight possibility I can rake more tomorrow before I leave for my trip to UVa. I hate to leave dead grass so thick it causes brown spots on the yard.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Today is Maddie's 6th birthday!

Plenty going on her but it feels like nothing is getting done:

Easter bunny isn't coming unless bedrooms are clean...

I'm updating my website...

Hubby is working on his chores...

Nolan is being a beast...

Maddie is in princess mode...

Another boring day in the life of me.

(Zone 5b)

Wow, it's so windy here! We were out in the yard with the dogs and tears were running down my face from the wind. Dogs loved it, chasing flying sticks and grass. Wanted to put the chicks out for a while but they would have blown away. Hmmm, after the huge mess they left in their pen this morning.. might have to conside the options LOL

Have so much to do to get ready for tomorrow. Love the family get togethers, we have so much FUN. It's been a very long week with spring break and I'm ready for Monday - so things to get back to normal, or what is considered normal.

Ric, yeast rools sound so goood, what kind of cakes did Robyn make?

msrobin, too much sun! You'll get motivated again. Pics of your yard?

Love everyone's blooms and blooming trees!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Janet, today reminds me of the day you and your DH came up here to dig daylilies! I don't think we have had a day with so much wind since then!
Jules

Chelle maybe you should do a reality show for your crew :)
Yes the mystery plant is a hosta
But the label is a mix up ? they sent me the tags for a daylily but no daylily ? LOLLL.... not
i have 16 more hosta's to plant and i m done !
the wind is wicked here also
must be 35 to 40 mph ?
a bit cold brrrrrr.
well we see some sun so we may go outside
bbl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.