How to keep grass (lawn) from invading my flower beds

Livingston, NJ

Dear All,

I made several long flower beds in my front and back yard last year. Removed all the grass from those areas, now I find the grass is happily invading the beds faster than I can remove it. HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Emily

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i find a deep edge ( about 3" deep) around the beds keeps the grass at bay well.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

putting a boarder might help as well.. have to be careful when mowing that the clippings don't end up in your beds

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I use the english trench method like Bill does on some and brick pavers or dug up rocks around others. I think the trench is the easiest to maintain if not as decorative.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i think the deep trench is decorative:) - a couple years ago an insurance guy showed up to check out the property - first question he asked me was about the edging - did i do it and then how did i do it:) think he went right to hd for the edging hound tool.

Thomaston, CT

I have raised beds, & the grass gets in, I have edged beds & the grass gets in, I have mulched beds & the grass gets in.....no help from here!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Well I agree with you on that Bill. I do like the look of them and also as I said they are much easier to maintain. The whole while I was doing the edging out back where there are brick pavers and the time it takes to reset them so they look half way decent after winter I was thinking I should just trench this like out front.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and make a patio out of the edgers

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like digging a trench and placing something in it, old bricks, flat stone, recycled composite, or even abs molded edging. A lot of my edging is railroad tie set level, so you can mow right up to and over the edge. If you use something substantial you can trim with a power edger maybe once a year, (I do mine in the fall to improve drainage). You can also use a flat shovel or edging tool to trim the creeping back. Some things such as clover or red fescue may require a more aggressive schedule. Ric

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bill, the Edging tool I have has a round bottomed blade. That design allows you to rock it and adds a little leverage to the effort. Easier to get better penetration, (I hope Victor doesn't see that one). LOL Ric

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

:) i like the straight edge stile:)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok It's Holly adding my 2cents. I like edged beds and I agree that a very neatly dug edge can be very attractive and easy to maintain once dug. I need something that says the bed starts here. We put in that plastic edging in one area years ago (like 30) and it is still solid. Even though the grass may creep in over it I have a reference point when I weed it back out. I'm not crazy about brick edging. I like the look but mostly the grass grows into it at the edges and you are always digging it back out. I also like edges where you can mow right over them. If Ric has to go back with the weedeater it is more work for him. I like RRties and landscape ties buried in the ground, but then you have more straight edges. In the areas where we are raising the bed other than the stone walls. I like to put a landscape tie in the ground and then set back the raised ties several inches that way you can mow right up and not have to go back with the weedeater. It is extra work to dig them in but Ric agrees that in the long run it was a lot easier to maintain. Of course the more flower beds you have the less grass you have to worry about. LOL

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with Robindog. (lol)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it's no lie!!!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I've tried a trench but I guess it isn't deep enough because the grass still gets in. Can anyone tell me how you do yours and what it looks like afterward? Then I can try to replicate and hopefully do a better job than I have (I want turf grass to be considered an invasive species! it certainly is in my yard. grr)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.