How to compost faster?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Hi I have one of those biostack composters and really like it, my question is, it is not heating up at all, I do have tons of worms on it but I also heard that this way of composting can take years. I am wondering how I can bring the heat level up in my compost so it can decompose quicker. I added lots of bales of straw that were decomposing in my yard along with Alfalfa hay as well that was getting moldy and wet, along with scraps of vegetable peels and veggie scraps, cooffee and just recently got some little chicks so I just added some shredded paper with their manure on it. I am wondering if I am lacking something or not. The pile looks to be moist enough as well. I have been turning more or less every 2 weeks, even got some EM with molases and water once to try to get more microorganisms in the compost pile.

At first I thought that this might have been due to the cold temps we had this winter but now that the weather is finnally getting warmer I am wondering if maybe I lack something.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Carminator,
I have several Biostacks and I'm surprised that you aren't getting some heating up with the nitrogen you're adding (alfalfa and chicken manure) to the carbons, plus your turning of the bin's contents. The warmer temps of spring/summer should help, and try turning/moistening once a week.
Having said that, I find that it still seems to take several weeks for compost in my Biostacks to break down, even under optimum circumstances (like me paying adequate attention to the piles! LOL) I add alfalfa meal when I don't have other sources like grass clippings.

Maybe some other real compost expert can analyze your compost-elements better than I. It could also have something to do with the proportions of browns-greens.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Cape Cod, actually I just started adding a little bit of chicken manure, just what my little chicks produce, they are only a week old so not much there. I did add lots of alafalfa hay and also straw but they were a little matted down so I am wondering if maybe the oxigen was not getting to the pile too well. After months it seems like it is finaly breaking down a little but it is still far from done and like I mentioned before not getting hot.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Don't think it was oxygen or you would be all concerned about wet, stinking slippery rot. In order to work real well the pile needs to be 4 X 4 X 3 up to 4 high. The elements need to be roughly balanced by volume at one part green and six to ten parts browns. There is a fair amount of leeway but the average needs to be good to get the pile working. Lack of water is a common error I discover when I went hands on trouble shooting. That would be the first likely problem while the stack mass being short of minimum being the second. If a reasonably good pile is in place and turned weekly it is entirely possible to finish a pile in six to eight weeks. That being said I absolutely never took less than half a summer to get one up and finished. I never in my life turned weekly. In my later years I just built the piles and stepped back expecting conversion to take from fall of one year to early fall a year later.

One overlooked fact is that your existing garden soil likely has in it most of what you need.....just not enough. Therefore don't overlook the value of adding at least some native soil as the pile builds.

Don't get discouraged. Fifty years ago it took me a year or two to get the hang of how a good pile is brought into working temperatures like you hear others speaking of. The bottom line is that no matter, within reason, what you do, the time it takes to get to finished compost will likely be the only difference.
Mother Nature does it the slow way. Only we humans think we have to have life faster than Mother.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks docpipe, I forgot to mention just recently I've been addind lots of my own soil, I had from digging holes to plant my fruit trees, hopefully this will help as well. As far as big compost, I know that mine reached the top of the composter, in fact I could not place any more. I do remember having lots of browns as well, mainly straw that I had in my back yard and was a little rotted out because I forgot to cover it when it rained ( I think they were 4 bales , the same thing with the alfalfa hay at least 2 bales of rooted alfalfa, plus some coffee grounds as well and peels etc... This time I was not able to add any grass clippings though since my grass was turning brown and it stopped growing.
I keep adding peels and coofee grounds since it has not decomposed yet.

I was told that if you can get a hot compost you can get it done in 4-5 months time, but since mine is not getting hot at all it is taking a lot longer, I am sure the end result might be better since all the composting worms are there etc...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.