suggestions-Spring blue compact flower (Lithodora nightmare)

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, so I have Purple Beauty Creeping Phlox along the edge of one of my beds and I HAD Grace Ward Lithodora kind of every other one mixed in with the phlox. Well, it was absolutely stunning the first year until I killed all of the lithodora. Thought it didn't like being watered directly on the plants, so bought all new ones the next year and started watering AROUND them. That worked for a while, another beautiful spring and I thought I had figured it all out--until they started to die, one by one. Now, the current theory, being right on the line of Zone 7a & 7b, is that when they say "Morning sunlight only", boy, they really mean it on this particular guy! Again, just a theory. I have bought one more (Yikes) and put it in morning sun only just to prove or disprove the theory. If this one croaks, I am NEVER buying one again (even though they are one of my favs). I tell you, this one is my Gardenia, whatever I do they die!

So, I need to fill in the holes that Grace Ward left behind. I so loved the purple and dark/bright blue combination. Do any of you guys have suggestions for something that looks and acts like Phlox but blooms very close to the same color blue as Grace Ward? I know I am asking for a lot but I so loved that combo! It obviously needs to be a Spring bloomer as well. FYI - I really don't like baby blue or purples that they call blue when they are really purple. Looking for a true blue here! The area gets sun from about 1 pm to 3:30 or 4 pm, typically. Dappled shade in the morning hours.

Thanks soooo, soooo much!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2010 10:13 AM

Gates, NC

At Lowe's yesterday I saw Techno Blue lithodora which is a darker blue and the tag said sun to part shade.
I too keep trying this plant and killing it, but I might get one of these to try.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

My brunnera jack frost is blooming like crazy right now, and is a beautiful blue. I don't know whether it would be able to handle the afternoon sun that your site gets, but I think you'd like the flowers.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

here's a pic from this morning . . .

Thumbnail by pgt
King, NC(Zone 7a)

How about veronica 'Georgia Blue'? I got mine from www.classygroundcovers.com last fall but I've seen it in Home Depot and Walmart this spring. It seems to like the sun.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

VA Bluebells are also blooming right now, mine are in part shade.

I do think you are right, Brunnera wouldn't tolerate the heat in that particular area. Yours are beautiful, though!

Actually, Veronica Georgia Blue is on my short, short list right now. I am seriously considering that one. Wish it was a darker blue, but I know I can't have everything. It is definately at the top!

I have heard that VA bluebells are too agressive for that particular area. I just want it in clumps at the front of the bed, don't want it to push out anything else there.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

My lithodora keep committing suicide as well. I think depression runs in their genes. I've decided this was my last spring of frustration.

Adairsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a pic of my GA blue veronica. It blooms first, then my creeping phlox. Muscari also blooms at the same time as the phlox. This patch was 3 plants I planted 5 years ago.

Thumbnail by ladybug_pc
Adairsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a close picture of the flowers on GA blue veronica.

Thumbnail by ladybug_pc

Ummmm, are you telling me Georgia blue veronica spreads like crazy? Can you keep it under control easily. I don't want an invasive in that bed!

Adairsville, GA(Zone 7b)

No, this patch isn't as big as it looks. It's just the angle of the picture. GA blue spreads at about the same rate as creeping phlox. I don't find it invasive at all.

If you want to talk invasive, talk about evening primrose. Don't plant primrose unless you want it to take over!

LOL, that is hilarious b/c I have a big spot of evening primrose and it hasn't ever given me any trouble :) It is definately an invasive, though and tries every year to go into my flower bed, but I just keep the babies pulled up and it stays put. I'm sure you are wondering where they are if they aren't in a flower bed. They line the crack in the concrete between my driveway and my house! The slogan should be "Evening Primerose - no dirt required." They are beautiful blooming there every year but I don't let them go anywhere else, that's for sure!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.