April 2010

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just don't know the name of this bulbs got blooming few days ago...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got the penoies growing out and start to form the leaves...

Peaches' bloom yesterday...

Pansies' bloom full...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Another one:

Red

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Thanks Rusty for a nice good morning with those gorgeous blooms!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It was a busy 3 days with the Grandkids. After we took them home yesterday I turned the smaller east garden and planted peas. We seem to be clouding up, so I suppose today won't be as warm. Yesterday it was almost 80° with a warm soft breeze and sun thru thin clouds. A perfect spring day.

Shortleaf, real name Sally. Call me Billy or Sally. I try to use a person's Dave name because I figure we picked it because we like it. But, if a person signs their real name, I figure it's meant to use it. I use it more as I get to know the person, but still use the Dave name. Yep, easy to see I had Grandkids for a few days. My sentences are getting longer and looping around, LOL!!

I've thought about trying Witch Hazel, but I don't have much room and try to grow fruit first. I love cleaning out areas as long as there is no poison ivy in them. The new plantings sound wonderful! Yum yum on the blackberries!!

Garden6, ROTFL!!! Suckering, a good thing to know!!

Happ, I've heard horror stories about wisteria, but don't we all fall in love with it at first sight! I love how you graze as you browse! It never hurts to look and if you find something special, well, you just need it for the soul.

Susan, I think Diane is beautiful!

Pepper, I hope it doesn't cost a lot to get the truck fixed. I feel bad for you being without it.

Shortleaf, I'm rolling up my sleeves and salivating over the blank slate you will have after it's cleared out. Is that a milkshake tree? Looks like the straws grow first, LOL!

Happ, LOL! I see you call it blank slate too!

2gmk, what color rhodie? I've never had one. (Boy, does that sound like deja vu.)

Thanks Rusty! I'm glad we didn't run you off your thread! I love love love grape hyacinths! The kids were selling things for school last year and I ordered bicolor blue, instead of candy. I hope they bloom for me this year. Gorgeous purple on the pansies! I have an orange one that reseeded. oohhh, I love the red pansy!

Little boys belong on the roof :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Billy, you have blue grape hyacinths very pretty. BEV

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Their on the roof? I never go up there without a foil hat on! lol
Yeah, lotta work to do back there, thats for sure. That is a milkshake tree, it motivates me! : ) Have you ever seen Vinca Minor grow up one? It does here! I must stop the Vinca before it gets to them!
Lot of clearing it is, I'm about to get that chainsaw back out and take care of more business!

Yeah, I was gonna guess Grape Hyacinths Rusty, there are some here too.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

billyporter, I picked my DG just cause I didn't have a clue what I was doing and what DG really was all about. I should of put more fore thought into it, but I was at work and just trying to get DG to accept some name.....and it shows. There are people with such clever names they just crack me up. What cutie boys up on the roof. Bet you have lots of fun.

Sorry if I am repeating myself, but I went to Costco yesterday and the bag was 15 hostas for 20.00. I did remember that much.

I left work on time (which everyone here calls early) and started the water garden pump up. What a mess I have, too many fish, too small a pond, and enough algae to fuel the world......

Love the flowers Rusty...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Peaches's blooming

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Peonies...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Camellia...Ju ate some buds last month and here only 1 left to bloom...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Ju digging my new raised bed (look for the tree's root!)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As Rusty walked by and Ju got something in her mouth yuck! Dirt ball from I use the rototiller on new raised bed...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Ju, is awfully helpful! Busting dirt balls, tilling, and triming.....rofl. Misery loves company.

Billy~Gorgreous smiles on the boy pumpkins! Glad everyone had a great time.

Shortleaf~ I hope that chainsaw is well oiled and sharp. You have a lot of work ahead of you but it's going to look great when you're done.

Rusty~ Ju is definitely a busy puppy!

Got to run.... the pumpkins are through with their snacks and I am sending them to play outside.
Everyone enjoy the long weekend and Happy Easter!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Found out tonight that I'm leaking tranny fluid. I have 2 major spots in the driveway and they are big. One is where I normally park and one is up by the house. Truck leaves tomorrow but we will have to probably add a half a case to get it where it needs to go in Buckner which is about 30 min north of here.

$20 for 15 Hostas isn't so bad. My name shortleaf is actually after the tree, a nice Pine tree native to Missouri even.
I am rather shorter than average at 5' 7", but that wasn't why the name tho. : )
Yeah, I oiled that chain only twice when I used it the other day. The next time tho I will oil it even more because I'm changing the oil in the lawnmower and I'll have plenty of used oil to pour on the chain. Thanks garden6, I hope it turns out nice. Thanks for the pics, Rusty. Pouring tranny fluid in can't be fun. When I had my 1970 Ford pickup at the end I would stop and get a gallon of oil just so it'd be enuff to make the short trip. Good luck with your repair, Pepper.
Wanna see my ditch lilies from happ in their big red pot? I have Red Daylilies and Irises yet to pot.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City, MO

Billyporter, no idea what color rhodie is, got it at fall RU.. Guess I will find out when it blooms.

Hope all of you are coming to this years ru. Even tho I almost froze I had fun at last years ru.....boy was it cold!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I just passed my Realtor tests all I have left to do is send in the paperwork and I can then sell property. I am looking fwd to the extra income.

Ohhh, congratulations! That is a mile stone. Hope you have great success and the market starts going up, altho I don't think Missouri at least here hasn't been hit as hard as other areas. ..bells....and ....whistles! YEAH!

If you are planning on coming to the RU please post in the RU thread. If I need to post links here I'd be more than happy too. I just need names and food. It's not that far away. :~)

Yeah, despite the cold and the bike race we still managed to have fun. lol. I especially enjoyed the farmer's market. Came home with a few goodies though I wanted ALOT more!! LOL.

Allan, congrats on getting your license!! I think you will have a great time selling property and will do a great job!!

I was supposed to take my tranny to Buckner to have a guy down there work on it today. Well, my brother wasn't able to get ahold of him so he said forget it. We are now taking it to Certified Transmissions in KC. They have worked on my other 2 trucks and serviced this one once before. They do a great job so they get it now. Gonna probably cost more but I won't have to worry about it. We are taking it up there Sunday night and dropping it off for them so they can work on it during the week. Hopefully we can get it to drive that far. I know I'm making my dad drive it. lol.

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, your Ju looks a lot like my Tanner! Only Tanner will be 7 this July. :-( He's getting to be a senior now. sigh This was taken a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Shortleaf, I have never seen vining vinca, much less climbing a tree! That's one thing I never started because I heard it goes all over and is very hard to get rid of!

Happ, I picked a couple names before this one went thru. I like your's. It's like, seeing an old friend, name :o) A pond is something I don't have time to deal with, but you gotta love the bright red Koi!

Rusty, you are a little ahead of me with blooms. I hope to see our peach tree produce this year. Last year they didn't do well at all. We have two trees we grew from a store peach labeled "Colorado" peaches. We usualy buy Missouri peaches. But, they grew and one has good peaches. The other, we'll have to see.

Aawww, Happ said it best. She's adorable! I love the raised ears, asking if this was something she should be doing?
Thanks Garden6. They love attention :o)

Pepper, I hope your truck gets fixed prety soon. I'll bet you miss it.

Shortleaf, cool name. The ditch lilies lok great!

My name is for a song I like, called Billy Porter. There is a singer named Billy Porter, but I didn't know it till after I chose my name.

Allanme79, that's great! I would love to walk thru houses and see how they are laid out. I think it would be a great job. A lot of hard work because you're selling a big item, but still, a labor of love.

Pepper, they might get it fixed faster too. A person can't be without their wheels for very long. LOL on making Dad drive!!

Howdy Creekwalker! Tanner is a beauty! His friend is cute too ;o)

We got rain yesterday so it cooled us down. I decided weeding was more important than the garden. It's a bit early for radish anyway. Next week is better. I can't wait to walk around and see what popped overnight! The grass is really green now!! I've got things to do around the house too. I have little to do piles here and there. I get on the computer and time flies. I haven't even had a walk yet.

My headstone is going to read, "There's never enough time in a day!"

Everyone have a great day if I don't get back!!

Thats alright if the Vinca goes all over, we like it okay. And it provides some green in the Winter. Wanna see my potted up Iris tubers and my potted up Red Daylilies?
Well, they were potted up before, just in black nursery pots, the new pots are a step up! : ) I got my chainsaw back out yesterday and did some more clearing. I noticed some of the weedy bushes getting leaves and I can't have that, so they got the chainsaw treatment. They knocked my chainsaw's chain off for my trouble! But, I got my tools out and it cut more than ever, so they only paused the cutting for a while! I just went along the fence with it and cut like mad!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Boy you guys I hope your day was as beautiful as mine!
I did my master gardener volunteer work cleaning up a city flower bed first, then came home and cleaned on one of my flower beds and muched and just had a wonderful time. It was a perfect day in the garden!

billyporter, I have one lone peach tree and it has buds on it. I am so glad it made it thru the winter. I forgot the name I will have to look. It is a dwarf tree I got for my birthday last year. Nothing better than fresh peaches. I have had a couple of trees but they have not made it thru our winters, I am surprised your's do so well, since you are north of me. I have one over bearing pear tree, I love it the deer love it, people at work love it, cause it bears more darn beautiful fruit. I got it a kmart a long time ago. The pond isn't bad to take care except spring. Fall I just cover it up with screen so leaves don't fall in it. Spring is the real clean up job. It is amazing how much time I can spend watching fish in a pond. It even does it to DH and he can't usually sit still a minute. But I have learned fish are very busy at making babies! I think every time I look in there, I have new babies! My pond is small and I can't keep all these guys....anyone for a fish fry? Just kidding.... ;D

Wish I could drag all my flowers outside....

Everyone have a wonderful beautiful Easter!

Shortleaf, glad you made those bushes pay for taking your chain off....LOL You are so funny.

I have gotten tired of waiting on mother nature so I started turning my garden by hand today. lol. Take a shovel, scoop a load then dump adn break. I got 2 rows done. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a few more. I have radishes needing to out along with potatoes and onions. I need to figure out what to plant in my radish area when they are done for the summer. Maybe I'll do a few different herbs in there.

Watched the Mavericks on the screens at the arena last night. They gave Rapid City a run for their money and went into overtime. We eventually lost though so are now done for the season. Final score was 7-6. Great game they played!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Shortleaf, you have some mighty fine looking plants and potting soil! My Dad was cutting up the small trees the power company cut across the road and his chain slipped off too. He was able to grab it and work it back on. I can see you cutting like crazy!

Happ, chilly here, so I stayed in and worked. Ahhh, another Master Gardener! (No, I'm not one.) Our peach was just one grown in Colorado, so it has done fairly well. We had really good peaches from it once, since 2006, when the seed sprouted.. It's the late cold snap that gets it. Year before last it was the bugs. We sprayed last year, but rain must have washed the pollen off. It grows like a weed, but the peaches are big. The weedy white peach that grows well around here has small bitterish fruit. We love pears, but mine keep dying (Bartlett) and it shouldn't. I've planted two now and have given up. We have a friend with an ancient pear tree. First year I canned 59 quarts. I've learned to cook the fruit a bit and get more in the jar.

Pepper, that's just what I did to mine! I'm geting a small tiller one of these days. I've only got peas and spinach in so far. I'll bet the game was exciting!

Happy Easter All!

The squares are the asparagus beds. They were the foundation under the porch where I grew up. The dry areas dried that fast. I did it all in one afternoon. I turned and DH raked the clods. It was much less back breaking that way!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Your pear tree keeps dieing? Dang. I am looking to plant some pear and apple trees on my farm and I want something pretty hardy. I am looking for something that will make some good wine, hardy, and the deer will like. I figure I will have to cage them while they are young but I don't want the hassle of spraying them. I will also be planting some grapes and I haven't decided yet about what kind of thornless blackberry to put along the fence rows.

Wish I knew what kind of pear I have, because it produces a ton of fruit even if we have a freak cold spell during blossom time. What pears fall the deer keep cleaned up which is nice and the ones on the tree we pick. They are sweet and juicy.

Played outside before the family came over and played when they left. Planted some daylilies.
I uncovered all the plants in my test winter garden and they all seemed to make it in flying colors, bought bunches of perennials at the end of the season for 2.00 or less (daylilies, lilies, hostas, iris, all kinds of stuff) instead of planting since it was so late I put them to bed, bags of mulch around then pots put in the center and mulch put on top. I put them in a shady area so I wouldn't have thaw and freeze so bad. Now I have cheap plants for the garden, mulch which I always need.

Wish I had started a food garden. Just don't know where I would find the time for everything.

Hope the Bunny was good to you all...LOL

Thanks happ, I try to be amusing! A fish fry?! Sure! Just kidding, what kind of fish are they? I tell you, those weedy bushes are going to pay, and they won't be amused when I drag all the dead limbs outta there either! : ) I thot about it, I better steer clear of the Costco Hostas. I got too many pots in the fire now! Thats tempting tho I must admit, alas, I'd get the Hosta bug! : ) Maybe you could send me a couple of Peach pits for postage? I'm guessing they are monoecious or hemaphoditic? Do you only have the one Dwarf?

Thanks Sally, a friend of mine dumpster dove for that soil a few years ago. He loaded up his station wagon and I gave him a dollar a bag for it.
I tried for a couple minutes to work my chain back on my chainsaw but it wouldn't, it was best to get all the twigs and stuff out and put it on a little tighter anyway. That is quite a garden there, nice firepit too!

Has anyone elses 'Pink China' EE sprouted? Mine from AuntB hasn't yet, it may not have over-wintered, it got pretty doggone cold. Somebody else may have kept their's indoors. Hope my 'Hilo Beauty' EE comes alive as well, I had to store it in an unheated garage. So far one EE is sprouting, one that I got from Allan in 08'.

Hi Allan, I ordered a thorned Blackberry bundle of 25 for $8 from the MDC - http://mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all -sorry, MO. residents only. My friend here would rather have the thorns and they don't really bother me either and the Fall color on the bushes is amazing, I've had those before. I don't think thorns deter deer. My friend here and her mother like the idea of trespassing little kids getting poked good by thorns! lol I use cactus for that myself! : ) Seriously, I bet they provide good food and cover for birds also.

Hi Pepper, if you ever want someone to go with you to a Mavericks game just let me know and I can meet you there. I might be able to scrape up enuff change for the admission.
Anybody wanna see the paver walk I made yesterday?
Sorry to those of you that have allergies.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 10:16 PM

This message was edited Apr 5, 2010 5:31 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Allan, I don't know what the problem is. I ordered from Miller Nursery and they were both beautiful trees. I didn't see any frost crack either. I was so unhappy. I love pears! I'm making a mini butterfly bed where the trees were. We have five Concord grape vines. They do well here. My Dad still has the vines that were there when I was a kid. One he brought from his Dad's place. I really need to get a start from it. The grapes are huge. I grew up with Grimes apples and always ate them green. My new favorite is Criterion. It's a blend of winter banana, red, and yellow delicious and it's very delicious! We make apple juice with a cider press and I can it. I have to depend on other's apples since I live in town and just have a snow apple and new Criterion going. I wish I had another lot just for fruit.

Happ, yum!! Good prices on the plants!! You're a smart gardener! It goes so much faster when you have what you need or want, on hand. You have everything I love :o)

Will, I'll bet you have the bed cleaned out in no time. It's going to look great! Yeah, I took my extra iron out of the fire last fall and didn't buy any plant this year. I keep saying I need to rework what I have, and this year I mean it!! I don't have any pits left or I'd send some. We played Johnny Appleseed and planted all of them around the countryside. DG has an Uncle who stands the pit on end and carves baskets out of them. He takes half the center out and makes the handle. Then hollows the bottom out and has the basket. They are the cutest things!

Are you serious!! That looks like great soil!! Laughing. We call it a burn barrel. I grew up with barrels and Dad gave us one when we first got married. The name just stuck. Luckily, we can burn in town and we burn anything that has our name on it. If you pull the bricks back on the front right corner, there are matches in there.

ROTFL!! I don't mind poking tresspassers either!!

That's a nice walk!

Well, I need to get up and get the morning started!

My ee's are still inside and in the back of the basement. I actually forgot about them til you said something. LOL. I won't be able to drag them outside tomorrow since I don't get off til right about the time the storms are supposed to fire up but my rain lily should go out.

Got good news today about my truck. My tranny is in good shape but my u joints in the front of the transfer case were worn out. So those got replaced and a rear seal behind the case was bad and causing me to lose all my fluid. I think there was a couple other minor things but that's pretty much the bulk of it. So instead of several thousand dollars it's several hundred. I'm very happy!! LOL

I used to have pear, peach and apple trees here but all of them died and now all of them are down. I miss the pear tree and would miss the peach tree but just as it started to set fruit, once again lightning struck it and killed it for good. lol. We gave up after that on peach trees here. Now just have hedge apples left for the horses in the pasture next to our place.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I have a box of rain lilies tucked way back. My cats won't let me get them out yet because they want to eat the leaves.

Great news on the truck!!!!

I wish I had room for a lot of fruit trees, and bushes. I love grazing outside.

I love to put hedge apples around for decoration every fall!

It looks like a warm day for us. The rain wasn't as much as we were to get. I need to get a nice walk in this morn!

I been getting some yard-work done lately. I dragged out a bunch of dead limbs from the bush mess and I been breaking it up into pieces so I can get it all in yard sacks and out to the corner this month. I'm raking leaves also.. lol I filled up 3 yard sacks of leaves. I let the leaves go way too long before I raked them! I did get 4 Ostrich Ferns planted, 2 in decorative pots and 2 in the ground.
Yesterday I planted Poppy and Pansy seeds in the greenhouse! I even got a photo of them. That cage is actually a pen (around the mini-greenhouse) that we kept an old cat of my friend's in recently, she died a week ago, I have protection from the other cats eating them now.
I'm hoping my Elephant Ears start coming to. Something else I wanna do is make sort of a tropical plant display and Elephant Ears would play a part, they just have to start looking alive!
I have all sorts of plans, I just gotta do it all now! : ) I plan a water garden, a BIG backyard planting, a cactus and rock garden area, a Bamboo trench, big weed tear-out and this tropical spot. And did I mention maintaining my superhero status also?! Just kidding but no rest for the worker bees!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oh yes Sally, I been lucky in potting soil. A few years ago I started out with a pallet of this soil. Now I'm down to about 6 - 20 lb. bags, I won't have quite enuff for everything I want to do this year. I'll be back to buying bags of the yellow and green miracle gro soil again!
A dollar a bag is better than $8 a bag..lol That friend is a dumpster diver from way back.
Remember the "Osco" stores, I think thats where he found them. I guess if they don't "sell gouge", they throw away! Actually, we don't keep in touch anymore. He sold me the very wagon that he brought over the soil in so I thot "no way does it not work right". I bot it for $150 back in the day, only problem was when it got to 40 mph it wouldn't go in drive, the transmission was out! To my dismay my friend sold me a lemon, just so he could get rid of it. Oh well, lesson learned, test drive first! : )
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Shortleaf, there I'm lucky. We have old railroad property across the road and all our sticks and yard pickings go over there. It's nice to have the cage. I have two house cats. Your dumpster diver is a person after my own heart :o) One man's trash is another's treasure! I do make compost, but it's never enough.

This is the seed starter shelving DH built. It's heavy! We have to bring it in in April and take it back out in May. I need another room built on!!

Boy, is it raining here!

Thumbnail by billyporter

That greenhouse you got is nice! You shouldn't have done the photo because now I have questions!
* Is it on casters?
* Did it have to have any electrical work? Or are those outlets plugged into an outlet somewhere, which is fine.
* Does it double as a greenhouse in the Winter for houseplants and other plants theres not room for in the house?
In any case tell DH nice job. If there isn't casters on it tell him to put some on it so it rolls, that thing would give somebody a hernia..lol That thing is sweet tho, I hafta find the room for one now and make one!

I wish we lived somewhere rural so we could burn or just had somewhere to put all the yard waste like weedy bushes! Heres a photo I took today of the hideous mess I'm cleaning up. - Compared to Mar. 30., there is a little difference, not much..lol -
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7668612
It stormed here last nite, sun is out right now! : )
Yeah dumpster diving has paid off for me too pretty good over the years. One year I got 600 or 700 Shumard Oak seedlings out of a dumpster behind a regional MO. Conservation office in Blue Springs, MO. In that same dumpster were all sizes of black plastic nursery pots that have came in real handy over the years.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City, MO

We got nickel size hail and a lot of rain here in Parkville today. My plants are sheltered so they did not get damaged. I have several astilbe that are quite large and a bleeding heart that started blooming yesterday. It is supposed to be in the upper thirties tonight. I am really ready for the weather to stay warm so I can put the hostas, astilbes,begonias and caladiums that I started inside into place outside. Also have impatiens that I started from seed that are needing to be potted up to go outside.I also have 4 containers potted up and 1 hanging basket that will need to go outside soon.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Shortleaf, no it does not roll. Yes, he put outlets on each level for each light and the whole thing is on a timer. After I get all the plants started and hardened off outside, it goes back in the garage for another year. Right now it blocks the air conditioner. I'd love to have a room to leave it in all the time. Since I have cats, I've cooled chicken in there. Let bread rise and just put anything the cats want, in there. If it rolls, it might tip over. We set it on a rug and sort of tip it slightly back. I have ''in progress'' building pictures I'll post. Actually, I'll make a thread so we don't hijack Rusty's too much. I'll link it here when I get it done. It might take a day to get around to it. I'll give dimensions and cost too.

I love dumpster diving. My little flag in the garden came from a cemetary dumpster. Also the cross for my feral cat that decided to love me. A wreath hangs on a tiny elm tree across the road because I didn't need it, but the red flowers were pretty :o) I ask for pots from people because I divide plants and make a free pile across the road. People drive by all summer, seeing what I've set out. I know I love a free plant. You've made progress!! I put up both pictures side by side and it shows!

2gmk, it's a good thing your plants were sheltered. Boy, that would have shredded them. My astilbes are just coming up and my white bleeding hearts are tiny tears right now. I have the large pink and white one's too. You will have some nice color once it warms up! I'm looking forward to my astilbe this year. I haven't had most of them very long and toted water to them last year to make sure they had enough.

I just hung a load of clothes out and it's cold!! We're having another small pot of coffee instead of playing outside.

I mowed Tuesday!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.