What's flowering in April

Sydney, Australia

and another. Forgot to take a photo of the white one.

Thumbnail by tropicalsydney
Sydney, Australia

and the last one

Thumbnail by tropicalsydney
West of Brisbane, Australia

Aloe 'Fairy lights'. Was supposed to be pale pink but has turned out white. Quite dull.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Pink and yellow Caesalpinias flowering together. The yellow is near the end of its long flowering period, the pink is in the middle of its much shorter one.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Look at the difference in leaf colour in these Dregea sinensis seeds: from green, to slightly variegated and heavily variegated. I think the flowers will all be the same though--hopefully scented.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Cestrum diurnum has set seeds.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The Buddleja madagascariensis cutting has finally spurted into growth. No flowers yet but it's looking good (fingers crossed).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Finally, the foliage of the Mirabilis jalapa 'Limelight' (four o'clocks). The seeds came from Cananda and germinated really poorly--I have only two seedlings. But the foliage is truly as lovely as it looks--light green with decorative splotches. Flowers will be the icing on the cake--my main concern now is to get this small seedling thru its first winter. After that, it should be OK.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Look at these two asparagus spears from my crowns, bought when 2yo and planted last June. Crisp, sweet and juicy--nothing like the supermarket-bought asparagus.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I forgot this pic of the seedpods on my largest Michelia champaca. A friend planted some of these seeds in March and said they germinated in about a fortnight. (Unlike some seeds freshly picked seeds I planted from my Michelia figo, which took *months* before they started to germinate.) Interestingly, the small birds--I think they're finches, not wrens--are pecking away at them. The seeds are too big for them to swallow whole, and the seed inside the membrane is hard and black, so I'm guessing that they're pecking at the yellowish membrane. Anyway, it's lovely to have the small birds in the garden instead of the aggressive larger ones that drive them away (and that killed a nest of mistletoe birds in my garden last year).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

this is the 'odd' orchid.can someone name it for me?is it a cattleya?

Thumbnail by g_whizz
Brisbane, Australia

Just a quick post of an orchid that's out in flower. It came from my Aunt, on a lump of wood, & so I don't know it's name.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Brisbane, Australia

Ohh & here's a pretty brom (Billbergia pyramidalis)!

Thumbnail by LeisaD
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Quote from g_whizz :
this is the 'odd' orchid.can someone name it for me?is it a cattleya?

Anthony, the plant to the left looks to me to be Dendrobium speciosum.

http://asgap.org.au/d-spe.html

Clifton Springs, Australia

Yes Anthony...Wayne is correct, it is a D.speciosum..Steve and I had a discussion on them a few threads ago, we both have the same problem, can't get it to flower...A friend of mine grows his in a shadehouse during the summer, then he puts it outside, flowers every year.
I have had mine for years and years, never a flower.....good luck with it.

Pretty photos everyone.

Sad about your birds cestrum....such a shame when the babies don't get a chance to mature.
I grew a plot of Asparagus years ago, it didn't get to any great size because I couldn't leave the new shoots to mature as you should.
Them and Sugar peas. yum.

Jean, don't look at Leisa's beautiful Billbergia. your tongue will hang out. lol

Here is Protea " Little prince".
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Pale Pink Antigonon

Thumbnail by brical1

Canna

Thumbnail by brical1

Mandevilla Pink Parfait

Thumbnail by brical1

Bougainvillea

Thumbnail by brical1

Orange Tecoma

Thumbnail by brical1

Rosa Mrs Dudley Cross

Thumbnail by brical1

Frangipani

Thumbnail by brical1

Another seedling Oleander

Thumbnail by brical1

And again

Thumbnail by brical1

thanks for that people,unfortunately,hes been put in a cymbidium mix,.,..such is life.,.one of those days today,when i need 3 of me.

Sydney, Australia

Judy, Autumn seems to be a really good time for your garden, especially the pinks.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Anthony, that's ok....it will live in that sort of mix....they like rough bits of bark and such if they are not growing on rocks or in a tree.
You won't kill him with an axe...he's one tough son of a gun...

Judy , that pink Frangi is lovely....

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 9:05 PM

great,the setting up the back looks great,so far,5 repotted out of the dozen,in 18'' pots,sitting on big flat sandstone rocks,up against a wall,morning sun and very little heat loss[[how has my book taught me so far]]?,..something different,i scored a ''white henryii'' today,called''louise'',im lucky,this is a rare plant[[[[this ones going straight to the poolroom]]].,.,enjoy the,''whats left of the sunday night'',anthony

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wow, there is alot of things flowering in the April gardens! Very nice pics everyone.
I have Billbergia pyramidalis in flower also, its under the Frangipani which keeps it shaded through summer and autumn, but lets the plants have some sun in winter,

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I also have some African Violets inside, taken from cuttings. This one is a very reliable flowerer

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

This one was a cutting off my Mums, and its the first time it has flowered. I really like it!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Christchurch, New Zealand

nice flowers everybody, I never liked oleanders because of the whole 'deadly dangerous killer plant' thing.
But now I am thinking they are really pretty & what's a little toxicity when you look that nice?
And I have been noticing a few along the route my bus to work takes.
So they will happily grow in ChCh.
One day I should walk along with my camera & take a few pics to share.

For those who are on dial up we have now moved to here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1089393/

This message was edited Apr 20, 2010 3:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.