Iris Section Expansion Plans

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Last fall I started adding a section of tall bearded iris to the very end of a gardenbed containing mostly roses. I just took the iris with a big shovel full of soil and moved them from another area.

I used to have some yuckky shrubs along in here and dug them out last fall and wanted to do an iris section. You can see the roses along to the left. The garden is on a slope going upwards from the street.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

More closeup of the area. I want to remove and relocate that catmint, or maybe just move it over. Those daylilies along there will go. I need to make more little terraces going up with the belgian blocks the way I have with the TB Iris already there.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Closeup of the iris area.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

I am kinda stuck. I want to have the iris going up instead of the daylilies I have there. I like daylilies but have many in other areas of my garden and just don't need those.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

your roses are beautiful. I gave up on them :)
the mint I have is VERY invasive, I ended up putting a piece along the corner of my house between the patio and the chat drive. So it can't grow anywhere but there!

Catmint, Walkers Low. Not really a mint and not invasive at all. Actually more related to Catnip, I think.

I love roses and have over 230 of them.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

oh my lands. how on earth do you prune all those? I had one rose and finally tossed it out, always had black spot, and hated the thorns every spring when I tried to get the leaves out from around it.
roses are pretty though, I love the fragrance...

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am a novice but I think your bed is to small, soil looks bad, and too much shade. Looks like they are buried to deep. Just my opinion.

The soil there is actually pretty good, comes from putting all that compost on the roses. There is some small amount of shade there at certain times of the day but it really is pretty sunny.

I don't think you can see the iris rhizomes very clearly in the picture there. They are all exposted to the sunlight. As for the bed size, might be too small. Not sure about that. Just means I will have to thin more often.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.