Do YOU remember my BUBBLER Method of Propagating Clematis???

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Well..check out this video to make your own...I'm gonna order me some of those inserts from STG and try theirs..really kewl!!!...Jeanne
http://simplyclems.com/cloning.htm

Athens, PA

Jeanne

that is so neat!

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

That is very interesting. What do you use instead of those "inserts" that they are selling? I'll bet you have some easy to find substitute that you use, don't you?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought some foam pipe wrap and shall see how that works..and black paint to paint my tub w/lid I bought at Big Lots yesterday..and the drill thingy to make the holes..Hope to work on it tomorrow will share pics when done...wish me luck...Jeanne

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Luck! I love these instructions, too, and will try to make one of these later in the year . . .

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I would be interested in making one of these for cuttings, however I cant see spending the money for those inserts.. I wonder if theres something a little more cost effective that can be used.. Do they serve a purpose or just to hold the cutting??
jen

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Someone posted a while back that they used the little foam hair curlers. I haven't tried them, though.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Ah, brilliant. What do you use in yours, Lynn? Have you tried Clematis?

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I use the neoprene collars from the hydroponic store.
I haven't tried clematis, yet. I want to try it, though. I have a bunch coming from SilverStar Vinery.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine are due from Simply Clems here pretty soon, too.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I think I will have to take a look at Simply Clems site tonight. Is she having a sale? Was there a coop that I missed out on - gasp!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hee hee. No - no sale and no co-op. But Evey is very helpful and has some pretty ones. I have been looking at people's pictures.

ROFL. You're pretty funny.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Katie..so are mine..got an email TODAY!! that my clems are on their way from Evey!!..Yipppeeeeeeeeee..I just bought two roses called "Cinco de Mayo" that I am going to plant in front of the clematis I am getting from Simplyclems!!..Jeanne

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 7:43 AM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Jean - congrats. I'm guessing that I'll have an email when I get home, too. I love spring! Now just wish it would warm up for us.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I finally got my hydrophonic cloning system MADE~~and it's already working with two cuttings from Clematis "Cassis"...I bought the plastic tub from Big Lots for 4 bucks..Got the foam pipe wrap at Lowes along with my Vaspar Black Plastic Spray Paint

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

and don't forget the little thingys so you can cut holes in the top!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Layout the bottom of the tub on something to spray paint it black..the reasoning if you watched the video is that it will stop sunlight getting to the water and roots which causes algae

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't forget to also Spray black the tubing that goes from your Aquarium Air Pump

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Cut your holes in your Lid and don't forget a small one for the tube from your air pump to go inside to the water

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine has 16 holes !!..Then you must cut the foam pipe wrap with scissors about 1 inch long( I cut me out 24..and then cut the extra 8 in half to fit inside the 16 so the plant cuttings will be secure

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

the you can put the half one inside the whole one and wrap tightly around your cutting and put in the hole

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Once finished you can place them in the holes raise lid..fill with water..put your pump tubing through the hole and turn your pump on and you are ready for action!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought some all purpose labels with those sticky backs and cut to desired width..wrote the name of the cutting and placed in front of my hole..and now I have two cuttings of "Cassis"..time for me to hard prune my threes soon as some have finished their flush..remember to take a cutting that is from the middle section..not the older vine and not the new...cut long enough to reach the water and remove all leaves except one pair..hope you have success...Will let you know how mine are doing and look forward to hearing from yall...Jeanne
ps..sowwy this pic isn't real clear but ya get the idea..have fun

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Several people over at Gardenweb.com have made their own cloners, basically using the same idea here. Token is one of those people and he used black foam hair curlers from the $ store. Jeanne, I would think and you may have emphasized that black spray paint has to be for plastics, right? I think it would be neat to do this project. When you get roots, I assume you pot it up in a nursery pot till it's time to put outside and plant? What type of plants woud you consider cloning? I know you are interested in clematis primarily. Token's blogsite is www.seventhstreetcottage.com..He does a lot of cuttings using his cloner and as I said, many others on that site have built their own. Can't think of names right now but if you go on gardenweb.com and type in cloners, I'll sure you'll come up with some others who have built their own. Besides Wintersowing, this is surely a great way to wile away those long winter months.

Jeanne, one thing that the guys didn't mention was about Clonex. I think Token said he didn't use anything but water. I've never read that he used Clonex, but read where somebody used it. Any thoughts on using this product? What's the purpose of it?

Lilburn, GA

Jeanne, did your clematis cuttings root OK?

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

I would really like to try this, anyone have a few named varieties of clematis cuttings to trade?
Please take a look at my trade lists, thanks, Cristy

Lothair, MT(Zone 4a)

Jeannnnne! How did your cuttings do? Any successes to share? I love the idea of the project but if it is a bust, I will save my time for a different project!

Lilburn, GA

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/617812/

worth reading......

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

UPDATE:..I now have some roots forming on my clematis "Cassis" and have roots on both my "Vitex" cuttings...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

While hard cuttings seem to root faster..the "Vitex" cuttings I took for grins were those little green shoots from the soil ...I thought oh no they won't make it as they bent over after a few days but then in about a week they stood straight up and POOF..here are the "Vitex" roots growing like mad...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

How far do you put the cutting into the water??

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

About an 1/8 inch below the water line..I noticed that Evie's Video isn't working so here is Sure to Grow's video on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yy5kJwdMv8&feature=related
If you are a member of You Tube subscribe to Sure to grow on You Tube and see all their videos..Jeanne
http://www.youtube.com/user/SureToGrowers

Athens, PA

Jeanne -

how did this work for you? What type of results did you get - did everything root? I want to do this myself.

Carolyn

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Everything rooted BUT my clematis..Only one clematis rooted...the Vitex and everything else went gangbusters..it's a great system for cuttings but didn't have great results on my clematis...Jeanne

Athens, PA

Jeanne

I appreciate your letting me know. I guess I am relegated to serpentine layering to increase my clematis.

Thank you.
Carolyn

Jeanne, what have you rooted in your home made bubbler? Friend of mine came over for lunch about a month ago and bought a beautiful bouquet of salmon colored azaleas and I saw her at church yesterday and she said she took a cutting for me and is trying to root it. I immediately thought of your homemade bubbler and I was going to tell her about it. I know Token from GW and several others made their own also. I was going to email her today and suggest she look on this forum for your bubbler information. She has been sharing her tall garden phlox with me for last 2 yrs.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have rooted Vitex, Roses, any hard woods do great

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.