Can't ID this plant

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have posted this plant on the Plant & Tree Identification site for a week or so and we're not having any luck. I have 3 clumps of these in different areas. It's not catnip, catmint, or several other suggestions if you would like to look on that thread for the many suggestions. The mound is tight and no scent at all. Very detailed leaf.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

another picture

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

another

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is another

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Good idea to come here. I can't wait to see what is thought here.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I thought someone may have this growing and could helpful vs. the ID thread. Something grows out of this clump since there were sticks dried and readily broken off.

Someone suggested (on the ID thread) Stachys macrantha - does anyone have this plant ?

This message was edited Apr 1, 2010 9:07 AM

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

This looks exactly like my lemon balm. The essential oil content of the leaves varies throughout the season -- I just ran out and checked mine, and right now the scent is *extremely* faint and the leaves have no lemony taste at all.

But so many plants in the mint family look similar this early in the season... I think you'll need to wait a bit longer to be certain of the ID.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Does your lemon balm look like this on the back side of the leaf?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That was my first thought. But you should know for sure if you squish the leaves. They smell strongly of lemon . .

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It will grow up taller. It forms a dense clump that spreads and then will seed readily around the garden, as well.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lemon%20balm&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I've had lemon balm about 2 years ago and dug it up for my neighbor because I personally don't like the smell. She loves it so I'll go check her patch. It makes a lovely tall green plant but the smell doesn't sit well for me. There is no scent at this early stage so I'm hoping it's something else since I have 3 patches!

Thanks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Pic of underside of my lemon balm leaf. At this stage my lemon balm is growing tight to the ground unlike my catnip which is already stretching up some individual stems.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I checked my neighbors lemon balm and they are not close at all.

Hallowell, ME

Why don't you pot it up and see how it matures? Peace

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Well it's lemon balm - slowly growing compared to mine vs neighbors but -that what it is.........

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay. I feel better. Every time I look at mine, I wonder what yours is. Maybe divide it up and take it to a plant swap?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Lemon balm was way too aggressive in my yard. Spent hours pulling it.
The smell gets to you after a few hours of close exposure...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.