Lilies 2010

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great going there Donna. Congrats Voss on your first blooms!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh...so good to see a lily bloom! I lucked out with the bunnies this year too. not so much as a nibble! Last year they really ate good here. My Eyeliner looks weird but I fed it and to be sure sprayed with fungicide too. Am keeping a close eye on it. Need to get some Epsom Salt.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Lots of lilies growing nicely in my terraced garden in the backyard. They are there on the third level. Mostly daylilies on level one and two. Lots of lilies with some hummingbird mints on three. The hummingbird mint is just starting growing and is in front of the lilies. It looks great later in the year. Then mostly daylilies up on top level with afew lilies thrown in.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice terrace garden.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

here is Lollipop, which I bought at last year's B&B sale. I potted it and it bloomed. In late fall I transplanted inground and it has recently started blooming.

Thumbnail by vossner

Here is Matrix. If you like blinding colors, this is the one for you. My blooms are only about 6" from the ground, is it stunted or is just a shortie? It is a hot fuschia with an orange center, gaud extraordinaire.

Thumbnail by vossner
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Matrix is short.
Lollipop cant be killed.

I got white stargazer last year and I see zero growth in the area where I planted. Is it too early? I have so many others in all stages of growth....so I'm wondering.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Voss, thank goodness I just made my appointment to get my eyes checked. I think I've been semiblinded by your Matrix!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is an update of my lilies. As you can see they are all if not most budded already and I need some weeding to get done this weekend. I get weeds really fast here :(

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is another view

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

And the last shot. The next pictures will be of them already open.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your plants are HUGE. The only ones approaching half that size for me are orienpets. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is looking forward to seeing them in bloom.

Donna

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree they will look great soon.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

No no vossner, Matrix is not gaudy! It's gau - jus!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

My lilies are growing fast too here at the Jersey shore.
Invasion got buds on them already.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Stargazers are getting taller.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Congrats Tex, Roly - your lily stalks look great!

Here is Serrada, a good overall yellow in my garden.

Thumbnail by vossner
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

So bright and cheerful. What a pretty vossner!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful, Voss!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

That's a beautiful yellow. I need to get more lilies.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a friend who bought 9 varieties of lilies this year (hundreds of them, to pot-up and sell for Mother's Day). Of these, 3 were Asiatics, and the remainder were Orientals, plus one Hybrid. The Asiatics are doing great...and some of them have 8+ flower buds per stalk...although they didn't bloom in time for Mother's Day.

Question: If I JUST got around to potting-up the Orientals, will they still bloom this year? I guess I'm concerned about how HOT it gets here.

These bulbs look like they were farm-grown, and dug-up just before shipping them to us. I left them in their shipping bags for several weeks -- overwhelmed with WAY too many projects at once -- and I'm just hoping they'll still perform this year, despite the late planting.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You know they won't bloom in their shipping bags so it's certainly worth the time and effort to plant them in pots. If they don't bloom this year they should bloom next year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Voss, your Lolipops is a week or so ahead of mine. Here is my very first Lily Bloom for the year: Last year their blooms were abundant. I'm looking for the same splendid reward this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

BegoniaGuy, don't expect too much for this year. If they've started growin, they're probably healthy and will grow, but probably won't give you much in the order of a bloom (maybe 1 or 2 small). However, next year after a year inground, they will sprout and bloom at their appointed times. Have faith.

I have found that if you disturb them during this growth cycle, even to transplant crowded plants quickly, they will not perform as expected. Always try to wait until after the blooming period to mess with them.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the insight, Everybody! I'm really looking forward to these. Some of the varieties are really pretty, from pictures I've seen...especially "Rosella's Dream."

Oddly enough, my friend paid for these bulbs way back in winter, but the vendor wouldn't ship them until very recently...so we're 'behind the eight ball.' The good thing is that the bulbs were fairly mature already. And, we're each keeping a bunch of these for ourselves...for mass plantings in our OWN yards...so even if they don't sell, we're happy campers. Money spent on your garden is money well-spent!

I'll post pictures as these bloom...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lilies here are just putting up bud tops.I love the asiatics when they look like palm trees.
I planted many bulbs in mid April .Havnt seen some of them yet.
I am assured by a DG'er that they will come,just hanging in there hopeing

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Those I planted in mid April (in pots) have emerged. Some I planted earlier in April (in the garden) have not.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am still hoping to see them,Rainesse,Angela North,Montenegro,to name a few.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

You Texans are lookin good.
I got my 1st lily bloom yesterday. A short yellow (perhaps from the Pixie series).

Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

jmorth! what are the rebar and rope for?
I love the pixies.Just put many bulbs in.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Ge, I know those palm tops. They look like they need a haircut because they are sort of born with all their leaves intact and have to grow into them. Sometimes we're waiting to see coconuts!

I'm guessing your lilies are not getting as much sun as they usually do, so they're a bit late.

I tried to figure out where Pittsford is, but I only found your community has a lovely website. I'm assuming you're a few hundred miles from the east coast. In any case, I'm sure you're going to have great lilies!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More of Lolipops, popped! There are roughly half a dozen of this soft pink liliums blooming. Others shouldn't be too far behind. Yike!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

ge, re-bar and rope are part of an enclosure-support system for the the larger set of lilies adjacent to the pixies.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Well the first ones have started to open and I'm very happy with them. These are a very pretty salmon/peachy color

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

What makes me happy the most is that most places say that lilies are hardy to zone 9 or above and here I am in zone 10b with my lilies blooming 1st and second year budded too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cathy !Pittsford is a suburb of Rochester up by Lake Ontario.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Roly0217, that is a drop dead gorgeous lily!!!

Brunello

Thumbnail by vossner

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.