Lilies 2010

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Mine are starting to come out and play. Any lilies peeking out in your garden?

Thumbnail by vossner
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Voss - those look serious! Mine are not even a vision yet. Keep us posted.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice to see. Same here Donna, we've still got snow in places. But almost gone.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I only have little nubby noses popping up, and those are the ones closest to the house.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

We just received another 18+ inches of snow in the past 24 hours
and its still coming.

My daff + tulips were just popping out of the ground too.
Have to wait a few more weeks to see them again. LOL
Its great to see how everyones are blooming.
Keep the photos coming!

Babette

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have orienpets starting to poke through. However, without experience, we put in fritillaria last fall, and they are all at least 12 inches high with lots of leaves, both in the ground and in containers. I have the sneaky suspicion that they have at least another 2 feet of growing, but without appriopriate experience, we may be in for a surprise.

The frits have a very thick stem.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Polly - SNOW!!!? It's 70 degrees here today. We ae at the point where crocuses have been in bloom for a couple of weeks, iris reticulata for closer to a month, the lilacs are leafing out and the roses are breaking dormancy.

But no lilies yet.

Snow in a zone warmer than mine. Now that's just wrong.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That is just wrong, Donna, I agree. We live in the snow belt, though, and we average over 200 inches of snow a year, but it's mostly now in shady spots, and where we snowblowed or plowed. It'll be gone soon.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have a few peeking...Triumphator (up several inches), American Debutante, Eye Liner, Red Alert that I can recall right off the top of my head.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I put in Red Alert last fall. Thanks! I can watch for it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Grafitties are just red bimps. They may be planted closer to the surface than all the other lilies.
I saw 1 red lily beetle and sprayed where lilies are planted again.
Our summer weather for the next couple of days might bring others to the surface. The newbies in pots in the garage duering the winter are up an inch.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a lot of lilies beginning to poke through the ground. Time to get some plantskydd on them...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What is Plantskydd?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The best critter repellant on the market ~ plantskydd.com

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hmmmmm
Could I be lured away from Liquid Fence and Repellsall?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't have to contend with deer so I use a prep with thiram in it instead, but I understand that plantskydd really rocks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Many of the Asiatic lilies are up and the potted ones have begun emerging. It's such a great time of year and with 70 degrees predicted for this entire weekend it's beyond wonderful.

On my way to pot up another two deliveries of lilies now.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

ge ~ use Plantskydd in place of Liquid Fence. It doesn't have to be reapplied after rain.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll check it out on Google.I keep hopeing to find something for my daughter. Her new house is at the edge of the woods and neighbors arent very encouraging about a garden. She really does have a herd of deer that come up to her bird feeder in the winter and peek into her den.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They actually peek into her den? Is that just a little too up close and personal?

Moby, that's neat about not reapplying after rain. Do you have to reapply after a certain amount of growth? Sounds very economical by use.

Donna

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Those look great, Nery - mine are at about the same stage yours are!

^_^

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The lilies are officially poking through! Both in containers and in the garden, they are about an inch high or more. It is so encouraging that I can wait to get the new arrivals planted.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Triumphator is up here afew inches. Red Alert is even taller, that one must be on some other time zone. None of my trumpets or orientals are up yet. Some Asiatics are just peeking thru.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Silk Road and Anastasia have popped up. Looks like they are going to be huge!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I love when they start breaking through the soil! My Orientals, Trumpets, etc. are still in hiding but most of the Asiatics are up about an inch. Netty's Pride was the first of the new ones to break ground. It's such a wonderful time of year.

It seems that my first one to peek out has always been Dazzle, with Triumphator as a close 2nd.

I am so glad to have discovered lilies. In my garden, they seem to perform so much better than daylilies. Well, hardy ones do well but it's really not worth my time or money getting extravagant w/ DLs as I invariably lose 1/2 of what I plant each yr.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here are mines coming up. I've got some lily trees and them some border types so I'll have 2 different heights with the lily trees reaching 6 feet or more in a couple of years.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Nanny, Red Alert appeared here. It's my first year bloom so it's really exciting. Thank you again for the head's up!

Donna

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It is officially spring in the garden. Not only are the lilies really taking off, but I decided I would spray to keep the deer from the tulips and lilies. And DRAT!!! That red lily beetle had already made dinner of my fritillaria. The spray is made of essential oils and smells of clove, so it wasn't a minute too soon.

My husband and I get so excited when they start to sprout. It means we lived through another winter. (And so did the red lily grubs.)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nothing in term of Lilies are blooming yet down South. But anyone wanna see a new 'kid in town' as far as Asiatic lilium? Its name is "Love Story" from Lowes down here.

got one! got one! however, the tag is buried or lost so I don't know what it is. Beautiful coral color, blooming for the 2nd year.

Thumbnail by vossner

Some triumphators that I got last fall (I think). Are they virused? If yes, PLMK as I need to yank them b4 they infect my other Ts, which have nice, green foliageand are planted nearby. argh!

Thumbnail by vossner
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful sight, Voss!

I think this is a lilium too, munched up by some critter.

Thumbnail by vossner
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, gosh, Voss, we crossposted! I certainly did not mean to say that your (possibly) virused lilies were something neat. What about yanking them and putting them in a pot to see if it is indeed a virus?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Now that's just rude. Happily, there seem to be lots of other buds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You're so funny Donna!

Voss ~ your lilies are fine, they just need some epsom salts or a little fertilizer to green up.

Virus has irregular mottling. When you see lighter areas between the veins, then they just need a little boost. Here's one of mine ~

Thumbnail by Moby

whew! that's good to know. I will give it a lil' food.

donna, I knew what you meant.

The White Triumphators that I got from the Sunshine Bulb Co as pretty close to putting on a show. I just can't wait.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, I kept the rabbits off The Vamp bulbs. I put miniature daffs around them. Let's see what we get. I have no rabbit damage ANYWHERE! I'm expecting a bumper crop of everything.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.