Best lilies for patio pots?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, I always plant mine in the ground so I am wanting to ask this question for a person that has limited space. What are some varieites that do well in pots. I quess it should be a shorter type. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Teresa in KY

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The Lily Nook has Pot and Border lilies that dont reach over 20 inches.
Google "Lilies for planters" and see what comes up. If there is a grower in the US its best to order from them as Th Lily Nook charges for shipping from Cananda

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I plant in ground and also prepare some window boxes. Zantedeschias (calla lilies) do well in boxes, and the bloom lasts a few weeks. I've also put in Tom Pouce and Stargazer lilies. The window boxes from Walmart were approximately 20 inches long, 8 inches wide at the top and probably about 8 inches deep. They have a bottom tray that tends to hold water, but it can be pried off so that the plants have better drainage. Otherwise they need to be tipped to pour out the extra water.

They did not get too high, and they were well weighted down. I recall that Walmart had smaller (shorter) window boxes as well. All under $10 each.

I also planted anemone de caen in a window box, and it did very well. After soaking the bulbs/corms overnight, they did well in the window box and even rebloomed late in the season.

I think that among the best plants for small spaces are Heuchera (coral bells). I know that this is a lilies forum, but if you're confined to a small space, you might want plants that last longer that a few short weeks in bloom. Many do not need full sun, and there are some beautiful varieties. They can mix and match. They can also be brought indoors for winter although some winter very well in zone 6.

I'm including a photo of a container of caladiums. You do not need as large a container or as many bulbs, and they do not need sun. However, they are not hardy in zone 6, so they need to come indoors for the winter.

If you friend wants lilies, they're going to need sun.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Another good source for miniature (height-wise) lilies is Hallson Gardens. They're USA and carry a nice selection of colors in their "Tiny" lily series.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes I have Tiny Nanna, and Tiny Yellow Kiss

Thumbnail by ge1836
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I forgot to mention that trout lilies are very small, probably no taller than 8 inches.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Trout lilies in a woodland setting, they are an early spring flower here.
Never thought to put them in pots for an all summer display.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Here, too, but they were a delightful surprise when I found them in the shade garden. What I could not tell from bluegrassmom is if the containers are destined for indoors or outdoors. Some of my outdoor plants are fine inside. Much as I love orientals, I cannot have fragrant lilies inside and breathe at the same time.

We have lots of large containers on our deck, and lilies do very well. Last year's lilies are already poking up. I'm still learning what I can plant paired with other bulbs. Crocus and tulips do not do well together because they come up at the same time, and the tulips overshadow the crocus growth.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like asiatics in planters. I used Lollipop years ago then dug the bulbs out and planted them in my new gardens.
I am planting Petit Bridgit and Tiny Snow flake in containters. I will plant annuals and coleus in with them so when the lilies finish blooming there will be color to the end of summer.
OOOPS wrong pic

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

try this

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Really nice, Jo Ann.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, I just put in an order with FARAWAY FLOWERS. I didn't get the small ones this time.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I expect the Tiny lilies to come within the next 2 weeks

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Teresa - My Faraway Flowers arrived Saturday. The bulbs are so fresh and so are the roots! Which ones did you order?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've been potting up lilies for a few years--don't necessarily stick to the short ones. Most of mine are asiatic and oriental. The asiatics seem to do better, will multiply, some eventually peter out and I get to go shopping again:lol:

Really depending on the size container you want to use you could plant any asiatic or orientals. I had a larger pot (about 1 1/2 ft tall, the top was about the size of a 20" kids bike wheel--I am bad at measurements:lol:) and had about 20 orange asiatics in it. They were OK the first and second year but the third year they went crazy w/ stalks and blooms. Their height was about 1 1/2 ft tall.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

when they get crowded there is no place to go but up.
It must have been quite a sight

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous until my bad neighbors snapped off all the flowers and buds--just pure mean people:lol: Thankfully they were very short time renters:lol:

When I lifted to divide I had plenty to share that's for sure:)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pity them. They must live horrible lives.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Absolutely...counted to 10 and decided not to give them the satisfaction of seeing me upset--easier to do knowing the lilies would return and more than likely they would have moved on...which is exactly what happened. Felt sad for the kids because I think it was the mom and her friend who actually did it. I do think you're right though.

Clarksville, MD

Ge1836, the asiatic lollipop lily is my favorite.
I have them planted in several places. They just seem happy.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

I think they are very well named.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine are planted in several places too because they multiply like rabbits.

Clarksville, MD

Yes, they do :) :)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Well that is a good thing! I ordered a few of those ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.