The most beautiful flower I have ever seen!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yesterday I was at a lady's house who is 80 something years old. She had a casablanca lily that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Plus, it is so fragrant, that I smelled it before I saw it! I need to get some of those. Does anyone know where the cheapest place to order them is? Also, is now the time to get them and plant them, or should I wait until spring? Thanks for any info you can offer. I can still smell the spicy smell of that gorgeous plant.
Joan

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Joan, I know that it is an Oriental Lily, and has been around awhile. Your local store may have some left,as they make room for the daffy's etc. I would just plant them now. I am moving around my summer bulbs at this time.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thank you Marcia! I'll check with my local plant source, which is Walmart unfortunately, so I doubt they have any. If they don't have any I'm gonna start inquiring at some online places to see if I can still get some. If not, I'll just wait until spring, and it will be the first thing on my order form. LOL I get the impression that I can plant them either fall or spring, so I might try both. I've not grown any oriental lilies before, and I will start with this one. Such a beauty!
Joan

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Joan - I fyou don't have any luck with Wal-Mart... Gilbert and Wild has them - 3 for $6.00. http://www.gilberthwild.com/list_products.asp?catId=1004

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Burpee also has them but they are much more expensive than Gibert and Wild and they come in a collection of 4 different Lilies for $19.95

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

You can order them from many mail order companies. One is White Flower Farm. They also have a magazine they publish for $20. and you get a $20. credit with it. Not a bad deal.
By the way, I have no connection to WFF.
Ree

White Flower Farm http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/item.asp?p=1373

& don't be surprised if you DO find Casa Blanca at WalMart: they are very readiliy available at Lowes & Home Depot & KMart because of their popularity. They reproduce underground like asiatic lilies do, too, although not as rapidly. I have many kinds of oriental lilies & all smell heavenly. Grab some StarGazers too if you see them. Plant them nice & deep if you're in the north, topdressing with bone meal & compost & you'll have them for years & years. Plan on buying the longest single-stem lily stakes that you can find (1 for @ bulb planted) as these get 4 or 5 feet tall within 3 yaers & are VERY topheavy when in bloom & need staking. Ohhh,..nbut that heavenly smell!! :)

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh I agree lindap. The fragrance is heavenly!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.