Pinching clems when?

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

I know it's early yet, but I had to ask. I never really understood the pinching part well. Do you pinch after flowering? Or spring when new growth begins? All season? I don't want to lose any possible flowering to pinching all my buds off.
Thanks from a newbie clem lover.
BTW, I have Earnest Markham, Dr Ruppel, Beauty of Worcester, Henryi, all of these are 2 nd year now
And I have Crystal Fountain, Josephine, and Franziska Marie, all 3 rd year.
Also, I have Sweet Autumn Clem just planted last summer, do you pinch that too?

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

kentstar, you have d-mail :)

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Thankyou venu, great pruning techiniques! However, I was talking about "pinching" not pruning. I will keep the useful into though lol! :)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Kent..I am assuming these are newly planted clematis??..Pinching is reserved mainly for the first two years of a clematis beginning life..It is done to help the plant get a stronger root system and less to focus on blooming ( altho I am a reluctant pincher at first I allow myself to enjoy the first blooms before pinching)..especially for the pruning group 2's to aid in not getting wilt as well..It's best to wait at least one month before pinching...look for two good buds about 12 inches from the ground and pinch out the stem above those buds..then after these new shoots grow about 12 inches and you see new buds..Pinch above those buds..if you continue these steps you will eventally achieve a well branched clematis plant..You do not have to worry about Pinching SAC they are hard pruned each and every early Spring and bloom on the new vines grown during the season for their beautiful flush in Late Summer/early Fall..hope this helped...Jeanne

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Only Dr Ruppel, Earnest Markham, and Henryi are newly planted last year. The others are all 3rd year clems.
Thankyou for the info. So, it will probably work out better to pinch after the initial bloom time.

kentstar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.