Mold Allergies and the Garden

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

I have discovered I am allergic to some common molds. I'm sure I encounter them in at least some areas of my yard. How should one eliminate/control molds that live on plants or lawns without killing everything in sight?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you have symptoms all the time, or just after you've been out gardening? Mold spores are everywhere so if you have symptoms certain times of year even if you haven't been out gardening then there's really not much you can do except manage the allergies with medication. Even if you laid concrete over your entire yard and eliminated every living thing, there are plenty of mold spores everywhere else around you that you can't do anything about. But if the symptoms only show up (or are a lot worse) after you've been gardening, then the drier you can keep things in the garden the less problems you'll have (moisture creates good conditions for mold). So consider growing plants that don't need a lot of supplemental water, mulching with rocks instead of wood/bark mulch, etc. Also making sure you have adequate space between plants for air circulation will help keep mold under control too.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

So, only about a year later. :-) Thanks for the info. I'm afraid they are sort of year round but especially after I have been working aroud grassy plants or grassy weeds.

Sigh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.