AzomeL;
Chueatta

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 11:22 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Let the games begin....

This is not a coleus>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I received mine today. Everything looked great. I did get one mislabel. It's labeled Marie, which I ordered but received Katie. Katie is a very nice coleus but I have it. Truthfully, I think I have Marie too. I just didn't notice it survived when I ordered.
My bonus is called 'Russet'

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rosy Dawn sent me my Marie with no problem. They even included another bonus -Red Strap.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I don't know what went wrong with mine, last year they grew and grew all of them.
This year I had 5 die with in 3 days. Weird thing.
I wish I had ordered more and may do so soon. I love coleus and they are not easy to find in stores around here.

Lavina

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

So far, all mine are doing well but I still have them in that little plastic ball they came in. Last year, I lost a few and some just lingered. This year, I intend to keep the roots in small plastic pots in watering trays until the really root. I just bought some watering crystals to add to the soil.

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

My RD order arrived on Monday. I have them in peat pots for now.
I ordered 44 plants... 10 for me, 14 for Mom (this is her annual Mother's Day gift).
They sent SEVEN bonus plants!! WOW!!!
One of the bonus ones I couldn't find on the RD 2010 list. (I copied the entire catalogue back in Jan)
If anyone has info on "INDIAN SUMMER", I'd appreciate it.

I'll post a pic of my "haul" later.

Nancy

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I just found Indian Summer in the Plant Files. :o)
It appears to be one for part shade.
Now I know where to place it.

Now for the other 30+..... LOL!

Nancy

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's PART of my order - 5 days after I received them.
As usual, RD came through with beautiful plants!

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's the rest of the order.
The 7 bonus plants are on the left.
I'm a happy camper!

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats what I like about them
Did they send potted plants?

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I potted them in peat pots until I can get then into their new homes.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Looking good. Hope they all survive, I seem to have a brown thumb this year.

Lavina

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

DD and I have planted our containers for the deck this summer. Give my coleus containers a few weeks and Mine will look better,
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/DeckGardenPlanters

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

RD order came.They gave me a bonus plant I cant find in their catalogue.
I remember someone else posting the same bonus a week ago.
Anyone know how tall and suntolerant Heart is?Its beautiful,pink red and green

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Pots look great, I have had 5 to die. Never had coleus to die before.
I musta done something or got bad dirt.
I want to make another order but am gonna wait a week or so.
Its so dry here but rains all around us.
Lavina

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found an ant colony in one of my pots.I think they came from compost I bought this spring.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

ge1836 The ants around me seem to prefer stacked pots for their colonies and use them like a multi-level condo complex! Rather there than in my potting soil as they do bite when disturbed. Great interview on NPR a couple weeks ago with an ant expert on his new book called, I think "Watching Ants". Fascinating creatures whose role is little understood.

Have you looked up Heart coleus on Coleusfinder? If my memory serves me, it is a smaller one and good in morning sun. Pretty plant that grows wide rather than tall. Pic please.

Lavinamae-Sorry to hear about demise of five. Ouch. The weather here (cold, hot, cloudy, humid, repeat) certainly has not favored my coleus. At least since they are all in pots and trays I can move them around outside and give them as much space for air circulation as possible and be ever so careful about watering. Hope the whole season isn"t like this!

Judy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I did find a better description of it.You are right it isnt tall and tollerstes sun but likes part shade. I will have to move the pot its in.
I'll send a pic

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is the pic

Thumbnail by ge1836
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for pic of Heart. I grew mine 3 rooted cuttings in a cute little pot , placed where I could enjoy it and it didn't have to "compete" with the bigger, brighter, bolder forms. Heart is like essence of coleus if you know what mean. May even be an old standard, don't remember. I like its form with the shorter inter nodes with some turning and minimal pinching to keep uniform and bushy, you'll have endlessly repeating hearts to cheer the day.
Judy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I really appreciate your input.Thanks.I love the color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.