Daily pics #301

PERTH, Australia

We came from here, where the bird photos just keep on getting better and better. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1083406/

I've had to delve into my old photos for something to start the thread with as I have nothing new. Here's a Little Back Cormorant from the river several months ago.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

White-cheeked Honeyeater.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Brown Honeyeater singing its heart out.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Mercy... time for a new one again? Nice start Margaret...I just love all those Honeyeaters!

I wanted to report that I reported my Oegon Form Junco to the local Audobon Chapter and they confirmed the ID. It is rare for Indiana making up less than 1% of the winter Junco population. But very overreported because people mistake normal variations for a different subspecies.

The glare was awful when I took this photo of the Song Sparrow!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh all those honey eaters are so pretty.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

My but those threads fill up fast!!

tigerlily congrats on your Lewis' woodpecker shots, I would love to get at least one shot of them, they are in our area and I got a glimpse of one at the top of a tall tree when we were camping at Lac Le Jeune last year, by the time I ran to get the camera and got back of course it was gone. I kept an eye out for it but it didn't come back.

ducbucln sorry about your pesky sparrows, so far we have been lucky and every year have had 2 boxes with swallows nesting in them. I keep hoping that one year I will get Mountain Bluebirds in one of them, I have lots of boxes;-)

dellrose been there done that...lol!! really cute Titmouse.

MargaretK very nice Honey-eater pics!

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

This Red-tailed hawk was sitting pretty at the top of a tree very close to the road through Tunkwa Lake Provincial Park and just as I pushed the button he took off!!

Thumbnail by mcash70
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

He landed in a nearby tree!

Thumbnail by mcash70
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

There were about a hundred Juncos and Goldfinches around the feeders and on the ground this afternoon when this Sharp-shinned hawk tried to grab one but it was really windy and he missed:-)

Thumbnail by mcash70
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the honeyeaters! Hawk is a nice catch, mcash70.

I spent the weekend at Fairfield Lake State Park in Fairfield, TX, and came across some great birds. I'll post some pics as I go through them. I didn't get a great pic, but we did see several Osprey. The most wonderful bird experience I had was when I was fishing from the bank just before sunset, there were 5-6 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers feeding in the area. They have to be one of the most magnificent birds that we have in my part of the world! So graceful and beautiful. I took some interesting pics, so I'll post a few. I wish I was more experienced with my camera, but I think that you still appreciate these birds.

Thumbnail by thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

another

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

last one, for now...

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

First off, thanks MargaretK for starting the new thread.

There were some pics from Thread #300 I wanted to mention:

tigerlily - You and your daughter were most fortunate to get a pic of Lewis's Woodpecker - right place at teh right time and with a camera!

pelletory - Quote, "Hack, All nice shots! Love seeing the Pine Warbler!" Thanks, pelle, I like the Pine warblers, too.

sunfarm - My goldfinches' plumage is getting brighter, too. Nice capture.

nanny_56 - Nice pic of the little Carolina Wren. I saw one today, but it was too quick for me.

Lily_love - I think I'm going to try some freeze-dried (I think that's what they're called) meal worms this year. Last year, when I put out live ones, I was only feeding Carolina Wrens. Never did see a BB.

gardenpom - Quote, "Hack, your shots are really nice." Thanks, gp.

ducbucln - Quote, "Hack, great photos of so many pretty birds. Loved the one of Mr and Mrs Cowbird, and your photos of the female H. Finch and Mocker are just beautiful." Thanks for the kind words, duc, I really liked the way Mr and Mrs Cowbird came out, too. AND I liked the way you got the pic of the Oak Titmouse singing.

Okay dellrose and/or nanny_56, - "poof"' - what is that? AND nanny, I liked the two-tone Grackle. AND rose, the Tufted Titmouse shot window and screen sure looked pitiful.

GrannyGrunt - your Red-bellied Woodpecker sure has some nice color. Good pic.

LindaTX8 - Love the Barn Swallows - I've never seen one.

MargaretK - your Singing Honeyeater is a cool looking bird.

Hack

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 12:38 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Tufted Titmouse eating a fly.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

White-breasted Nuthatch

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

And now for thread #301.

MargaretK - I really like the looks of the White-cheeked Honeyeater.

nanny_56 - not a bad pic, I haven't seen a Song Sparrow since last year.

mcash70 - nice shot of the Sharp-shinned Hawk. I'd like to see a hawk again.

thebestmissy - you are so right - those Scissor-tailed Flycatchers are beautiful. AND I also liked your White-breasted Nuthatch.

----------------------
I took some pics today, but its late, I have to get up early tomorrow to start another quarter (teaching in the Health Science Dept - Human Anatomy and Physiology) at Columbus Technical College.

I'll put my new pics on tomorrow after class.

Hack

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

MargaretK... thanks for the new thread. Wow, that last one went fast!
I love your Honeyeater... and that is great detail on the Cormorant shot too.

mcash70... good catch with the Red-tailed Hawk.

the best missy... what a beatiful bird indeed. It must have been difficult to track that Flycatcher! Great job!

I've had some new visitors to our feeders too!

Here's a male House Finch...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Here's the female Yellow-rumped Warbler...
Eerrr... the Myrtle Warbler

And here is the male...
They like to start the approach to the feeders by sitting on the gutter and watching everyone else for a few minutes.

Our female Red-bellied Woodpecker

Last for tonight (this morning)...
A chubby looking Mockingbird!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A female Mallard walking on water.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This male had his eye on the girl above.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Melbourne, FL

Beautiful start, Margaret. And I love that Scissor-tailed Flycatcher! I missed my Flycatchers this winter. I got a lot of shots to upload, but last night we had storms and our power was out for five hours, so was not able to upload them.....and now I have to head off for that pesky thing called "work". I'll upload one shot before leaving. This is a White Ibis fly over. Have a nice day everyone. Pelle, hope you are feeling better every day!

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

MargaretK, Such beautiful pics of the Cormorant and Honeyeater. Thanks so much for starting the new thread!

Nanny, Sweet Song Sparrow!

Margaret, Nice shots of the Red-tailed and Sharp-shinned Hawks!!

Missy, I Love the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers!!! Sweet Nuthatch too!

VA, Very nice pics. Love the Myrtle Warbler and Red-bellied Woodpecker! My females are starting to come in to the feeders more now.

Gary, Beautiful Mallards!!

GP, Nice catch on the White Ibis!!

Norman, OK

FOY Lark Sparrow feeding on broadcast grain this morning. Almost all of the juncos and a lot of the finches are gone. I'm hoping for scissortails and hummers this week.

Although mocking birds are common around here, I've never seen one in my yard until yesterday. Had a pair that hunted the entire yard and even trespassed on the BB house. The BBs were gone, so I didn't get to see Daddy's reaction to a feisty mocker sitting on his box.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

Another of one of the mockers doing the wing-raising routine. I've heard it debated what this is about, but seems to be a maneuver to force movement of insects to me.

Marlton, NJ

Nice shots red!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Poof = You type a reply and you swear that you hit the send button...but no post from you. POOF... its gone! I figured out that alot of time I forget to hit the send....LOL!

I was so happy to hear the Eastern Towhee calling yesterday morning...and again this morning. I told DH yesterday that NOW it is really spring! I just love hearing tow-hee all summer! Saw our Great Blue Heron fly over this morning too!

The Crows are nesting now....so lots of visits for peanuts now. This is from last week.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Hey, don't put out the blue bowl nanny, or the crows will be scared!

White Pelican.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lots and lots of American Coot. There's also various ducks mixed in there…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Norman, OK

A Red-shouldered hawk from yesterday.

Norman, OK

And a Cedar Waxwing.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Gosh, these threads really go by quickly.

They are all wonderful, so I'll just say fantastic job, folks. I just love looking at your pictures.

Hack, I'll trade you a pair of RB woodpeckers for some of your Goldfinch. For some reason, mine do not like nyjer seed.

Yikes--this Grackle looks mean!

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Marlton, NJ

Nanny, Love the Crow!

Mrs Ed, Great shot of the White Pelican!

Red, Nice ones of the Hawk and Waxwing!

GG, Your Grackle does look mean!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Margaret for the new thread. I just love to see your various kind of Honeyeaters, I especially enjoyed that Brown Honeyeater singing its heart out. Nan Congrats on your Oregon Form Junco. I haven't seen any kind of Juncos here, I'd like one to visit. MargaretC, nice pics. of the Hawks. Missy the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers -- wow, the first time I saw their picture (from Reddirtretiree last year I think), I was smitten. I hope to see one in person someday. Hack, please keep me posted on your BB's experiences. Feeding them and attracting them to our back yard is a fun project. I'm with you on that. Last summer I saw mass-housing built by Barn Swallows under a bridge by the Logan Martin Dam, if you ever down this part of the woods. Give us a holler, DH and I will be glad to give you a boat ride to watch those Swallows. I've yet able to capture a close up pic. of them however. Nice job with your pics. there LindaTx. Wild Rose, love your little Yellow Rumped Warbler. I've said before and I'll say it again. lol. Gary, your Mallards pictures are so crisp and clear they're beautiful. GP love those White Ibis, Red I especially enjoyed those birds with their antics. Marna, your pic. of the American Coots explains why I haven't seen that many of them around here....the majority of them has embrace their journey North!

Mourning Dove watching the frenzy activity at the feeder below:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll echo Pelle's "The Grackle does...." indeed. Hi Pelle. Love those Pelicans and I'm drooling over those Waxwings, guess I'll have to wait until the falls when they will pass by here again.

Since I'm fairly new to "birdwatching" per se, why is it that the female Red-bellied did not come to the feeders all winter. What makes her stay away until spring?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm fairly new to birding myself, but my guess is 'Supply and demand?' theory? My Blue Birds are found to the suet feeder over the winter because our winter was ecceptionally long. The food source was scarce? They ventured out and tried other foodstuff?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread Margaret....it is such a pleasure to see your beautiful birds down under! I love the Honeyeaters!

Very nice shots everyone..looks like you've all been very busy!

Hack..in my case the poofing is due to hitting the wrong keys and everything disappearing! I am still trying to get used to the new computer but the touch is driving me nuts. If I had to rely on my typing to eat I would starve to death!!

Here is one of the male American Goldfinches from the other day...

Thumbnail by dellrose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.