Will these cannas rebound?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

In doing some spring yard clean-up, I discovered these two pots of cannas I'd gotten on clearance at the end of last year from a local nursery. They had blooms and leaves then,and I cut them back at the time, but I guess hubby put them behind a shed and forgot to tell me. Like most folks along the mid-atlantic and south, we had an unseasonably cold, snowy winter. Any chance they might bounce back? I'm not overly hopeful because these are it pots -- which would normally kick up growth before the ones in the ground -- but my in-ground cannas are already popping up, and I see no signs of life from this pot.

They're identified as "Canna Futurity Pink". This is one pot.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

This is the second pot.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I would take them out of the pots, check the root for rotting, they could of froze being above the ground.. If there mushy then no, never know you might have a piece you could save..
jen

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I'll do that tomorrow. I've never done that before, so I guess that means rinsing all the dirt from the roots to reveal what's there?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have to bring mine in for winter storage and i just knocked the dirt off till it was clean with the bristles of a broom.. However if your soil is wet, then yes wash it off.. You might have to anyways to see the total root.. Since your looking for damage.. if its at all muchy or black, could even be hallow.. then its not a good sign.. But like you said if your others are coming up, might not be a good sign..
jen

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but won't get my hopes too high. It's a bummer though because these had really pretty peach colored blooms and were so beautiful. I didn't have anything like that (colorwise) in my landscape and was looking forward to adding some this year. :-(

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks much for posting that video link in the other thread, Jen! I watched it before I went out and tore into these cannas I was wondering about, and I found a few mushy bulbs/tubers, but several that were still pretty firm. I just planted them to see what happens to 'em. Will keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

ok sounds like you might be ok.. let us know how it goes
jen

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

And so did they come back?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

No. :(

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh drat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.