Flowering cherry ID

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have had this tree for 28 Yrs., and I moved it from my old home site, as a seedling.
All I have ever heard these trees called is, Chinese flowering cheery, and some times "Chinese weeping cherry".
I was looking at the tree on plant files, and it said they are not from see, and the ones I have do seed, although some what rare.I will find small seedlings from this tree every now, and then.

I would like to know just what I have here is. Thank you, Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

This is another shot. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Danville, IN

There are many varieties of Japanese Flowering Cherry or Oriental Cherry (Prunus serrulata). It might also be Yoshino Cherry (Prunus X yedoensis, which again has at least a dozen cultivars. When it leafs out, photo a leaf and post it. That will make identification easier.

The indivigual flowers are smaller, than Yoshino, and the tree doesn't spred like that either.
I will get a leaf photo, and speaking of leaves, they are the first to shead in early fall.
Thank you, Mike

Danville, IN

The most commonly-available Yoshino cherry's flowers are white, but there are other cultivars, some of which are pink, which I think yours are (from the photo).

Yes, mine are a true pink, or light pink, but unmistakingly pink.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

This is a seedling, that I might have to distroy, due to location, and the leaves are more advanced than the mother tree. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.