Tall Perennial phlox- what makes it happy?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've moved it twice and need to move it again; (don't know why I planted so close to a small tree). What does a perennial tall phlox like? Gets to about two feet plus stems in summer but also gets mildew, and hasn't bloomed well yet.

Athens, PA

Sally

Mine are in full sun - it would probably be a good idea to make sure there is plenty of room around the plant so there is good air circulation.

I have not had any problems with mildew, but have had some other plants with that problem. I have found that spraying with a fungicide goes a long way to keeping mildew at bay.

P.S. I have moved mine several times too. They seem to take the moving thing pretty well. ^_^

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Thanks Carolyn! Maybe this'll be my good year. It doesn't help that it's been in my "Not sure what I expect from this ' bed.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have phlox in full sun and others in bright shade. The ones in the bright shade bloom but are not near as happy as the ones in full sun. These multiply like crazy! They are also fragrant (a bonus). They all get mildew every year. I just look the other way. It doesn't seem to keep them from blooming nor multiplying. We have a lot of humidity here in the summer.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Some varieties are more mildew resistant than others. "David" seems to resist mildew more than others I have had. Mine also did a lot better when I moved them from partial shade to full sun.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I've found that phlox likes a lot of sun and some room around them to keep the mildew at bay. I also water mine with a soaker hose to avoid getting water on the leaves.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Full sun is what makes mine thrive. here's my bright eyes

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Another shot. Ican't find the picture of the whole plant.

I have other phlox in full sun also. I had major puter problems and have all my pics stored to a usb drive, and I can't find a thing on there. one of these days I'll organize my photos so I can find certain pics easy enough.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Thanks! Today I moved mine (Robert Poore) to a more open spot and amended the soil at the same time, and split the clump. Stand back! I'm sure it will be great this year!
oh kathy I had tons of pics and fairly organized only to have major problems with that puter and can't get to them for now.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Don't you just hate that. How much we rely on our computers to store photos. If my organization skills were as good as my gardening skills LOL I'd be able to find pictures in a minute

You got it.
I should be out now getting new seasonal pictures, already missed my chance for crocus pics for another year. I had some great pictures!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I agree that full sun is the best for phlox, I top feed with compost and a time released fertilizer. I also follow the instructions in "The Well-Tended Perennial Garden " By Tracy DiSabato-Aust.
I pinch the outer stems shorter in the front of the plant, and pinch higher as I go to the center.
In this picture the longer stems are to the fence as the fence supports the stems, I pinched the front that faces the garden shorter. There are 3 plants here, one in the corner of the fence and 1 to each side.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Beautiful! You must know what makes it happy.
The rain and now the sun today is making my newly moved plants happy. I will top dress with compost now that it's settled.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I didn't realize that about pinching the stems, that's neat. Love the picture

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I definitely like the way the "tiered" flower heads look!! I'll have to try pinching mine! Samantha

Athens, PA

Chris

that is gorgeous! I will have to try that with mine. Thank you for the tip!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

If no one minds, I have a question about small bare root phlox. Just received them (Cocktail Sherbet) and they look a bit dried out. Should I dip their feet in a smidge of water or just pot up (they're small) and water in and see how or if they recover?

I am thinking most anything bare root that looks dry would not mind soaking a little water before potting.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I would leave them in a glass of water over night. Then, plant them up. I use a little Miracle Grow "Quick Start". It's to helps root formation.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks--didn't have the MG but did add a drop of Super Thrive and they look like living things again:) Gonna pot them up today! Thanks for the advice--helped alot!

Now is the time to start pinching your tall garden phlox. The ones on the outside, I pinch lower, then work my way up. you can pinch in stages if the center part is not tall enough. Which is what I do.
I also do this with Sedum like Autumn Joy.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Thanks for the reminder!
I see buds on one of my mums (fall bllomers from pots last year that survived winter) Can I still pinch them?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I think you pinch mums up through July 4 then stop.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I just cut my mums down to 3". They get so gangly. If they don't make it: oops! My mums reseed like crazy.

Thanks!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Ladygardener- I just pruned my Phlox as per your idea- now can someone tell me if the tips would be likely to root? I have put them in water (just in case)

Jo Do you do mum cuttings? I think you would do them just like mums. I'm not sure very tinder tips would root, but you can always try. I always use rooting hormone and a potting soil mix whatever I have on hand and keep moist for whatever I am trying to root..

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Jo,
Last year, I put phlox tips into my wintersowing jugs (with potting soil in them), after dipping the tips in root hormone, and they developed nice roots, and I transplanted them to my gardens in the fall. It was really easy, and I pretty much ignored them.

pgt thanks for the info! I'll try that too

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

pgt, me too. I will take them out of the water and use rooting hormone to start them in soil. They were so pretty in their first year last year, I would love to have more.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I bet it would like living at my house better than yours! LOL! What color is it supposed to be?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

My Phlox is Peppermint something- a brightly variegated pink. I hope my cuttings root for me.

I treated cuttings and have them potted, of Robert Poore (I think) its white.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.